FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting German citizenship/passport
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:49 pm
roundtheworld

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sorry for being very direct, but almost everything in your post is as wrong as it can be. Dual citizenship is possible under German law (see the correct and multiple examples referred to in this thread), the OP never stated that his ancesters were German citizens and being born on the territory of Germany in its borders of 1914 does not automatically imply "Volkszugehörigkeit" and depending on the case citizenship can be granted in less than a year.
Well the time frame was quoted form the Embassy in DC - so not such a weird place.

On the other issues you raise as being completely wrong -- considering you haven't gone through it ( I assume) - I wonder where your certainty comes from. To acquire the citizenship - you need to apply the laws that were in effect at the time where the citizenship should have been established - not the current ones.

The father needs to establish that he could have received German citizenship and why he didn't at that time.

As you state there are multiple underling laws that allow for citizenship. For example:

Considering that the OP was born while his father did not have German citizenship and he was born outside Germany and he is 18 years and older - the OP will NOT be able to receive a German passport. This is a very quirky part of German citizenship law.

If a child is born outside Germany to parents who themselves were not born in Germany the child (parents) needs to apply for citizenship within 12 months of birth or reaching age 18 - if the parents have not been citizens at time of birth and the child is an adult at time of grant of citizenship (of the parents) then the child will not receive citizenship ...

But of course there are other quirky things in the German law - if you have lived in Germany and have been treated as a German citizen for more than 12 consecutive years - then German citizenship will be granted - the question again is - how do oyu proof you have been treated as a German citizen ...

wow I love this discussion.

As I sarcastically said - "very simple".