FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paying Federal and State income taxes with SkyMiles Amex?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:37 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by jtrue28
I pay our quarterly estimated taxes with our AMEX. One of the big reasons we're paying out the a$$ for the Reserve card (more MQMs). Last year AMEX was running double miles on your April 15th tax payment....that was really nice (although they capped it at 20,000 miles). The convenience fees suck, but I think the MQMs and bonus miles at $30K and $60K more than make up for them.
Did I miss something?

I thought the MQM thresholds were at $30k and $60k.

Sorry about the cross-post. Originally I was considering using the SPG Amex or the Schwab Visa or the SM Amex.

If I'm going to do it at al, it will be the SM Amex because the bill is so high that it will more than hit the first Miles Boost.

I have to pay this tax regardless.

So if I write a check, I get no miles but I'm not paying the convenience fee, which will go over $1000.

So that $1000 will get me tens of thousands of miles, the 10,000 MQM miles and a lot of the charges towards the second 10,000 MQM miles.

The question is, 1) will Amex count it and it sounds like they will and 2) is it the best use of the over $1000 in convenience fees, to get the miles.

If I pay the convenience fee, I get tens of thousands of miles plus the 10,000 MQM and probably will make it likely I hit the second Miles Boost this year.

If I don't pay it, I get no miles but I still pay the big tax bill.