Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER Devaluation with NO NOTICE!!!!

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonorsDiamond

Ok here is my rant against Wyndham....

We always stay at the Koloa Landing in Poipu with our points. Have been staying there for 3 years.

We already have our trip booked for June. I am already holding one night for 30K points. I have been working on the second night and will have those points at the end of this month when my Wyndham credit card bill runs.

Today I go to the Wyndham site and it tells me the nights are now 50K points and are Tier 9!!

Hmm... when I go to Wyndham site here is the breakdown:

Points Reward
5,500 One Free Night at Tier 1* Hotel
8,000 One Free Night at Tier 2* Hotel
10,000 One Free Night at Tier 3* Hotel
14,000 One Free Night at Tier 4* Hotel
16,000 One Free Night at Tier 5* Hotel
20,000 One Free Night at Tier 6* Hotel
25,000 One Free Night at Tier 7* Hotel
30,000 One Free Night at Tier 8* Hotel

They don't even list a Tier 9 hotel!!!

So now it looks like I will need to cancel as I need 2 nights on Kauai. We are island hopping and have already booked our flights.

Had I known this was going on I could have booked at the Grand Hyatt before their changes.

This is so disappointing. Had I received ANY warning or notice of changes to tier levels I could have planned accordingly.

Love how they create new hotels levels and they aren't even on their website that I can find. And 50K points? Really?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:57 am
Original Poster

My conversation with Wyndham Rewards...

After not getting anywhere with the first rep I spoke to (who said I could add the second night for 50K) I was able to speak to a supervisor.

I was told that they also noticed this change on Monday and are not sure what has happened and are just as confused with the change to this property. They said they are in the process of researching and acknowledged that there is no Tier 9 listed on the website.

What they did tell me (and I took the supervisor name/ID number) is that because I have an existing reservation they will allow me to add one more night at the 30K rate. Once I have those points I am supposed to call in and they will issue me the difference in order to add the additional night.

I would love the Wyndham rep who reads this to post a response as to what happened as far as the increase in rates. Would love to know if they are making even more changes and increases.

But as I was reminded....Wyndham has the right to change tier levels and points without any notice. I think they should take a look at Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton and try to be better at communicating changes to their customers.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sargenet
I think they should take a look at Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton and try to be better at communicating changes to their customers.
Do not suggest any other program look to Hilton as an example.

Unless of course you want your favorite hotel loyalty program to pick up egregious ideas and engage in MEGA-UBER-SUPER devaluations on a regular basis (including during economic meltdowns)...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:48 pm

I'm so glad I'm done with Wyndham...first they take 32k from my wife for inactivity without so much as one e-mail to warn her, even though they have her address. They sent me 3 e-mails to let me know mine were fixing to expire and after buying a small item with points to spur activity on the account, I checked hers and found them expired. Then I talk to 2 CSR's and a supervisor who show no customer consideration and basically tell me she is SOL. I used my last points just after Christmas in New Orleans at the Whitney....I also stayed at a Marriott, and a choice hotel to use up some points....out of the 3 hotels Wyndham is the only one that charged me occupancy fees and taxes. only a few bucks, but it's the principle of the thing. Add to this the overvalued point costs for some mediocre hotels and like I said, I'm glad to be done with Wyndham.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Do not suggest any other program look to Hilton as an example.

Unless of course you want your favorite hotel loyalty program to pick up egregious ideas and engage in MEGA-UBER-SUPER devaluations on a regular basis (including during economic meltdowns)...
I just wish they would give notice if they are creating any new tiers. I meant to compare them only in the aspect that other hotel chains give warning of upcoming changes. But it seems like the situation here is that they created a special tier only for this property. It is pretty bad when your own customer service reps and supervisors tell you there is no Tier 9!!! And the increase was so painful! 50k points from 30k. What a huge increase!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wise2u
out of the 3 hotels Wyndham is the only one that charged me occupancy fees and taxes. only a few bucks, but it's the principle of the thing. Add to this the overvalued point costs for some mediocre hotels and like I said, I'm glad to be done with Wyndham.
I have never seen this done on award stays! Can't speak for outside of the US.

We are also holding a room at the Grand Hyatt with our Hyatt points as a back up. Last year when we used points at the hotel we checked in no problem. We used 90000 points and Wyndham Rewards made all the reservations. All the points were taken out of account months in advance.

Then a few days after we checked out the hotels accounting department charged our credit card for the whole stay at the going rate. Said although Wyndham rewards may have taken out the points from my account they didn't issue the right things to the hotel. So they were charging us and told us to call Wyndham to fix it!

Really? Good thing I used credit and not debit!!! So hours on the phone fixing that fiasco! Not sure i want to even mess with this now. I love the property but I don't think I want to deal with Wyndham anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Social Media spreading the word

A special thank you to one of the Boarding Area Bloggers for sharing this today. I noticed that this one blog has been shared over 20,000 times in just a few hours! Hopefully Wyndham Rewards will take notice at a higher level and see how frequent travelers see this situation.

http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/....uZ3snr11.dpbs

Scroll down to January 23th, under Miles & Points in 60 seconds.

Last edited by sargenet; Jan 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That link shows nothing about this any more. It always has the headline of the day. And the headline has already been replaced today with IHG Pointbreaks news.

I can't even figure out how to offhand find the blog you are talking about on that site today. (I didn't immediately spot a link for "recent blogs".)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That link shows nothing about this any more. It always has the headline of the day. And the headline has already been replaced today with IHG Pointbreaks news.

I can't even figure out how to offhand find the blog you are talking about on that site today. (I didn't immediately spot a link for "recent blogs".)
I apologize, my link did go to the latest headline but if you scroll down the page to the January 23rd post titled "Miles and Points in 60 seconds" it has the following information (cut and pasted from January 23rd blog):

Looks like Wyndham Rewards was a little stealthy and created a Category 9 for their award redemptions (again they did this last year and then backed off a little and promised better communication on future changes). Category 9 properties will go for 50,000 points per night when the previous top tier Category 8 goes for 30,000 points per night. So far there has just been one hotel identified in that category (Koloa Landing in Poipu), but if this is the case, Im sure it wont be the only hotel in that category for long. They dont even have Category 9 listed on their own website yet, however the property is coming up at that rate when you do a search. Devaluations are bad, but devaluations that take place without warning are the worst. Wyndham Rewards is not a program to be trusted with more points than you have to have with them due to their history of changes like this without warning. - See more at: http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/....LQgHUJq1.dpuf
Old May 21, 2014, 6:14 am

More changes coming today?!

Received an email yesterday around 5pm with this comment:

Important Update:

Wyndham Rewards Free Night stay tier levels for some Wyndham Hotel Group properties will be adjusted to reflect current market conditions on or around May 22, 2014.6 This means the point levels for individual hotels may decrease or increase. If you have any questions please call member services at 1- 866-996-7937.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver

Last edited by scruffy; May 23, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.