FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:14 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I am guessing that the answer is 'no', but do they ever upgrade Plats to the Club level? Or is there a lounge/breakfast option for Plats that is separate from Club 91?

I just booked two award rooms there for December for a week. We booked the base level, not paying anything for upgrades. The two upgrade options are 1 certificate per room per night for a better view and 5(!!) certificates per room per night (if I'm reading that correctly) for Club 91.

Is the 1-cert upgrade worth it? The consensus here is that the Club 91 paid upgrade isn't. We will have 3 adults 2 kids and we aren't big hard liquor drinkers. We tend to grab a 12-pack of beer and a couple bottles of wine and throw it on ice in the room.

How far superior is Club 91 to the Starwood "Royal Beach Club" lounges found at a couple of their Mexican properties? Access to those is $40 or 1500 Starpoints per room per night and really *is* worth it - free liquor, breakfast, and heavy appetizers. (Sometimes they upgrade Golds/Plats for free, but we've gone ahead and confirmed it ahead of time to get adjoining rooms on the RBC level.)