Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Paying Federal and State income taxes with SkyMiles Amex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:11 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS

Have a big tax bill due.

The bill would be enough to get me the 10,000 MQM Miles Boost at $25k and a big chunk of the way towards a second 10,000 MQM Miles Boost at $50k.

Has anyone paid taxes with their SkyMiles Amex via officialpayments.com?

Any problems with Amex denying those transactions just for the regular SkyMiles or counting towards the Miles Boost thresholds?

Anyone pay with multiple charges because the credit limits didn't cover all the charges they needed to make?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Cross post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...us-thread.html
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
No problems using it. A great way to get miles! No reason to deny getting miles as it is promoted by both DL and AMEX.

No experience with credit limits.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by jackplum
A great way to get miles!
Not such a great way to get miles.

Let's say you owe $8000 in taxes. You'll pay $199.20 in convenience fees and get 8000 SM.

But you can purchase 4000 SM from DL for $118.25 and receive 4000 bonus miles for a total of 8000 miles.

Alternatively, for the $199.20 you'd pay in convenience fees, you could get 13,477 SM directly from DL instead of just 8000 (of course you have to purchase in increments of 2000 miles). Since you'd still be using your Delta AMEX, you'd still get the same Mileage Boost benefit.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
I pay our quarterly estimated taxes with our AMEX. One of the big reasons we're paying out the a$$ for the Reserve card (more MQMs). Last year AMEX was running double miles on your April 15th tax payment....that was really nice (although they capped it at 20,000 miles). The convenience fees suck, but I think the MQMs and bonus miles at $30K and $60K more than make up for them.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by jtrue28
I pay our quarterly estimated taxes with our AMEX. One of the big reasons we're paying out the a$$ for the Reserve card (more MQMs). Last year AMEX was running double miles on your April 15th tax payment....that was really nice (although they capped it at 20,000 miles). The convenience fees suck, but I think the MQMs and bonus miles at $30K and $60K more than make up for them.
If they were offering double miles for April 15th payment, it would be a better deal. But the way I described above gives you the same benefit towards the MQMs and bonus miles, but nets you more miles along the way. The 100% bonus miles for purchasing miles from DL is a limited time offer.

...assuming you are able to pay your taxes using cash.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by DLFan2
But the way I described above gives you the same benefit towards the MQMs and bonus miles, but nets you more miles along the way.
Am I missing something, or isn't the OP most concerned about whether credit would be received toward meeting the MQM component of the Miles Boost? If the OP simply bought $200 in miles, he/she would only be $200 closer to the first MQM Miles Boost ...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Am I missing something, or isn't the OP most concerned about whether credit would be received toward meeting the MQM component of the Miles Boost? If the OP simply bought $200 in miles, he/she would only be $200 closer to the first MQM Miles Boost ...
from multiple times doing this scenario (using my DL branded card to pay my taxes)....all $$$ spent on taxes counts towards the MQM threshold....even the convenience fee.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:37 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Did I miss something?

I thought the MQM thresholds were at $30k and $60k.

Sorry about the cross-post. Originally I was considering using the SPG Amex or the Schwab Visa or the SM Amex.

If I'm going to do it at al, it will be the SM Amex because the bill is so high that it will more than hit the first Miles Boost.

I have to pay this tax regardless.

So if I write a check, I get no miles but I'm not paying the convenience fee, which will go over $1000.

So that $1000 will get me tens of thousands of miles, the 10,000 MQM miles and a lot of the charges towards the second 10,000 MQM miles.

The question is, 1) will Amex count it and it sounds like they will and 2) is it the best use of the over $1000 in convenience fees, to get the miles.

If I pay the convenience fee, I get tens of thousands of miles plus the 10,000 MQM and probably will make it likely I hit the second Miles Boost this year.

If I don't pay it, I get no miles but I still pay the big tax bill.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
IIRC There have been mileage bonuses in the past though maybe targeted.

YMMV

I'm paying them anyway so might as well get something for it.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by exp
Did I miss something?

I thought the MQM thresholds were at $30k and $60k.
DL Reserve AmEx (30K, 60K) thresholds are different from the DL Platinum AmEx (25K, 50K)
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I do it all the time. Yes the fee sucks but you can rack up when there's a double miles promo.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Marylou
I do it all the time. Yes the fee sucks but you can rack up when there's a double miles promo.
Do they still have those?

I didn't get one last year but a bunch the year before.

Charged more though.

Maybe being too good a customer, they don't offer you the promos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.