Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by LLM
Also, please don't assume that common OTC meds and such will be readily available. In Moroccan pharmacies, I was unable to purchase plain aspirin or chlorpheneramine. The aspirin was only available in pricey 20-packs combined with Vitamin C and the chlorpheneramine which you might know as Chlortimetron (100 at RiteAid for $5.29) they never heard of. I thought I'd brought plenty but developed a nasty cold besides my seasonal allergies and had to manage without the last two weeks. I'm going on another five week trip and this time will bring TWO bottles .
On the other hand, you can find some really interesting OTC stuff in other countries' pharmacies. (I always visit drugstores in other countries to see what kind of nifty stuff I can buy there but can't buy at home.)

In addition to buying lightweight clothes and gear with a view to travel, I also always go through my purse/pack before I go to get rid of unnecessary stuff that weighs it down. It's amazing how much extra weight accumulates in a purse or briefcase in terms of papers and bits you don't need. I'm always amazed at the way my husband travels. For example, he lugs a keychain around with about 20 unnecessary keys to doors and locks (e.g. for his mother's house and the house we own but rent out).

Last edited by Kate_Canuck; May 6, 2008 at 7:30 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 8:41 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
On the other hand, you can find some really interesting OTC stuff in other countries' pharmacies. (I always visit drugstores in other countries to see what kind of nifty stuff I can buy there but can't buy at home.)
Definitely. I am all out of those nifty Duquaine (spelling?) lozenges from Boots.

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
In addition to buying lightweight clothes and gear with a view to travel, I also always go through my purse/pack before I go to get rid of unnecessary stuff that weighs it down. It's amazing how much extra weight accumulates in a purse or briefcase in terms of papers and bits you don't need. I'm always amazed at the way my husband travels. For example, he lugs a keychain around with about 20 unnecessary keys to doors and locks (e.g. for his mother's house and the house we own but rent out).
I don't even have a purse . The husband, however, has a "manbag" aka laptop bag that is horrendous. Thank God it was stolen last year (got the passport back) but the new one is filling up. And the keys! He had no idea what they were for when we closed one office. The other office will be gone next month and then he should theoretically be key-free since he always takes my car.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:04 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by FoPAA
Essxjay, I'm very interested in the Magic Stylo liner, and have never seen it - what stores carry it?
Thanks!
I can't find the link in my bookmarks right now, but this is definitely the product:

http://www.cosmeticpen.com/

And get a load of the Lash Extension product -- ooh la la!!!!
Old May 12, 2008, 6:55 pm

I know there was an old thread about Travelers clothing by Chicos. I've added one or two items every year and those constitute the majority of my clothes I wear while traveling. Lightweight, easy to wash and dry and non wrinkling. If the weather is cold, I add long johns and a heavier coat.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lavedder
I know there was an old thread about Travelers clothing by Chicos. I've added one or two items every year and those constitute the majority of my clothes I wear while traveling. Lightweight, easy to wash and dry and non wrinkling. If the weather is cold, I add long johns and a heavier coat.

I have come to love this line. It is so easy to travel with and I love being able to wash and line dry it without any effort!
Old May 13, 2008, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
On the other hand, I don't like Chicos at all. I don't find them light in weight.

They are no good in business situations as they tend to look dumpy (at least on me).
Old May 13, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm also in the "don't like Chicos" crowd (or at least not the knit travel items). I find the fabric uncomfortable itchy, and too warm in summer and too cold in winter. Plus I look exactly like an unmade bed when I wear them.

I leave for Budapest tomorrow night. I'll post my (carry on only) packing list if I have the time before I leave.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:03 pm

Just discovered this thread as a link from another thread. There are many great ideas here and it is wonderful to see how many women are able to look great while keeping luggage to a smartly trimmed minimum. ^

On the other hand, it is just delightfully funny to read about those stereotypical women who travel with so much luggage they need a porter or two. I once carried the six bags of a dear friend upstairs with her husband. They were going to stay for five days. She had the equivalent of 6 22" bags. It was nuts. He had one bag.

As a man, I can tell you two things very frankly, we are in the first line of people to profit from you looking great and we appreciate the effort. But, we are also in the first line of people to make fun of you for bringing the entire wardrobe and cosmetic salon along.

Charmingly said, if we like you, we like you with or without make-up and with or without fancy clothes. Most of us will not notice that you wear a different pair of shoes every time we go out.

Bluntly said, you are either pretty enough without make-up and many clothes or you aren't. In the first case, you don't need to bring that stuff along. In the second case, you don't need it, either, because it won't help.

Obviously, the final argument is that everybody will need to feel good and look good for his/her own vanity. So, if you boil it down, this becomes an argument of vanity vs. smart traveler. You want to be known for being vain or for being smart? Vanity doesn't make a woman sexier (at least not for me) but smart traveler certainly does!

Till
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tfar
Just discovered this thread as a link from another thread. There are many great ideas here and it is wonderful to see how many women are able to look great while keeping luggage to a smartly trimmed minimum. ^

On the other hand, it is just delightfully funny to read about those stereotypical women who travel with so much luggage they need a porter or two. I once carried the six bags of a dear friend upstairs with her husband. They were going to stay for five days. She had the equivalent of 6 22" bags. It was nuts. He had one bag.

As a man, I can tell you two things very frankly, we are in the first line of people to profit from you looking great and we appreciate the effort. But, we are also in the first line of people to make fun of you for bringing the entire wardrobe and cosmetic salon along.

Charmingly said, if we like you, we like you with or without make-up and with or without fancy clothes. Most of us will not notice that you wear a different pair of shoes every time we go out.

Bluntly said, you are either pretty enough without make-up and many clothes or you aren't. In the first case, you don't need to bring that stuff along. In the second case, you don't need it, either, because it won't help.

Obviously, the final argument is that everybody will need to feel good and look good for his/her own vanity. So, if you boil it down, this becomes an argument of vanity vs. smart traveler. You want to be known for being vain or for being smart? Vanity doesn't make a woman sexier (at least not for me) but smart traveler certainly does!

Till
Charmingly said, I find it amazing that one with such stereotypical attitudes still exists, much less would have any interest in reading this thread.

Bluntly said, you are entitled to your attitudes, however outdated they may be.

By the way, MR SOPHIE always has about twice as much luggage as me.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Apr 29, 2009 at 3:51 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GfL
Actually, I thought that these comments
if we like you, we like you with or without make-up and with or without fancy clothes. Most of us will not notice that you wear a different pair of shoes every time we go out.
Vanity doesn't make a woman sexier (at least not for me) but smart traveler certainly does!
represented my thinking exactly. I don't think I'm a stereotypical male (perhaps because I am female ), nor do I find this thinking outdated.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Actually, I thought that these comments

represented my thinking exactly. I don't think I'm a stereotypical male (perhaps because I am female ), nor do I find this thinking outdated.
I couldn't agree with you more - when one is only considering these 2 comments.

My post is based upon:

Bluntly said, you are either pretty enough without make-up and many clothes or you aren't. Who decides pretty? Who cares? How does one know there is make-up and clothes in multiple suitcases - perhaps it is medical supplies or product samples? My boss is the most "manly" of men - yet he always has multiple suitcases, as he must bring a portable dialysis machine.

stereotypical women who travel with so much luggage they need a porter or two. I am a woman. I use porters quite often - even though I never have more than 2 bags. I have nothing to prove schlepping luggage, and if there is someone there who makes their living doing so, I will use them if I feel it is necessary.

And finally -
As a man, I can tell you two things very frankly, we are in the first line of people to profit from you looking great and we appreciate the effort. But, we are also in the first line of people to make fun of you for bringing the entire wardrobe and cosmetic salon along. Again - who decides what "looks great"? And when does one "make fun"? At 2suitcases? 4? Only when a porter is used?

IMO, the idea of deciding whether a complete stranger is "smart" or "sexy" based on the number of suitcases they travel with stereotypical. You disagree - TEHO - .
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:05 pm

Till
What a foolish assumption that everyone who travels with multiple bags does so out of vanity, or that there is anything inherently "smarter" about having fewer bags.

Lifestyle and medical issues are the reasons that we often have two checked bags, not make-up, not excess clothing, not hair appliances. I've got a small pharmacy in my carry-on for two travelers who must deal every day of their lives with complex medical problems. We choose to keep living and keep traveling instead of staying home and vegetating, and that means taking a wide variety of medications and paraphernalia with us - like a nebulizer, Epi-pens, etc. Does bringing medical gear that makes us "feel good" constitute vanity in your world?

We also are committed to learning, which means we travel with books, notebooks, art supplies, etc. - bulky, but necessary.

And, finally, I do find it puzzling that a bachelor keeps posting put-downs of women in the Women Travelers forum.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:58 pm

Obviously, there are always medical and professional and perhaps even other exemptions that make perfectly good reasons to bring whatever luggage is required.

The gist of this thread was that a large proportion of the female sex has a hard time traveling light and wonders whether this is even possible. Whereas another group (stereotype would dictate that this group is smaller) has no such problems and ably advises the first group how to travel light. There was no mention of "required" luggage, therefore using this as a counter argument to justify more bags is dialectically not effective.

I have also never said that "everyone who travels with multiple bags does so out of vanity" or that it is "inherently smarter to have fewer bags". It is funny to see how I allow myself to stereotype in good faith and good humor for the sake of better understanding and how then my comments get stereotyped and generalized even further to the point where even I would take offense. Except that, I never said anything like that.

Moreover, I don't think it is a put-down to say that most men love their women with or without make-up. Putting down women is as far away from my personality as one could imagine. Anyone of my female friends and former partners could attest to that. Putting out a cheeky comment that has the potential to ruffle some overly sensible feathers just for the fun of listening to the feathers, is -admittedly- not out of character for me.

Finally, I ask to please not make any assumptions about my relationship status; this is not myspace. For what it's worth, I've been with my current female partner for ten years. Yeah, amazing, I know!

Sophiegirl, what does Mr. Sophiegirl bring along? I often have more luggage, too. That's because I often am the one to bring the laptop so she doesn't have to. And I bring (and carry) the camera equipment. Finally, her stuff is smaller and lighter to about the factor 2. So, of course, my things require more space and weigh more. I also probably fit the metro-sexual stereotype and have a lot of beauty products just for the joy of trying out new stuff. But for travel I make a very conscious effort to reduce weight and bulk. I even weighed my two hair brushes to see which one is lighter. At home, I use both brushed depending on what I want to achieve. For traveling, I restrict myself to just one brush.

Using a porter was a way to make a point. It is telling of my own mindset that I would not use a porter for just two bags, unless they were so heavy I couldn't handle them, which I really try to avoid. There is also an unrelated question of social concerns in using a porter. Again, when it's absolutely needed I'll use one without concerns. Otherwise, I am reluctant to use a porter just for my own comfort even if I pay him and even if he's perfectly happy performing this service for pay. A little anecdote: As a teenager I was once invited to stay at the French Consulate in Hamburg. Beautiful villa with all the usual decor and personnel. A classic French maid in her twenties opens the door and offers to carry my largish duffle bag to the room. I refused and carried it myself because it just seemed strange to have a woman carry my bag for me, if I can just as well do it myself, even if it would have been ok in terms of etiquette because she was the "servant" and I was the guest of the "master".

On the other hand, my friend's husband and I had no problem fulfilling our chivalrous duty of schlepping her six bags and felt incredibly manly doing so, whilst teasing her for it, which she didn't mind. It probably made her feel womanly to have her husband and best friend at her beck and call. The only sad thing was that both got terribly sick and had to stay at home all the time so she couldn't even strutt her stuff in Paris. NB: At the time we were both fashion designers and very much into clothes. There was also ZERO necessary professional or medical equipment in her six bags for five days. Although one could make a point that being well dressed is a requirement for a fashion designer on vacation in Paris. But this was really enough luggage to make fun of her, or so Richard and I decided.

Who decides pretty? To each his/her own. Research shows though that a sense of beauty is present in the human being even before speech is developed. And beauty is different from pretty, of course. Pretty, is most likely a cultural and thus changing phenomenon, which also explains the need and desire to change wardrobes. And it's a ton of fun on top of it! And nobody appreciates a well-dressed and stylish woman more than I.

In fact, my current partner didn't care enough about the way she dressed. I fell in love with her anyway. It took me years to help her find her style. I'd have to force her to accept designer clothes as a gift. Now, she is one of the best dressed young ladies I know and has her own style for every occasion. I still love her just as much as before but I am even prouder, I must admit.

We pass judgments on complete strangers within seconds and based on superficial observations all the time, whether that's morally wrong or right. In fact, it is the only practical way. If I see a fabulously styled woman with four to five fashionable bags (imagine Vuitton or animal print) who struggles with her luggage, sorry, I can't help but chuckle. And I don't find that woman very sexy or very smart. Nonetheless, I'll help her along with her luggage.
Now, if I see a fabulously styled woman with one piece of functional yet good looking luggage (imagine anything from Eagle Creek to Hartmann) who just breezes through check-in and security and is super prepared, I will notice her just as much but more positively. This must be one smart woman because she is well dressed with minimal material means. That means she must have thought about it more and is smart about traveling. And smart women are sexy!

Travelmad,
thanks for the support. I don't know if this thinking is outdated. I would venture to say that this rather straightforward thinking is less macho than the thinking that would say a woman is only there to be pretty, that's her major quality and she has to do all she can to attract men. Unfortunately, in real life, and in the USA in particular, that seems to be the thinking of too many women, even if they wouldn't admit it.

Cheers to all light and heavy travelers,

Till
Old May 18, 2009, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BettyKat

in all seriousness, i save almost all of the samples i get and that comprises my travel toiletries bag. it's a big part of the joy of travel for me: whenever i go somewhere - even if it's a boring hole in the wall (say, the ramada in el paso) - i get excited waiting to open my travel toiletries bag and pick and choose the eye cream, face cleanser, face lotion, sunscreen, bronzers, scrubs and other fun little special things i don't normally use...which i'll use for the next few days...and then using them itself brings its own little joy!

(and i love throwing things away, so i love using up the little samples and coming back with a lighter bag)

i'm a sad, sad case...
So glad I'm not the only one.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe I am not reading correctly what the OP is saying but it seems there may be some confusion about liquid carry ons. I think the OP thinks she can only carry on 3 liquid products. You are allowed 1 one quart ziploc bag and in that bag you must place all your liquid items. Each liquid item inside the baggie is limited to 3oz in size. Any non liquid or powdered makeup items are not restricted for plane travel.

I agree with ditching the heavy coat, bulky sweater and jeans. These items take up entirely too much room. Unless I am travelling to Minnesota in January that much heavy clothes are overboard. Even with the unpredictable California weather a quality cashmere sweater, a pashmina and a pair of trousers take up a whole lot less room and serve the same purpose.

One thing I also always carry is a pair of flip flops. I can wear them as bedside slippers or as a quick shoe to wear down the hall to fetch ice or to the pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.