Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Looking for new luggage for wife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2006, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I was not sure where to post this - hopefully you can help me.

My wife is a frequent flyer - 1K on UA and she is a Plat on AA and she is 7 months pregnant.

Lately, she has become tired of her black Tumi G4 bags. She wants new luggage. She wants color. She wants something new. I'm kind of lost. I just bought her two bags at Coach that the sales person told me that they would double as baby bag and business bag. She does not like any of the new Tumi stuff.

She wants a new roll on and some type of backpack. She likes luxury items.

Help.
Old May 20, 2006, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If your wife likes luxury, she might like this: You really can't go wrong with LV. Congratulations on the pregnancy.

http://www.eluxury.com/browse/produc...yleid=10333685
Old May 22, 2006, 12:54 pm

I had Tumi forever, but got tired of it and decided on some pieces from T. Anthony which I love. They've got a new wheeled duffle that's dynamite but at almost $700, it should be. Great colors as well.

www.tanthony.com

Vicki
www.privatescotland.com
Old May 22, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA
LV does make some nice pieces but personally I get sick of looking at monogram all the time.

Valextra makes great luggage in classic designs. They are very understated and certainly not as flashy as LV. Prada also makes some nice rolling cases, which should be available at NM.

Its hard to find a good backpack that is stylish, practical, and comfortable.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by utvolunteer
LV does make some nice pieces but personally I get sick of looking at monogram all the time.

Valextra makes great luggage in classic designs. They are very understated and certainly not as flashy as LV. Prada also makes some nice rolling cases, which should be available at NM.

Its hard to find a good backpack that is stylish, practical, and comfortable.
The LV EPI collection isn't monogrammed (but I don't know if the collection includes luggage). I have only seen the Prada rollaboards in gold and black. BTW, my sister-in-law has a Prada rollaboard and thinks the construction is terrible. IIRC, I saw a pretty set by Lambertson Truex at Saks which was quite colorful. Haven't seen it lately.
Old May 22, 2006, 8:28 pm

Just read an article in the current issue of Time which addresses your issues.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...196430,00.html
Old May 23, 2006, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Just read an article in the current issue of Time which addresses your issues.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...196430,00.html
Great article, thanks. Never one to turn down an excuse for checking out fine leather goods, I popped into the LV site and they have a few travel items, but small ones.

I personally don't care much for the LV monogram, but think the EPI collection is nice.

http://www.louisvuitton.com/web/flas...0&langue=en_US
Old May 23, 2006, 5:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

Why don:t you get a catalog from eBags? Have her leaf thru it and indicate the colors and designs that she likes. I find it easier to look at the paper catalogs than online, and they have a nice range of products.
Old May 23, 2006, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
No LV

A couple of years ago my wife wanted some LV. We were at the store and I promised that I would buy it for her when we got back from Asia. Well, while we were in Asia we went down to the markets and lo and behold LV was all over the place. Seeing all that counterfeit made her not want LV.

Unfortunately for me, my wife does not like paper catalogs. She likes to go to the stores.

Thanks obscure for the article.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:04 pm

Well, I don't know how much this will help, but I have had my eye on a Diane Von Furstenburg set of luggage that I love. It isn't all that bold colored, but it is light brown suede canvas with dark brown trim. Very classy luggage. It is the Private Jet series- here's a link to my favorite- the Wheeled Club Bag:
http://www.ebags.com/diane_von_furst...?modelid=16395

She also has a nice Vintage City line, and Color on the Go luggage that has some bright red, greens, and teals: see here:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

I like to look online at http://bags.com or Bloomingdale's, Macy's websites, etc, to see if they have some things I like, before I go somewhere and end up disappointed that they had nothing of interest. Online Macy's you can even shop by luggage color if you like. Definitly a good idea to buy luggage in person -or at least look at it- so you get a chance to check out the workmanship, size, etc. You can always not buy and go home and order off the web if there are some discounts online at some stores.

Also- maybe there is something of interest here? very high-end luxury stuff.
http://www.superiorluggage.com/

Once you find a style you like, you can google the name and should find some stores that have it. Cuts down on shopping time for me.

Last edited by reckless31abandon; May 24, 2006 at 12:20 pm
Old May 27, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
I love my Louis Vuitton duffle bag. Can't live without it. They have so many styles. They have a catalog that 2 inchs thick....so there is lots of choices.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I have no personal experience with this brand, but Domino magazine recently featured Bric's in an article on travel products. Some of their products are a bit over the top, but there's also some very nice stuff in there if you search through.

For travel accessories, they mentioned Stephanie Johnson, which has some really cute cosmetic cases, jewelry rolls, etc. Right now, if you use the code "Domino deals" at checkout, you get 25% off--may order some.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I have no personal experience with this brand, but Domino magazine recently featured Bric's in an article on travel products. Some of their products are a bit over the top, but there's also some very nice stuff in there if you search through.

For travel accessories, they mentioned Stephanie Johnson, which has some really cute cosmetic cases, jewelry rolls, etc. Right now, if you use the code "Domino deals" at checkout, you get 25% off--may order some.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I ordered some things for my daughter and for me, and received the 25% off on each order. I'm tossing out all my old ratty ones, which were boring black, anyway. Can't wait to receive these for an upcomiing trip.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:45 am

No one has mentioned the Longchamps luggage and bags - I swear by them for travel - great colors and nice style - they're not super duper high tech, but quite good for business travel. I love the wheely bag and also the larger of the totes.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:10 am

For a stylish diaper backpack (and a diaper backpack is absolutely essential for frequent travel with a baby) you might want to take a look at the bags from Oi Oi. I don't know how practical they are, having never used one, but I do know that they drew lots of positive press on style points at recent JP shows.

For a rolling bag, I'd look at Victorinox. They have some good colors in this year's line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.