Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

IHOP Free Pancake Day... Mark Your Calendar!

IHOP Free Pancake Day... Mark Your Calendar!

Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Thumbs up IHOP Free Pancake Day... Mark Your Calendar!

National Pancake Day is on February 12, 2008, which gives you plenty of time to mark your calendars and take advantage of the IHOP offer of a free Short Stack on that day. IHOP only asks that participants consider making a donation to local Children's Hospitals. Last year they collected over $625,000 for charity.

http://www.ihoppancakeday.com/

Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Free Pancakes on 2/12/08

Just in case any FTer is visiting IHOP tomorrow, it's the IHOP Free Pancakes Day!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Feb 24, 2009

http://www.ihoppancakeday.com/
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
I think these promotions are a great way to get customers into their stores. This one even adds a charitable component which is certainly a plus.

However, for the consumer, is it really worth the time? Depending on how well publicized this is, the crowds could be significant. I remember seeing long lines at Denny's for their free promo but I think they gave away a full breakfast. This is just for 3 small pancakes.

Considering the trade off between time and money, how long is it reasonable to wait in line for this? I don't go to IHOP anymore (since I discovered the Original Pancake House), so I don't know what a Short Stack costs. I can't imagine it's more than $4.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:13 am

thanks to prspad for the heads up. my calendar is now marked for next year...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, DL, Continental, Southwest RR, TripRewards, Marriott, HHonors
My calendar is marked! Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Reminder that tomorrow is the day for this one...
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
I think these promotions are a great way to get customers into their stores. This one even adds a charitable component which is certainly a plus.

However, for the consumer, is it really worth the time? Depending on how well publicized this is, the crowds could be significant. I remember seeing long lines at Denny's for their free promo but I think they gave away a full breakfast. This is just for 3 small pancakes.

Considering the trade off between time and money, how long is it reasonable to wait in line for this? I don't go to IHOP anymore (since I discovered the Original Pancake House), so I don't know what a Short Stack costs. I can't imagine it's more than $4.
Totally agree with you. The cost in driving time, waiting in line, etc., seems like it would far exceed the puny benefit. The main exceptions would be if the distance isn't great and/or you are going there anyway (perhaps a regular customer).

Back when this forum was focused on airline miles and hotel points, the offers were for things you could typically do quickly online, without having to transport yourself across town (or to the other side of the county). E.g., spend a few minutes filling out a survey online, get a few hundred miles or points; or use a particular online shopping portal, etc.

These offers for "free" breakfasts and such (the one at Ikea, for example, only normally sells for about $2 anyhow) are just not in the same league as stuff (esp. miles/points) you can get via internet surfing. FT is not FW or SD.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
These offers for "free" breakfasts and such (the one at Ikea, for example, only normally sells for about $2 anyhow) are just not in the same league as stuff (esp. miles/points) you can get via internet surfing. FT is not FW or SD.
While I don't disagree with most of your points around not being in the same league as some miles/points online offers, I do think that it still nice and worthy to see "offers" like these. If someone prefers the more traditional miles/points stuff, those are still here and not going anywhere.

(And remember while the pancakes are free, you do get the opportunity to donate to a nice charity.)
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While I don't disagree with most of your points around not being in the same league as some miles/points online offers, I do think that it still nice and worthy to see "offers" like these. If someone prefers the more traditional miles/points stuff, those are still here and not going anywhere.

(And remember while the pancakes are free, you do get the opportunity to donate to a nice charity.)
Totally agree. Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I had free pancakes, a side, tipped well (generous even if the pancakes weren't free) and threw some dollar coins in the exceedingly large charity box.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:20 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
Actually, the regular menu price for a short stack at IHOP is $5.29. I was up early that day thanks to some jet lag so i headed out to my local IHOP at around 7:30am. It was busy, but no wait. Had a "never empty" pot of coffee (quite good!) and a short stack. They came in about two minutes and were piping hot... they must have been pumping them out at full speed. It's been a loooong time since I had pancakes at IHOP, they were quite tasty! Enjoyed the many flavored syrups (boysenberry and butter pecan are my faves). And had a leisurely time reading the paper as well. The bill was $2.48, less than I usually pay at SBUX for one grande drink.

Great deal and quite enjoyable; I say keep them coming with these offers, no matter how insignificant they might seem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.