7th Arrondissement!

Old Nov 6, 08, 7:22 am
Original Poster

7th Arrondissement!

My husband and I finally bit the bullet and bought an apartment in Paris ... in the 7th arrondissement! We will be going very soon for the closing and to start to furnish, etc. As well as we know Paris, I would like to really concentrate on the 7th and get to know it extremely well. So, if anyone has any favorite shops, restaurants, etc. to recommend in the 7th ... I would be very appreciative!

THANKS!

Veronica
Old Nov 6, 08, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thoumieux is one of my very favorite places to dine in Paris. Its nothing flashy or Michelin starred but a very "neighborhood" kind of joint - I think the address is 79 Rue St. Dominique if my memory serves me correctly.

When I'm back home I'll look up some of my other favorites in the area... I've probably spent more time in the 7th than any other - sadly, I know most of the shops I like by sight/walking vs. name/address so my "there's a great little hardware store on Rue St. Dominique" may not help.
Old Nov 6, 08, 9:19 am

Programs: All of the above
Congratulations!!!I am so jealous!!! Try Cinq Mars on Rue de Verneuil. Very small,very hip and reasonable in price, and good food! We stayed in an apt on Rue de Bac last spring and loved this place.
Old Nov 6, 08, 9:41 am

Isn't that right by Rue Cler made famous by Rick Steves? A nice flat street with lots of shops, but my preference is Rue Mouffetard on the other side of town. Longer, more restaurants and too big of a hill for most american tourists.
Old Nov 6, 08, 10:00 am
iff

While not huge, the 7th isn't exactly tiny, either. What area will you be in?

Of course you'll get to know much better once you're there and walking around in your neighborhood.

Congrats on your new apartment!
Old Nov 6, 08, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djm3 View Post
Isn't that right by Rue Cler made famous by Rick Steves? A nice flat street with lots of shops, but my preference is Rue Mouffetard on the other side of town. Longer, more restaurants and too big of a hill for most american tourists.
i would strongly recommend you get a rick steves book, and avoid everything he mentions.
Old Nov 6, 08, 11:51 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
Thoumieux is one of my very favorite places to dine in Paris. Its nothing flashy or Michelin starred but a very "neighborhood" kind of joint ...(
I once went to Thoumieux to test their reputation for serving an exceptional cassoulet, and was blown away. That was in February. Another year I returned in the summer and returned to Thoumieux for the cassoulet. On that occasion I was disappointed.

I don't know if this is what happened, but I reasoned that since cassoulet is traditionally a winter dish, they go to the trouble to do the several-days-long authentic preparation in the winter, but in the summer they don't anticipate much demand, so the summer preparation is simply a matter of throwing the ingredients together and heating them up. If I'm right, you might be well advised in general not to order cassoulet in warm weather, but you should definitely try it at Thoumieux in the winter.

My favorite restaurant in the 7th (not that I've tried them all) is L'Affriolé on rue Malar (I don't remember the number). A small place with a very inventive (and delicious) approach. Whatever you order will be made from the ingredients listed on the menu, but be prepared for it to resemble nothing like what you might imagine from the menu listing.

If you like southwestern French (who doesn't?), L'Ami Jean is just a few doors down from L'Affriolé.

I seem to also recall a big tourist attraction and a large park somewhere in the 7th, but can't recall the name or the precise location right now...

btw I'm very envious of the apartment. What a dream.
Old Nov 7, 08, 12:05 am

Programs: All of the above
I've never read Rick Steve's travel book...we ate at Cinq Mars with our friends who lived in Paris as they frequented it often
Old Nov 7, 08, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
My husband and I finally bit the bullet and bought an apartment in Paris ... in the 7th arrondissement! We will be going very soon for the closing and to start to furnish, etc. As well as we know Paris, I would like to really concentrate on the 7th and get to know it extremely well. So, if anyone has any favorite shops, restaurants, etc. to recommend in the 7th ... I would be very appreciative!

THANKS!

Veronica
I will glady share my knowledge in return for a week in your apartment

Congratulations!
Old Nov 7, 08, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
i would strongly recommend you get a rick steves book, and avoid everything he mentions.
As to restaurants, I agree. But he provides great info on access, getting around and what's worth seeing.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Nov 7, 08 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 8, 08, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I also recommend the cassoulet at Thoumieux.

And the wine and tartines at Au Sauvignon (don't miss the risqué postcards and artwork!).
Old Nov 10, 08, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
7eme restaurant

My personal favorite (not based on much experience!) in 7eme is Au Bon Accueil, 14 rue de Monttessuy (a few blocks E. of Le Tour Gustave Eiffel). Very cozy, not many tourists seemed to be there the couple of times I've tried it.
Old Dec 27, 08, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PL 1.4 million miles
7th restuarants

L'Ami Jean,47.05.86.89 27 rue Malar
Auguste, 54 Rue de Bourgogne 45.51.61.09
D'Chez Eux, 2 Ave de Lowendal 47.05,52,55
Fables de la Fontaine 131 rue Saint-Dominique 44.18.37.55
Le Florimond, 11 bis rue Chomel, 45.59.04.54
Au Pied du Fouet 45 rue de Babylone 47.05.12.27

All are bistro like. Fables the most famous. Fouet just a little neighborhood place. Great reasonable food at all of them.

The star chefs have L'Atelier and Arpege in the 7th as well
Old Dec 28, 08, 9:24 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Jumping in here with a correction:

Le Florimond,
19, av. de la Motte-Picquet
75007 Paris
45-55-40-38
métro: Ecole Militaire
Old Dec 28, 08, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM; UA Sil; DL GM
A little farther afield, there are tons of newish wonderful little restaurants with good price/quality ratio in the 15th. Check Figaroscope and the French Dining forum on eGullet to keep up to date. I've enjoyed Bon Acceuil and Au Gout Dujour recently.

Search this Thread