FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Beijing Wangfujing {CHN}
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:12 pm
NeverStill

Programs: SQ S-PPS, UA 1K, HH Diamond
Not yet ready for full operation

I stayed at the Hilton Wangfujing for five nights during the week of US Thanksgiving. The first bad sign was the giant construction board that surrounds the Hotel/Macau Center at street level, because the mall isn't open yet. Part of the entrance to the hotel is open, while the other half is blocked off for construction. Across the street is another farther-behind construction site.

Check-in was fine, but my "upgrade" to the executive floor meant a downgrade to a smaller room than what I had reserved (deluxe plus). The front desk staff didn't understand and I was too jetlagged to want to argue. In hindsight I doubt that they had any of my reserved rooms fitted out yet.

I had a nice welcome note and gifts from the GM in my room, which while not as big as I had hoped, was new and well designed. It was quiet too from street noise, but there was a problem with the ventilation that other guests also reported that made it hot in the rooms no matter how low one set the thermostat. Best bet was to leave it off and open the window for awhile before going to bed.

The pool was not open yet (which I knew from the website) and the gym is in a temporary small room on that floor which is still under construction. Many of the guest floors appeared to be under construction too and there is noise from this work during the day as they note on the website. I ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant and breakfast at the Macau/Western restaurant, and in each case I was the only party in the restaurant. So it's still a bit dead.

The lounge was smallish, but the food was quite good. On Thanksgiving they even had turkey and stuffing during cocktail service. Service in general was ok and probably still in training. They are planning for a March 2009 grand opening which would probably be a better time to assess this hotel. It's very convenient for some as it's less than half a block from Wangfujing shopping street. There's some stiff competition in that part of Beijing though with the Regent, Peninsula, Grand Hyatt and other hotels within walking distance.