FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris - things open on New Years Day
View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:19 pm
milepig
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
You may know this but on New Year's Eve, virtually all places to eat have a special menu, some kind of music (if only a stereo), and much higher than usual prices. You'll need to check this out, and also to make reservations.

One mid-line place we go to is Oscar, on the right bank a few blocks from both the Alma and Iena metro stations. Here's a link with info:

http://www.eat-out.net/restaurant-paris/rp158193-oscar

This is just a neighborhood place but has reliably good food and very welcoming staff. From there, you could walk down to Trocadero, which is a good place to see the Tour Eiffel across the river. It's about a 15 minute walk from Oscar to Trocadero, and about that again to walk across the river to the Tower.

The prior post about how nuts it will be anywhere near the Tower on New Year's Eve should be taken to heart. Both there and Trocadero will be filled with tourists, youths (if that's a word) of all attitudes, and many hustlers asking "Do you speak English" as their friend picks your pocket. Don't let that scare or detour you; just be prepared, lock down your valuables, and have a good time.
Thanks for the tips. We already have reservations at Au Petit Tonneau, which I believe just has the regular menu.

I'm planning to take the bare minimum with me that evening - Credit Card and ID should just about do it. (oh, and Mrs. Milepig, of course)

And, since you asked, the word is "youds", to quote a favorite movie I'm blanking on the name of at the moment.