FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHOP Free Pancake Day... Mark Your Calendar!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:03 am
KathyWdrf
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
I think these promotions are a great way to get customers into their stores. This one even adds a charitable component which is certainly a plus.

However, for the consumer, is it really worth the time? Depending on how well publicized this is, the crowds could be significant. I remember seeing long lines at Denny's for their free promo but I think they gave away a full breakfast. This is just for 3 small pancakes.

Considering the trade off between time and money, how long is it reasonable to wait in line for this? I don't go to IHOP anymore (since I discovered the Original Pancake House), so I don't know what a Short Stack costs. I can't imagine it's more than $4.
Totally agree with you. The cost in driving time, waiting in line, etc., seems like it would far exceed the puny benefit. The main exceptions would be if the distance isn't great and/or you are going there anyway (perhaps a regular customer).

Back when this forum was focused on airline miles and hotel points, the offers were for things you could typically do quickly online, without having to transport yourself across town (or to the other side of the county). E.g., spend a few minutes filling out a survey online, get a few hundred miles or points; or use a particular online shopping portal, etc.

These offers for "free" breakfasts and such (the one at Ikea, for example, only normally sells for about $2 anyhow) are just not in the same league as stuff (esp. miles/points) you can get via internet surfing. FT is not FW or SD.