FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed by the Military & "Meal-on-Ground": SHA-SZX on Shanghai Airlines 757 (+pics)
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:11 am
PlaneHunter

Safety Card:

"IFE" on board: TV features about the company and the destination were shown on large screens:

View from my seat:

The ferry left the harbor some minutes early and set course for Kowloon. It was a quite smooth and interesting ride along the coastline. I tried to take some pictures of the scenery and some ships, but the windows were dirty and we were also facing the sun sometimes.

Fascinating Hong Kong
About an hour after departure we passed Hong Kong Island's famous skyline:

We quickly passed immigration at the China Ferry Terminal and walked to our hotel, The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong. It is very recommendable, considering quality, price and location. We were told by a friendly employee that our booked room category wasn't available today - so we were upgraded and got a room with harbor view. Hong Kong's skyline at night is always a stunning sight:

Another view, this time from the pier:

We walked along the pier for a while and decided to have dinner in one of Hong Kong's largest shopping malls, the Harbour City. An Indian restaurant caught our attention and I ordered a meal with different tidbits (including grilled chicken breast and lamb curry). Simply delicious:

Story to be continued...

Conclusion
Flying Shanghai Airlines was a positive experience - despite the delays which weren't caused by the airline. Check-in was smooth, both ground and flight staff were friendly and spoke English quite well. However, the boarding process was a bit chaotic. The aircraft's cabin was clean and in flawless condition, seat comfort and pitch were good. It was the right decision to serve the meal prior to departure, but there should have been at least one more round of drink service later during the flight. While the catering may not be to everyone's taste, it's respectable to get a hot meal with so many items on a two-hour domestic flight. Who knows how long the Chinese carriers will continue to provide that level of service. The lack of IFE during the flight was not a major disappointment. Not to forget: 1128 miles were added to my Miles&More account immediately.

Next report: HKG-TPE-HKG on EVA Air

Best Regards,
PlaneHunter