Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

difficulties for business women while travelling for work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

difficulties for business women while travelling for work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by duchy
Perhaps if I wore heels something designed to accomadate the different shoe shape in a bag *might* be useful.
Actually that's a great idea. I HATE packing heels because they're such a difficult shape to pack - I would love something that would make this easier. Not sure what it would be, though.

One thing that I would also love to see is one of those small foot pedestals in hotel showers for you to put your foot on while you shave your legs. So simple, yet it would make life SO much easier. Also something that a man would probably never, ever think about.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
LOL I wouldnt mind that gift Am I the only woman who uses a MACH 3? I find that female oriented razors are usually rubbish.
A bit OT but a couple years ago when I had to seek advice on teaching a teenage son how to shave (said son was 11 when my husband died) --- son's Science teacher recommended using women's razors because they were sharper and usually had moisturizers or lotion strips attached for tender new shavers. My son replied: Oh no problem with that ~ all I can find at our house is pink razors!

I've almost abandoned shaving and get everything from my eyebrows to my ankles waxed these days.... I should just get a wax dunk tank installed in my bathroom.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Nice

Originally Posted by QMConsultant
Last week, I bought the Rimowa Business Trolley (Salsa series, in grey) and used it for an overnight business trip. It is small, but light-weight and holds clothes/toiletries, documents and notebook + cables etc. easily. It fits into even small overhead bins (one flight was on a Dash8). No problems at check-in or the gate.

Maybe this helps -
QMConsultants

Nice looking case..thanks for posting it
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Few differences

between men and women, but here are the ones I have:

1) Based on the unscientific sample of the AA forum, I think I'm more appalled by the lack of cleanliness on airplanes than men are.

2) I want a large capacity feminine looking laptop bag that has a slot for the handle of my roller. Most men's laptop bags seem to be larger. I've seen zillions of slender, oh so pretty, laptop bags for women that barely hold the laptop let alone business documents. Even the ones that are bigger and still feminine usually lack the slot to stay on the roller handle that men's laptop bags always have. While I'm at it, the laptop bag should have a big enough compartment for my purse -- for when the occasional airport zealot makes me compress to 2 carry-ons.

3) I like hotels that have a facial wash in their bathroom amenities.

4) I've had a front desk at a European hotel give me directions to the train station at 5 am without telling me that the train station wasn't open for another hour. I had a scary walk to the train station AND BACK.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Originally Posted by Tutu
I second the design of a suitcase or notebook computer bag.
I'm *so* with you on the computer bag thing. I sit in aisle seats and I hate it when my briefcase doesn't fit under the seat (especially when electrical boxes etc that take up precious room)

I also think a computer bag should be made with space to store the things a woman would carry in her purse. I don't like to bring "both" a purse and a briefcase into a business meeting, but want to quickly be able to find a kleenex, or a comb, or a mirror (without digging to the bottom of the case).

If I buy one more carry on bag I think my husband will have a fit. I've bought at least 5 and they all suck in one way or another. Instead of finding the bag to fit my needs, I've adapted my needs to fit the bag.

Sad....
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS, AA, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX
Agree with several posters that there's not much difference...

...in fact, my answers to the survey probably did not make the OP happy.

How do I find my way around in a new place? For Pete's sake, I prepare! Or ask directions if I get lost.

What special travel-related policies for women should my company have? Why on earth would a special policy for women be needed!

Do you go to bars, restaurants? Of course! Who doesn't??

As to products, my Costco rolling briefcase/laptop case has lots of compartments for purse-type things, I think. But since I haven't carried a purse in ages, I am only guessing. Everything I really need is in an $80 Tumi wallet (men's model from Nordstrom) that I carry in a pocket, preferably a back one on my slacks, but I can be flexible. In fact, I rarely take anything to the office but a laptop sleeve. The rolling bag is for flying, mostly. My biggest gripe is finding decent dress slacks that actually have REAL POCKETS! I just picked up a pair of women's slacks, marked down from $50 to $20 and spent another $30 to have back pockets added.

The razor issue is a hilarious. I always price the disposable ones at the store and even the "ladies" ones without moisturizer strips, no curved handles, etc., are always more expensive than comparable men's models. I'd rather buy the men's model and use the $$ saved for the beers at the bars and restaurants I go to when I travel!

I'm sure my husband will crack up when I tell him about the survey.

Of course, I am not an "HMI" (high maintenance item), whereas some of the women at work are. Others are like me. As always, YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:57 am

I'm always disappointed when the bathroom amenities don't include conditioner, body lotion, and mouthwash. You can pretty much count on shampoo, but that's about it, and it's really hard to travel with only carryon with the TSA liquid restrictions.
Even in the smallest travel sizes, all the other stuff I absolutely must have doesn't fit in a dinky quart baggie if I have to carry conditioner, lotion and mouthwash. I also need:
Toothpaste
Fragrance
Facial moisturizer
Sunscreen
Anti-perspirant (and if this comes in travel size, I can't find it. Smallest I can find for sale is usually 1 oz)
I've already ditched liquid foundation, which I always considered another absolute "must" for mineral makeup. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide anything like the same coverage, but at least the powder is dry and can go elsewhere.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Tutu
I am always buying new notebook computer bags but none of them really work for me. I like an aisle seat and my pull notebook bags often won't fit. I need them to pull as I have a shoulder injury. Most of those designed for women don't hold enough.
I feel like I wrote that post... "ditto"

I'm late to posting here and not sure of the OPs timeline, but I'll add in another voice for the laptop bag, although my requirements are a little different from some of the posters.

I want a lightweight laptop bag on wheels that is smaller than the generic Targus type bag that is on the market, but not as narrow as the portfolios they usually offer for women. It should only have one central space with room for the laptop (in sleeve) plus papers/folders and at least one paperback. Pockets on the side one for a water bottle or the like, and another on the other perhaps for keys or change.

As far as compartments go, a smaller compartment off the front of the bag with spaces for pens, business cards and maybe a small card wallet.

The back should have the piece of material to go over the larger roller carry on so they can be carried easily together and if possible, include a compartment off the back for the paper to slip into.

The handle on top should be extra secure and placed so if the bag is attached to another bag via the handle with straps, it is centered and doesn't flail to the side every few feet. My pace speeds up in an airport and I hate having to stop every few gates to adjust the bag.

The rear of the bag needs to be reinforced with additional material, usually hard plastic across the entire lower section from edge to edge. This is to protect the bag from a) my foot when I kick it to get it moving and b) to protect it when it gets rolled through the streets of NYC or equivalent.

Last, I don't need a hot pink, racy red or other color for the bag. Good quality black leather for a long-lasting bag is just fine and dandy for me

This is my wishlist and I have yet to find a bag meeting more than maybe 60% of the requirements at any one time.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmFT
I'm always disappointed when the bathroom amenities don't include conditioner, body lotion, and mouthwash. You can pretty much count on shampoo, but that's about it, and it's really hard to travel with only carryon with the TSA liquid restrictions.
Even in the smallest travel sizes, all the other stuff I absolutely must have doesn't fit in a dinky quart baggie if I have to carry conditioner, lotion and mouthwash. I also need:
Toothpaste
Fragrance
Facial moisturizer
Sunscreen
Anti-perspirant (and if this comes in travel size, I can't find it. Smallest I can find for sale is usually 1 oz)
I've already ditched liquid foundation, which I always considered another absolute "must" for mineral makeup. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide anything like the same coverage, but at least the powder is dry and can go elsewhere.
Of course, you decide what you absolutely must have and while your list seems not outrageous, I am sure it could be trimmed down a little. Conditioner and lotion can be packaged in the wonderful travel tubes by humangear. I use them for that purpose, too, actually for hair grooming cream. They work great and look cool and they are not expensive.

Toothpaste comes in 1oz and 0.75oz tubes. Those should be good for about a week at least. Mouthwash might not be needed, if dental hygiene is good and you don't have any other smelly problems.

Facial moisturizer can be had with integrated sunscreen. For vacations in the sun, just buy sunscreen at the destination. Otherwise, why would one need sunscreen for business travel? How short can a business skirt be?

Anti-perspirant: I use a crystal deodorant in the mini size for travel. It works great. Mind you it is not an anti-perspirant, that means it will still allow your pores to give off sweat. You just won't smell.

If you do it right, all this fits easily into the 1 quart bag.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PanAmFT
Toothpaste
Fragrance
Facial moisturizer
Sunscreen
I often carry sample sizes or 'gift with purchase' sizes (1/3 to 1/2 the normal size) when travelling, or decant them into small jars/bottles if necessary. Everything then fits into a 1 litre bag and I can do up to 10 days with it. The only thing I do not take is shower gel - I find that hotel ones are quite OK as long as I'm staying at a decent hotel, and I can't remember the last time the hotel did not supply a body lotion, so I only take a small jar of it, just in case. You can buy a 30ml toothpaste too, which helps to reduce the amount of things you have to put in a 1 litre bag.

My deodorant is a crystal one, so it doesn't count as liquid and it's also a small size. It took me a while to develop my 'travel kit' but now the kit live in my travel bag permanently.
Old May 8, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
I assume the OP has long gone, but I totally second a feminine (NOT pink or lacy) laptop bag that is comparable to a briefcase.

And what about a toiletry bag that is actually waterproof?? With multiple waterproof compartments - would save me lots of ziplock bags!! They might already exist, but I haven't found them
Old May 22, 2009, 8:52 am

Try www.ladiesaway.com

If you are a frequent traveller then you could to checkout www.ladiesaway.com.

It’s a website that enables businesswomen to network with other businesswomen while staying away on business. You can leave comments on places you’ve stayed (recommend or otherwise) and suggest restaurants, bars and shops other members may wish to visit.

It’s really simple to use ….. Just register where you’re staying and then see who’s staying in the same area. You can even contact those members who live in the area if you’re after some local knowledge.

Give it a try …. It’s fee.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Medallion
I would like to see better lighting in hotel bathrooms, or at least a lighted makeup mirror.

Also, I can't believe how impossible it is to find an unscented deodorant/antiperspirant in a travel size. It seems like my only options are scented, which always clash with my perfume. So I'm stuck lugging around a full size deodorant.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by LilTMD
I would like to see better lighting in hotel bathrooms, or at least a lighted makeup mirror.

Also, I can't believe how impossible it is to find an unscented deodorant/antiperspirant in a travel size. It seems like my only options are scented, which always clash with my perfume. So I'm stuck lugging around a full size deodorant.
I use a mini crystal deodorant. It is totally unscented, hypo-allergenic, works very well (I'm a man. Have little body odor and keep my underarm hair trimmed but not shaved. So for a woman it SHOULD work even better), is low cost and is super durable. You can use the small stick daily and not use it up in a year. It is also solid so it saves you space in the 311 bag. Finally, if you cut yourself while shaving, it works as a styptic pencil to seal and disinfect the cut.

See here http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7857 or in your local drugstore.

Till
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Found this link for Rebecca Little:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.