FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA requirements for address and DOB
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:45 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I will be posting more about this soon - TSA/DHS has decided to take advantage of their lack of Congressional oversight, and ram through most of the key components of SecureFlight, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them - including Congress.

SecureFlight (I will be posting the actual data points soon, as promised) is being designed as an informational loop-back to RealID. In a nutshell, you will be assigned an ID 'number', which will be connected to your PNR and tied to your name, DOB, address, social security number and other data points collected.

This data will then be tied to your RealID-secured license or other 'national ID' card you will be carrying. In short, there will be a number which will follow you everywhere, and be tied to all of your daily activities which could be tied to any of these data points, including credit card transactions, bank account activity, air travel, car travel (where you gas up, where you rent a car, etc.), etc. etc. etc.

The end game? The ability of DHS to create a comprehensive dossier on each and every one of us, following us through our daily lives, is becoming closer to reality.

The civil liberties issues aside, why should you care? DHS wants the next generation of RealID cards to include mandatory RFID chips - so while walking down the street, someone with a radio receiver tuned to these chips can strip off all your personal information, including name, address, social and your ID number - gee, I wonder what an identity thief could do with that information. I also wonder what those 'trustworthy' folks at DHS will do with all your personal information - especially if you're someone like a politician, wealthy or a celebrity.

I'm not sure how much effect it would have, but you could try 'poisoning' the database with random entries for your DOB and address and even social, but if we get to a point where everyone is either on the NFL or selectee list unless removed by the 'purity' of your data, then that could cause other complications for travelers. It would, however, leave DHS with a bunch of un-trackable garbage in their database.