FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying into FRA - taking train to Dusseldorf - Please help?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:40 am
tfar

Originally Posted by woojink
Thank you everyone for the advice. I just have a couple of more questions...

I arrive into FRA late morning on a Monday, so I will likely take a train around 1pm or so. I would much prefer to just buy the ticket once I get to FRA, but is that risky? It appears that there are a lot of trains going from FRA to Dusseldorf, so I am assuming that getting a seat should not be difficult. Is that assumption an accurate one?

Secondly, I looked on the DB site, but could not find any details about the different class of service. What are the differences between First Class and Second Class? My preference will be to buy a First Class ticket when I arrive into FRA.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Shouldn't be problem finding a seat on Monday around 1pm. The trains are VERY comfortable even in second class. For a short trip like this it is absolutely not worth it, IMHO. There are only two valid reasons to choose first in an ICE (only part of your travel will be ICE):1. You need/want quiet. The first class is normally much more quiet simply because there are less people and those that are there are there precisely because it's quiet, so they are quiet, too. 2. You are an absolute snob and don't want to sit with "ordinary" people.

Maybe there is a third reason. The color scheme in first is more agreable.

I'd say don't waste your money. The ticket is expensive enough as is.

@FlyingLawyer
OF COURSE it is the safest way of transport. Did I ever say it wasn't?

The only thing I said, and it will be difficult to refute even for a trial lawyer, is that the TGV is safer. Even the figures in the link you provided show that. The TGV has been in operation longer with less injuries and less fatalities. The wheel and axle deal is not over yet. The discussion is therefore not non-sense. I take offense at the idea (and your remark) that any discussion I ever start could be non-sense.

I also didn't tell him not to take the train and I, myself, would not hesitate a second to take the train. So if you don't get hung up on a little remark I made in parentheses, I don't need to get hung up on you calling that non-sense.

Cheers,

Till