FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Renaissance Harbor View [Master Thread]
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:01 pm
MW147

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by baglady
The rooms are small and dingy. I hate the beds. A major irritation was when I went to the lounge; sat down and drank my Perrier - I finished my paper - put away my paper and went to leave with my 1/3 of a Perrier and was told I could not take away my Perrier. NEVER have I been told in any lounge I couldn't leave with a drink (I could understand if it was an alcoholic beverage but this was a non alcoholic beverage that was mostly consumed at this point). When I told my husband that story he told me he was amazed I was staying there because he knew I would hate it compared to the JW and Kowloon Ren and he was right. I stayed there a couple of times and after the Perrier incident said never again no matter how convenient. Yes, that's a little thing but it was so silly it so customer unfriendly, who needs it? I just find their customer service overall inferior on the two stays I had.

I filled out a comment card after that stay and surprise, surprise heard nothing.

I'm at the Kowloon Ren right now and their service overall has been outstanding. I'm a much bigger fan of the JW, but the rates at the Kowloon Ren have been really low and they always upgrade me to a suite; when I book a suite they upgrade me to a deluxe suite.
Funny that you mention the room size at the Ren HV. I used to stay at the Ren Kowloon regularly before it was a Ren property. I always found the standard room to be much too small, but the deluxe room to be great. But it seemed like every time I stayed there, even if I reserved a deluxe room, they tried to put me in the standard room. I had to fight and eventually got the deluxe room.
I stayed there last year for the first time as a Ren property. The same thing happened! They told me I reserved the standard room. Fortunately I had the printed confirmation with me. They were looking at the computer for a good 10 minutes and finally relented.

I agree that the rooms at the Ren HV are not large (although there are some larger ones on the corners), but I find them to be adequate.

Your Perrier story is just ridiculous on their part. I have taken a porcelain coffee cup with me when leaving many lounges in various hotels and have never had a problem. A bottle of Perrier? Absurd. Someone is just not using any common sense.