FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Persistent overcharges with Hertz PlatePass toll transponder
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:49 am
OldRoyal

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Persistent overcharges with Hertz PlatePass toll transponder

Below is my recent correspondence with Hertz regarding a pattern of overcharging for toll collection with Hertz PlatePass.

I'd advise everyone using PlatePass to check your receipt from the rental (to ensure that the $10 "transponder deposit" has been removed -- it is often listed as "Misc" or something unrelated like "Ski Rack"), as well as the receipt with toll listing, which is received about two weeks after the rental.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

================================================

To <[email protected]> cc <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> 06/20/2008 01:54 PM

Subject: PlatePass -- Incorrect billing yet again RE: Bill ID# XXXXXXXXX

On this PlatePass invoice each line item was double billed, as evidenced by the identical date and time shown twice for every item. The actual amount owned is $16.30, NOT $32.60. Please correct and PROMPTLY issue a credit back to my credit card.

I have corresponded with your office numerous times over a variety of billing errors related to PlatePass. There are errors on virtually every bill. Most are small enough that it is not worth my time or effort to correspond with you to correct the problem; this one was large enough to make it worthwhile.

The other error that occurs CONSISTANTLY with PlatePass is at the rental lot in Boston. As you know, Hertz charges a $2.50/day surcharge for PlatePass usage. This charge is only accrued on those days during the rental that PlatePass is actually used in a toll booth and is billed separately along with the actual toll charges. Upon rental, Hertz also places a $10 charge on the rental invoice as a deposit on the PlatePass transponder. The problem is that about 50% of the time, I find that the $10 deposit is never removed from my bill. When I point out the error, either to the return attendant in the lot or to an agent at the counter, I am most frequently told that the PlatePass surcharge is now billed with the car rental and that I won't be charged the $2.50/day surcharge when I receive the PlatePass toll invoice. I can assume that information is flat out wrong, as I am ALWAYS charged the $2.50/day fee on the invoice containing the toll charges.

This problem in the lot in Boston happened as recently as yesterday (rental agreement XXXXXXXXX). When I objected to the $10 charge remaining on my receipt, the lot attendant told me that he had properly punched in the remote return device that I had returned the PlatePass transponder and that, since the charge remained, it must be correct. (If what he is telling me IS correct, your software is designed to overcharge on this fee!!!) After a lengthy discussion, a supervisor finally agreed to remove the $10 charge "as a courtesy." I don't consider being told -- incorrectly -- that I am wrong for 10 minutes to be any sort of a "courtesy." Obviously, you have a training issue at the Boston airport.

I am beginning to reach the conclusion that Hertz (or your PlatePass vendor) is either terribly sloppy, incompetent, or, worse yet, your company has concluded that most customers will simply "blow off" a small overcharge, resulting in extra revenue for Hertz. I should also note that EVERY error made related to PlatePass has been an OVERcharge; none have been errors in my favor. I find it quite suspicious that PlatePass only makes mistakes that favor your company.

I expect much better out of Hertz.

Sincerely,
OldRoyal

Presidents Circle Level Member