FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7th Arrondissement!
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:51 am
Helena Handbaskets

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by techgirl
Thoumieux is one of my very favorite places to dine in Paris. Its nothing flashy or Michelin starred but a very "neighborhood" kind of joint ...(
I once went to Thoumieux to test their reputation for serving an exceptional cassoulet, and was blown away. That was in February. Another year I returned in the summer and returned to Thoumieux for the cassoulet. On that occasion I was disappointed.

I don't know if this is what happened, but I reasoned that since cassoulet is traditionally a winter dish, they go to the trouble to do the several-days-long authentic preparation in the winter, but in the summer they don't anticipate much demand, so the summer preparation is simply a matter of throwing the ingredients together and heating them up. If I'm right, you might be well advised in general not to order cassoulet in warm weather, but you should definitely try it at Thoumieux in the winter.

My favorite restaurant in the 7th (not that I've tried them all) is L'Affriolé on rue Malar (I don't remember the number). A small place with a very inventive (and delicious) approach. Whatever you order will be made from the ingredients listed on the menu, but be prepared for it to resemble nothing like what you might imagine from the menu listing.

If you like southwestern French (who doesn't?), L'Ami Jean is just a few doors down from L'Affriolé.

I seem to also recall a big tourist attraction and a large park somewhere in the 7th, but can't recall the name or the precise location right now...

btw I'm very envious of the apartment. What a dream.