Lounges

Is Dining in the American Flagship Lounge Worth $100?

Is Dining in the American Flagship Lounge Worth $100?
Joe Cortez

When it comes to finding airport lounge access, FlyerTalkers are among the best at not only getting in, but using all of the resources available to them. After American Airlines started a pilot program to offer paid access to Flagship Dining, it should come as no surprised forum members were the first to find out. American is offering paid entry to the exclusive lounge for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum flyers at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): $100 gets you a seat at one of the most exclusive tables in all of aviation.

Related: Everything You Need to Know About Flagship First Dining

Source: FlyerTalk/bthotugigem05

A seat at American’s Flagship Dining table

An even more exclusive section of the top-tier American Flagship lounge, the Flagship Dining section is, according to American’s website, a dining experience that features “chef-inspired dishes, locally sourced ingredients” and “signature” beverages, including beer, cocktails, and wine. In addition, the Flagship First Dining usually offers locally-inspired dishes, and the location at DFW is no exception.

If you want to know what it’s really like to dine there, check out these reviews of Flagship First Dining at Dallas Fort-Worth Airport on FlyerTalk. For more information about Flagship Dining in general, check out this link that includes everything you could want to know about Flagship Dining in every airport. Or, check out other reviews of Flagship First Dining at LAX or Flagship First Dining at JFK.

Source: FlyerTalk/bthotugigem05

But, while Flagship First is famously fancy, it’s also famously exclusive. Only first-class flyers on international routes are allowed to dine there. Not even top-tier Executive Platinum flyers and secret-tier Concierge Key flyers are allowed in. That all changes with the pilot program. Only offered at the newest location in Dallas-Fort Worth, top tier elites can now get in at the price of $100.

Would FlyerTalkers pay to get in?

Although the dining options are supposed to be among the best offered by an airline, FlyerTalkers aren’t interested in paying even more just to sample the flavors. In an unscientific poll conducted on the forums, over half of those responding say they are not interested in paying for Flagship Dining privileges. The 32-percent of those who would pay wouldn’t pay more than $50, while just over five percent said they would pay the full fee of $100 for the experience.

Source: FlyerTalk/bthotugigem05

“I might consider it if I have about three hours to kill and can have three courses and a whole bottle of Krug to myself,” writes one FlyerTalker. Others agree with his perspective: the price needs to be commensurate with the experience.

“While I don’t like the price, I do think it is fair,” opines another, “I have [experienced dining] once in Dallas and had a great glass of Krug and one of the best steaks ever. Toss in a glass or two of wine and the value was probably $75.”

Of course, there are those who also don’t see the value in it, considering what they would get for the price.

Source: FlyerTalk/bthotugigem05

“I just can’t reconcile paying a flat fee, at that rate, for a meal. Especially when you consider alcohol is already free when you walk into the club,” writes forum member Beachfun71. “I can go to any city in the U.S. and have a VERY good steak for around $50. Add another $10 for a potato and most places throw in the bread for free.”

The experiment will run for an undefined period of time. After which, American is set to analyze the gathered data and determine if they will expand the program to other airports.

[Main Image Source: FlyerTalker BenSenise]

1. worldwidedreamer

February 24, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Charging $100 for F lounge access reduces value for paid domestic lounge customers and international F customers. Is this good business? Something AA + UA executives should consider…along with those at DL and AS which happen to have better financial numbers.

2. cmd320

February 24, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Dining? No. Drinking? Maybe.

With that said, allowing this will really cheapen the product. Keeping it amongst F pax keeps the experience exclusive and thus, good. If the place were packed with J pax it would be nothing more than a typical Flagship lounge with overwhelmed wait staff.

3. ceieoc

February 25, 2020 at 11:12 am

For $100, I hope you get a complimentary dougie bag, so you may enjoy Flagship dining leftovers on your next American Airlines flight.

4. nyc10036

February 25, 2020 at 8:42 pm

I’d gladly pay $100 to access the Concord (Dining) Room at JFK or LHR because they offer eclectic menus that would surprise you every time, and their servers are very well trained. It’s a beautifully-appointed relaxing space. But I wouldn’t even pay $20 for Flagship Dining.

My experience has been mediocre at best at Flagship Dining, and their menu always reminds me of the unrefined selection AA offers on its domestic routes. I find the ambience to be a bit TGI Friday’s-ish, as well, and it can get vibrant. More importantly, their servers are often friendly but either incompetent, disinterested and/or lazy, and I’d much rather go to the buffet outside and help myself.

5. hfb606

February 25, 2020 at 9:54 pm

6. jrpallante

February 26, 2020 at 4:43 am

Maybe with OPM, but it is difficult to imagine that anybody would pay $100 of their own money. Most major airports now have a nice selection of restaurants, and you can easily get a nice meal and several cocktails for far less than $100. Even when I have free access to the airline lounges, I rarely partake.

7. 7Continents

February 26, 2020 at 5:11 am

I think it’s fair to offer it but I wouldn’t take it at that price simply because service at my home JFK could not possibly be good enough to justify the cost. It would need a high level of attention to ensure I get what I want in the time I have available.

8. Danwriter

February 26, 2020 at 7:46 am

“dougie bag’, as in Dougie Parker?

9. AJNEDC

February 26, 2020 at 10:59 am

Having used AA’s flagship lounge at JFK on my trip in business class to Madrid recently, my vote is a resounding no!
    As well, the pictures provided in this story are quite deceptive. They may stock photos scraped from the web or perhaps from AA’s first class, but definitely not this quality from its flagship lounge at JFK.

10. Centurion

February 26, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Flagship dinning is often Flagship lounge product items splated.

11. mvoight

March 29, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Worldwidedreamer – It”s not $100 for lounge access, it is $100 for the dining room
    Getting access to the lounge itself is easy if flying in business class internationally or AA Platinum and above and flying interntionally or some transcontinental flights. That lounge access includes food,but not the first class dining room