Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Renaissance Harbor View [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DaveMidknight
Wiki Link
Concierge Email: [email protected]

Hotel Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 08, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
HKG Renaissance Harbour View

I've just been invited to a conference there in Feb2009 and one of the offered properties is this hotel. Posted rate is USD 318 Garden View and 384 Harbor View. These seem competitive compared to rack rate or AAA rate, but any comments on room/view/value? As a silver do I have a chance at an upgrade from a discounted rate?

Thanks
Murm
Old Aug 5, 08, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by murmurdoc View Post
I've just been invited to a conference there in Feb2009 and one of the offered properties is this hotel. Posted rate is USD 318 Garden View and 384 Harbor View. These seem competitive compared to rack rate or AAA rate, but any comments on room/view/value? As a silver do I have a chance at an upgrade from a discounted rate?

Thanks
Murm
The rates don't seem outrageous during major convention days. However, if you are willing settle in other locations in the city, you might find better accommodation value. That said, garden view (all views other than harbor view) is a view of other buildings or the courtyard.
As silver, gold or even plat, upgrade is a function of room availability, not a guarantee.
Old Aug 5, 08, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
The price aside, unless the conference is at the HKCEC (Convention Centre) I would not stay here. I have stayed at this property several times. It is a solid, reliable 4 star hotel. I have never had a bad stay here. But I have ONLY stayed here when I am attending a show at the convention centre. It is attached to the centre, making it an outstanding location for that purpose.

But IMHO, it is a poor location for any other reason. There is very little to do or see in the area. And public transportation access is not great (10 minute walk to the underground station).

Where is your conference?
Old Aug 6, 08, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
Originally Posted by MW147 View Post

Where is your conference?
You guessed it, the HKCEC.

Puzzled that the nearest public transport is so far from a major destination.

Alternatives? (Marriott preferable)

Thanks
MMD
Old Aug 6, 08, 6:49 am

Thanks
MMD
Since the conference is at the HKCEC, I would stay at the Ren Harbour View. You can always get in a taxi, or a 5 minute walk to the Star Ferry if you are going to Kowloon side. There is just nothing to do or see in the immediate area.

If you want to stay somewhere else the JW is in Pacific Place on HK side. It is part of a big shopping mall. I have never stayed there, but I hear it is top notch.

There is also the Ren on Kowloon side. Great location. Just watch out for the standard room. It is tiny. The deluxe room is excellent.

HK is a great city. Enjoy it!
Old Aug 6, 08, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I hate the hotel. Even as a plat, I feel it's awful. Do what you can to stay elsewhere. Even for the convenience, it's not worth staying there. If you want a Marriott property, stay at the JW on the HK side or if you need something more reasonable; stay at the Ren Kowloon. I'm sorry, but I have nothing good to say about the Ren Harborview.
zzap likes this.
Old Aug 6, 08, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold

Thanks
MMD
The JW is an excellent property, my own personal preference in HK. Costs slightly higher than the Ren HV. But worth it. From there, taxi to your conference.
Another thought: Stay at Ren Kowloon (also fine property with great service). From here, your transport is via the Star Ferry. Short walk at both ends. I think the Ren KLN is a better property and costs a bit less than Ren HV.
Old Aug 7, 08, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I hate the hotel. Even as a plat, I feel it's awful. Do what you can to stay elsewhere. Even for the convenience, it's not worth staying there. If you want a Marriott property, stay at the JW on the HK side or if you need something more reasonable; stay at the Ren Kowloon. I'm sorry, but I have nothing good to say about the Ren Harborview.
Just curious - what are your gripes about this hotel? I have stayed here 5 or 6 times and always had a good stay.
I only have one small complaint. I usually reserve a garden view room. They almost always try to upsell me to a harbour view room. I say no, and at least half the time they give it to me anyway. No big deal. Other than that I have nothing bad to say.
Old Aug 7, 08, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MW147 View Post
Just curious - what are your gripes about this hotel? I have stayed here 5 or 6 times and always had a good stay.
I only have one small complaint. I usually reserve a garden view room. They almost always try to upsell me to a harbour view room. I say no, and at least half the time they give it to me anyway. No big deal. Other than that I have nothing bad to say.
The rooms are small and dingy. I hate the beds. A major irritation was when I went to the lounge; sat down and drank my Perrier - I finished my paper - put away my paper and went to leave with my 1/3 of a Perrier and was told I could not take away my Perrier. NEVER have I been told in any lounge I couldn't leave with a drink (I could understand if it was an alcoholic beverage but this was a non alcoholic beverage that was mostly consumed at this point). When I told my husband that story he told me he was amazed I was staying there because he knew I would hate it compared to the JW and Kowloon Ren and he was right. I stayed there a couple of times and after the Perrier incident said never again no matter how convenient. Yes, that's a little thing but it was so silly it so customer unfriendly, who needs it? I just find their customer service overall inferior on the two stays I had.

I filled out a comment card after that stay and surprise, surprise heard nothing.

I'm at the Kowloon Ren right now and their service overall has been outstanding. I'm a much bigger fan of the JW, but the rates at the Kowloon Ren have been really low and they always upgrade me to a suite; when I book a suite they upgrade me to a deluxe suite.
Old Aug 7, 08, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rooms are small and dingy. I hate the beds. A major irritation was when I went to the lounge; sat down and drank my Perrier - I finished my paper - put away my paper and went to leave with my 1/3 of a Perrier and was told I could not take away my Perrier. NEVER have I been told in any lounge I couldn't leave with a drink (I could understand if it was an alcoholic beverage but this was a non alcoholic beverage that was mostly consumed at this point). When I told my husband that story he told me he was amazed I was staying there because he knew I would hate it compared to the JW and Kowloon Ren and he was right. I stayed there a couple of times and after the Perrier incident said never again no matter how convenient. Yes, that's a little thing but it was so silly it so customer unfriendly, who needs it? I just find their customer service overall inferior on the two stays I had.

I filled out a comment card after that stay and surprise, surprise heard nothing.

I'm at the Kowloon Ren right now and their service overall has been outstanding. I'm a much bigger fan of the JW, but the rates at the Kowloon Ren have been really low and they always upgrade me to a suite; when I book a suite they upgrade me to a deluxe suite.

I spent a week at The Ren Kowloon , I didnt stay at the RHV but did spend some time there.

The RK is a Tourist Hotel while I felt the RHV was a Biz Hotel. I kinda of thought the RHV was a more luxurious Hotel between the 2 and more upscale.

However the RK offers me everything I need and want and would return there in a flash. Its usually alot less $$ to boot. The only Downside to the RK is they give the worst Exchange rates in all of HK, so my PPs yielded me less off my bill then if I stayed at the JW or RHV.
Old Aug 7, 08, 1:01 pm

Funny that you mention the room size at the Ren HV. I used to stay at the Ren Kowloon regularly before it was a Ren property. I always found the standard room to be much too small, but the deluxe room to be great. But it seemed like every time I stayed there, even if I reserved a deluxe room, they tried to put me in the standard room. I had to fight and eventually got the deluxe room.
I stayed there last year for the first time as a Ren property. The same thing happened! They told me I reserved the standard room. Fortunately I had the printed confirmation with me. They were looking at the computer for a good 10 minutes and finally relented.

I agree that the rooms at the Ren HV are not large (although there are some larger ones on the corners), but I find them to be adequate.

Your Perrier story is just ridiculous on their part. I have taken a porcelain coffee cup with me when leaving many lounges in various hotels and have never had a problem. A bottle of Perrier? Absurd. Someone is just not using any common sense.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler

I havenít heard much about this hotel in HK. Usually people talk about the peninsula, shanghai-la, Conrad, intercontinental, Sheraton towers etc etc... even though this is a 5 Star Hotel so it has me wondering if it actually is a good pick?

Does anyone have any insight to this hotel and where the best rooms are? Iím assuming Iím gonna get club access with my SPG Gold elite status. Any amentites to be aware of at this hotel?
Old Feb 15, 18, 1:15 am

I’m considering a return here after a gap of 25 years or so, spent months here when it was the New World Harbour View back in the late 80s, early 90s
It was great then and hope it’s still good,
Old Feb 15, 18, 3:10 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I stayed here once a few years ago. I wouldn't put it in the same league as the other hotels you reference but it was very nice. The room I had was pretty small (but proably normal for HK standards). The lounge breakfast was fine (maybe with make to order eggs?) but nothing spectacular. I seem to recall the lounge was small. Also the area was very quiet but not too far from a metro station and relatively easy to get to the HK Express. In short, nothing wrong with the hotel but it wasn't anything that wowed me either.
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly View Post
I havenít heard much about this hotel in HK.
JW Marriott v. Renaissance Harborview ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: