FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USAir to Eliminate movies on domestic flights, will AA follow?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:35 pm
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
I don't belive the projected cost savings for US was based on programing cost. The reports I've seen indicate the 10 million in savings will come from reduced weight by removing the AV equipment from the fleet.
Who cares why US removed their system? This is the American Airlines forum, not the US forum. Why are we discussing USAir here?

Yes, the published reports might lead to that conclusion. For example:

Airline spokeswoman Valerie Wunder said the current in-flight entertainment systems are being pulled from roughly 196 of its planes. "These systems weigh about 500 pounds, and whether a movie is showing or not, the plane has to bear that weight," Wunder said.

And, she said with changing customer behavior, fewer people are shelling out the $5 to rent the headsets to listen to the movies. "A lot of people bring their own personal devices and their own headsets on airplanes," she said.
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...html?ana=yfcpc

Apparently, US was unable to convince 2 million people to pay $5 to watch the movie - since that would have covered the fuel.

So back to my question - how much might AA have to pay to cover the IFE? I doubt the movies are free.