Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Dressing for a funeral - Part II

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dressing for a funeral - Part II

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Question Dressing for a funeral - Part II

Casual attire for funeral?
Actually, it's not a funeral it's a memorial "celebration" for my aunt who passed away last winter.
It will be in Quilcene, WA and my uncle has said "AS FOR DRESS CODE JUST COME TO RELAX AND CELEBRATE, CASUAL ATTIRE IS FINE."
So I'm asking for advice - I had planned to wear a dress with a black/taupe kind of print but that sounds like it would be too dressy?
Any ideas?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Well you are going to Quilcene in the middle of summer.....it has been rather warm up here in the Pacific Northwest. Ok, bloody hot, and most homes up here don't have air conditioning. Do you know if this is going to be indoor or outdoor? At a restaurant somewhere or at your Uncle's house?

If he is planning a "celebration" it could be as casual as a backyard barbeque in which case a dress may be too much.

But your title does say "part II" and I never saw part I so I may just be saying something that is completely inappropriate, and if so I am sorry about that.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would respect the wishes of your uncle... sounds like he is trying to "Dress down" the event.... I know I would feel uncomfortable if I was one of only a few to show up "dressy" when everyone else took the advice of the host.

But, in the end, you have to do what makes you comfortable.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
I would respect the wishes of your uncle... sounds like he is trying to "Dress down" the event.... I know I would feel uncomfortable if I was one of only a few to show up "dressy" when everyone else took the advice of the host.

But, in the end, you have to do what makes you comfortable.
+1
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses - Now instead of the dress I'm leaning toward a floral skirt/pink top combo. I don't really know if the celebration is outdoors or not, but after we're going to lunch at the Timber House restaurant, so I guess I'll dress for that.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:02 pm

Well, that swings completely in the other direction with a floral skirt and pink top. I'd choose comfortable clothes that are casual but not as if you were going grocery shopping. And I'd definitely choose muted colors unless your aunt was particularly into floral prints. Then, of course, go with something she would have enjoyed, in memoriam, so to say.

Till
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I guess I'll forget about the floral and wear the black/taupe dress - I'd be most (mentally) comfortable wearing pants but to me summer = shorts and I think pants would be too hot. At least I'm getting weather forecasts now for the date, that's helpful. I'm obsessing over this, I know! But my packing is limited - there will be 4 of us in the rental car so I WILL limit myself to a 21" carryon for the weekend!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
I must disagree with those saying the flowered skirt would not work. If the invitation says celebrate, I think clothing that is cheerful and comfortable will be your best bet. Celebrations like this are sort of like the Irish wake--drinking and stories about the person who has gone on. Just be prepared with any funny or happy moments that you shared with her and I don't think your outfit will matter a bit.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by FoPAA
I guess I'll forget about the floral and wear the black/taupe dress - I'd be most (mentally) comfortable wearing pants but to me summer = shorts and I think pants would be too hot. At least I'm getting weather forecasts now for the date, that's helpful. I'm obsessing over this, I know! But my packing is limited - there will be 4 of us in the rental car so I WILL limit myself to a 21" carryon for the weekend!
Certainly a good decision on the clothing side. 21" carry-on for a weekend is super easy. I can practically go indefinitely with that size luggage and as a man my stuff is probably heavier and bulkier.

Originally Posted by gungadin
I must disagree with those saying the flowered skirt would not work. If the invitation says celebrate, I think clothing that is cheerful and comfortable will be your best bet. Celebrations like this are sort of like the Irish wake--drinking and stories about the person who has gone on. Just be prepared with any funny or happy moments that you shared with her and I don't think your outfit will matter a bit.
Still, colorful floral patterns are inappropriate for any kind of memorial service or even celebration. Celebration doesn't mean rambunctious Irish fest. It can be a casual yet serious celebration to honor the deceased. With muted colors and patterns the OP will be on the safe side. It is not good to irk anyone for this kind of occasion. Better to be a bit too correctly dressed than not enough.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.