FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying into FRA - taking train to Dusseldorf - Please help?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:10 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tfar
Whay they said!

In addition, you want to take only trains marked ICE or IC. The ICE is the high--speed train like the TGV in France (just not as safe). The IC is the regular speed Intercity train. You can check how much faster the ICE is on your route than the IC, and if it's worth the extra money for you. My guess is that a one-way FRA-DUS is around 60 Euros on ICE.

You should not take RB or IR trains. Those are really slow.
There are only ICE and IC trains on the new track from FRA to DUS. There are no IC trains running on this route, it is ICE only. The few remaining IC trains travel the romantic Rhine valley route. The longer journey is not a result of the train type but of the route (and some people come only to travel on this route, it is one of the most scenic tracks we have in Germany). The ICE's running on the Rhine valley route are not a minute faster.

I do not understand the remark that the ICE is "not as safe" as a French TGV. It is certainly not as filthy as a Thalys, more comfortable as a TGV and for sure safer than any plane in the US. A TGV being safer? I travel the route once or twice a week and this safety remark creates surplus concerns.