Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A gift from Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

A gift from Rome?

I need to bring home two gifts from an upcoming trip to Rome for women friends and could some suggestions.

First is a gift for a Significant Birthday for a very long term friend. I want something that she couldn't get in the U.S, something that definitely says "Italy" but isn't tourist kitsch. She's a mid level manager with a chemical firm, so high style fashion accessories would not be useful for her as she wears a lab coat much of the day. Budget about €50.

Second is a gift for the pet sitter who dreams of travel but doesn't have the resources. She is of mature years, yet not stodgy. Budget €25

I know Florence would be far better for shopping, but this trip is just Rome.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:08 am

I like to look in the cookware/housewares sections of stores. We once picked up a cute stack of (stackable) coffee cups that I have not seen in the US. My sister brought me a set of funny little spoons, faces on them, for stirring sugar into coffee/tea. I remember that in Spain there was so much more stuff associated with ham -display, cutting, knives, storage, etc. You'll be sure to find something different.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:52 am

Amanda Ruggeri of Revealed Rome recently did a series of posts on gift ideas in Rome.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:47 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Murano glass, pottery, dishes.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I need to bring home two gifts from an upcoming trip to Rome for women friends and could some suggestions.

First is a gift for a Significant Birthday for a very long term friend. I want something that she couldn't get in the U.S, something that definitely says "Italy" but isn't tourist kitsch. She's a mid level manager with a chemical firm, so high style fashion accessories would not be useful for her as she wears a lab coat much of the day. Budget about €50.

Second is a gift for the pet sitter who dreams of travel but doesn't have the resources. She is of mature years, yet not stodgy. Budget €25

Disclaimer: I very rarely purchase items at airport stores because they are often such a bad value compared with stores nearby in the local free world. DME is the worst in the world for this.

Anyway, last time I was at FCO, *pause*

Yes. F.C.O. *pause* Having traveled from

*pause*

P.H.L.......

it was :-: best in class :-:

Just testing to see if you're awake.

No, it wasn't. It's true that was the time when DL's world-infamous SM redemption demand pushed me over the edge. But I used MP and flew US J.

Anyway back to FCO.

In fact, there was a sale at one of the airport stores including white carpisa leather pocketbooks. I bought four of varying design for Ms.Shark - they were E30 instead of 80 or 100. She uses one until it's done and then swaps. These were greeted with acclaim by almost all her coworkers and other observers.

Ms. Shark is highly suspicious of fashionista attempts by me. The news of leather item purchases @ FCO was greeted with derision. However, she is unable to offer objections to the value or style of these items.

Only yesterday Ms. Shark's accessory was complimented by the neighbor lady who asked where it came from, "It looks Italian" "B/c, it is." "how much, if I might inquire?" "About 30E, on sale @FCO" "Wow! I could go there and get five of them!" "I understand. I almost did." etc.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Disclaimer: I very rarely purchase items at airport stores because they are often such a bad value compared with stores nearby in the local free world. DME is the worst in the world for this.

Anyway, last time I was at FCO, *pause*

Yes. F.C.O. *pause* Having traveled from

*pause*

P.H.L.......

it was :-: best in class :-:

Just testing to see if you're awake.
I'm awake! (Just barely, viscious jet lag this week)

We flew US Airways, starting from one of the dumpiest terminals I have seen in years - I think there were only U.S. carriers there, all the others got moved to the nice, new building. No shops.

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Anyway back to FCO.

In fact, there was a sale at one of the airport stores including white carpisa leather pocketbooks. I bought four of varying design for Ms.Shark - they were E30 instead of 80 or 100. She uses one until it's done and then swaps. These were greeted with acclaim by almost all her coworkers and other observers.

Ms. Shark is highly suspicious of fashionista attempts by me. The news of leather item purchases @ FCO was greeted with derision. However, she is unable to offer objections to the value or style of these items.

Only yesterday Ms. Shark's accessory was complimented by the neighbor lady who asked where it came from, "It looks Italian" "B/c, it is." "how much, if I might inquire?" "About 30E, on sale @FCO" "Wow! I could go there and get five of them!" "I understand. I almost did." etc.
Near the international departure gates, there were a few shops, but I didn't see any leather goods. I did find a duty free store with Biotherm skin care products for exactly twice the price of the ones I bought in the shop near my hotel. Wish I had found your treasure trove.

For the record, what I ended getting for both gifts were some pretty and unusual necklaces with Murano glass beads. Got these from a street vendor, €10 each. They have the virtue of being authentically Italian while also being small to pack and cheap.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have some cheap glass bead necklaces I got on the street in Italy in the mid-90s - still wear them & receive compliments on them today - great choice!
Old May 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

I second the glass-option. Get some Murano glass jewellery, it comes in all colours and many styles. The pieces that I have I'd consider smart-casual as opposed to formal. I don't wear them all the time, but even a few times of year for life seems good (better to me as something significant than something that is out of date in 2 years).

For the second gift, maybe consider a book of pictures from Italy? Coffee-table type book, text not needed (so could be Italian). Or if she likes special food, get some stuff from a supermarket in Rome? It really is better than from home. Just check import restrictions!

DanishFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.