Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

"losing " Contraceptive Pills at security checks....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I have had this happen 3 times this year....I used to keep an extra pack in my checked lugage incase the one I have in my carry on gets lost or runs out or is simply left at home. I have to travel on the spur of a moment sometimes so stuff like cosmetics are all prepacked

However I have had the checked one taken twice this year and lost one at a SSSS check in Houston.

Does this happen all the time or am just unlucky this year?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by moeve
However I have had the checked one taken twice this year and lost one at a SSSS check in Houston.
Do you mean the pills were confiscated at SSSS? Or accidently left behind? I can't even begin to imagine why the TSA would confiscate contraceptive pills. (Well, I can - but I won't go there.)
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Oh no accidently when they unpacked everything at the check point and as far as checked luggage goes I am assuming the same thing - at least I certainly hope soo.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Could you explain the situation to your doctor, and ask for an additional written prescription, which you can carry with you, or call your doctor if it happens again, and ask them to call in a prescription for you to a pharmacy near where you are?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
If this happened to me even once I would carry the packets on my person on future trips. I would put them in my bra for the walk through security. If patted down, I would tell the agent I have to carry them this way since they keep getting stolen by TSA agents.

I always bury my meds inside a ziplock, inside a mesh bag, inside a suitcase pocket. It would take someone a long time to go through all those layers to get my pills.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Wow really! I have never had this happen to me before. If it did happen I would be

I am not sure I would want to check them tho, isn't there some guidelines on storage temps. I would think the belly of the plane would be below those guidlines?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:59 am
Original Poster

It isn't that cold in the luggage compartment or shampoo etc would freeze tooo.

Unfortunately an additional perscription wouldn't help because a foreign perscription isn't filled in the US.

It seems I have just had a bad year..... and been unlucky
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:15 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this happens to you so often, you might want to take the time to get a prescription from a US doctor so you can get it filled in the US should the need arise.

I'd also probably travel with the pills in several places - some in a little pill case in my purse, more in my carryon, etc. - to minimize the chance of losing all of them.

What have you done when this happens?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calliope
Wow really! I have never had this happen to me before. If it did happen I would be

I am not sure I would want to check them tho, isn't there some guidelines on storage temps. I would think the belly of the plane would be below those guidlines?
Certain medications can be outside their "normal" storage conditions (temperature excursions) for certain periods of time with no ill effects. As always, if you question it, read the package insert! That's why we write those things, ya know!!!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Since this happens to you so often, you might want to take the time to get a prescription from a US doctor so you can get it filled in the US should the need arise.

I'd also probably travel with the pills in several places - some in a little pill case in my purse, more in my carryon, etc. - to minimize the chance of losing all of them.

Your advice above is great advice for anyone who takes any medication daily. ^
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:31 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by l'etoile

This is good advice. You can see if you can schedule an appointment with one for your next visit, and explain the situation to them.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:46 am
Original Poster

The ones in my checked luggage are my RESERVE ones. I only had a problem once when the ones I was carrying in my hand luggage finished and I "knew" I had another pack in my checked luggage only to find the zipped side baggie had been opened and it's contents were now missing. I always split them up to avoid loosing them all but I just seem to have had some bad luck this year. I asked here just in case I was missing something and need to take even more precaustions but from your reactions I think that isn't nesessary.

It isn't a biggie because I really don't use them mainly as a contraceptive but rather as a homone replacement therapy so I take six months at a time and then break (Dr. orders) In this case I just brought my break forward - not comfortable but absolutely manageable and according to my Dr. OK to do.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I carry a reserve pack in my suitcase, but in my all my travels I have never had them taken or misplaced after security. What may be helpful in the future is I ask the agent not to repack my bag, just leave the items and I will repack. Everything has a place and they always just shove and zip.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I always carry spare medications, but never in my checked baggage. I have a fob on my key chain that holds quite a number of pills. I have never had meds stolen, but have had them taken by Customs when returning to the US. Hence the suggestion of putting some in your bra is a very good idea.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I always carry spare medications, but never in my checked baggage. I have a fob on my key chain that holds quite a number of pills. I have never had meds stolen, but have had them taken by Customs when returning to the US. Hence the suggestion of putting some in your bra is a very good idea.
I wouldn't recommend putting your contraceptive pills in your bra, though. The foil in the packs I use *might* set off the alarm at the WTMD. Can you imaging the looks on the TSO's face when you tell him that you had your pills in your bra!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.