FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which *A program is the fastest way to gold?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:42 pm
ButcherBird

Originally Posted by maestro1981

I plan to fly 3-4 times in Economy Class this year from Australia to Europe
Is this year an exception, or does it reflect your typical yearly travel pattern?.

An economy return from Sydney to Europe earns 20k plus miles. If you’re doing the trip 3 or 4 times a year you will qualify for Gold Status under any number of schemes. I don’t think it is particularly relevant whether you achieve status at 35k, 40k or whatever – your only requirement is that you can achieve and retain that status flying your typical 60-80k a year and you need to look at the other benefits that each scheme offers.

You mention that you mostly fly SQ. You will achieve Krisflyer Gold at 50k. As Krisflyer Gold you’ve got the best chance of getting an upgrade or OpUp on a SQ flight. KF Gold also gets you lounge access when flying Virgin Atlantic and Silkair (in addition to the regular Star Alliance carriers). Krisflyer also partner with Amex in Australia and allow you to redeem credit card points on a 1:1 basis into your Krisflyer account.

If you are flying 50k plus miles, year-in-year-out and SQ are your preferred carrier I would go with Krisflyer. If this year is not typical and your mileage will be considerably less in future years then you really need to focus on which scheme will allow you to retain Gold for the longest period and has the least onerous conditions for requalification (possibly OZ?).