FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:17 pm
fredsxb

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Well this might be a bit off topic but I wanted to share my opinion and travel pattern insofaras I don't bother to fly AF/KLM whenever I have reached the threshold to renew my Platinum status in a year. I know that I'm not gonna get any special treatment being Platinum. I know that I'm more likely to win the lottery than to be upgraded (eventhough I don't play the lottery)! I know my earned miles will be very hard to spend. So, all in all, there is absolutely no edge for me to fly AF over any other airline and this is, IMHO, very sad.

Why would AF upgrade someone on a full fare and who doesn't have Status with them rather than one of their most loyal customers ? This is beyong my understadning. Someone who's paying for a full fare ticket and who doesn't have status wouldn't necessarily expect to be upgraded or choose AF rather than any ohter airline for future travels whereas upgrading loyal customers can help keep them loyal!

I'm even considering not going through the trouble of staying Platinum as I really don't see much difference between being a Platinum member vs. base member...

I think that if their FF program wasn't ill-conceived I would be thinking exactly the opposite of what I've just stated. As a matter of fact, this is what I should be thinking: "Now that I'm a platinum member, I'm gonna try and fly AF even more because I know I'm gonna get great perks thanks to my status"...

That's my 2 cents...