FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:54 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
eoinnz has kindly posted interior pictures of QF A380 <here>

Qantas new Business Class

There is a business class lounge onboard. It is small, dark, comfy. The seats are a real couch, not like the couch class on the Islander I flew a couple of days ago. Drinks, magazine and large screen all within easy reach. But, I think it is too small for it's intended use, at least on daylight flights. It only seats 4 or 5 and there is no room to stand around. It may be okay on overnight flights when you are travelling with a few others and want a quiet chat while the rest of the cabin is sleeping, or to escape a loud snoring seatmate.

Business class is at the front of the upper deck. There are 72 seats in 2-2-2 format, in 2 zones (zone E and zone F) but zone F has a small mini-cabin at the rear separated by emergency exits. The layout is as shown below.

Code:
  |     | L|
  |     | L|
  |__|XX  L|
  |        |
11|AB EF JK|
  |        |
12|AB EF JK|
  |        |
13|AB EF JK|
  | T    T |
dr>galleys <dr
  | T    T |
  |        |
16|AB EF JK|
  |        |
17|AB EF JK|
  |        |
18|AB EF JK|
  |        |
19|AB EF JK|
  |        |
20|AB EF JK|
  |        |
21|AB EF JK|
  |        |
22|AB EF JK|
dr>emerexit<dr
  |        |
24|AB EF JK|
  |        |
25|AB EF JK|
The seat is an updated version of the existing skybed. There is substantially more space between seats to accommodate the reduction in bed angle. The seat is perfectly adequate and nice, without being stunning. Again, I expect this is what Qantas were aiming for.

There are 2 toilets at the rear of the front cabin, and 2 more at the front of the second cabin. The galleys are inbetween the two sets of toilets.

Window seats have a narrow side-bin. There are overhead bins in the middle as well as along the sides.

The second cabin is rather long and impersonal. I think if I couldn't get a seat in the forward cabin I would select a seat in the rear mini-cabin (assuming I don't need to disembark in a hurry).

My impression was the middle pair of seats has slightly less legroom than the outer pairs of seats, particularly in the forward cabin. I don't see that as a problem though because it is still long and there is absolutely no need to climb over someone in an E or F business class seat.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm