Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What are the best airports for DF prices on cosmetics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I go in and out of various airports all over the world, and it seems that the best df prices for cosmetics and skin products (lancome, estee lauder, chanel, etc.....) are those at duty free shops when leaving the US.

Are there other airports that have the U.S. beat when it comes to DF prices on cosmetics?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
I have to say that Dublin is pretty reasonable - and there's a great selection. I wear Lancome Adaptive foundation which is €31 locally - €22 in DUB D/F. Same foundation is €29 in Sephora France
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I've found that the cosmetic prices at the DF shop leaving Canada is better than the U.S. DF prices. Of course, my savings varies depending on the exchange rate on the USD at the time.

TF
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the tips- I so appreciate.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have found very good deals on certain skincare lines in Singapore - when purchased in town (not at DF!). Additionally, the department stores are more likely to throw in samples and bonus gifts, depending on what you purchase.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I once found La Prairie skin care products on sale at the DF Shop in ZRH. The discount made them very very reasonable (they cost a fortune in the U.S.).
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Oslo Airport and now most other Norwegian ones were recently bought by Germans (I worked there) and we aim to be 10% below most European ones. Frankfurt has reportedly beat us, and LHR happens to have very good offers sometimes. www.tax-free.no if interested
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've done well with intown shopping in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok.

My biggest problem is finding the shades of Origins or Lancome that I wear - I am extremely pale and most of the duty free shops only carry a few shades and the lightest is often two or three shades darker than me!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Just came out of Kuala Lumpur recently and bought the Estee Lauder Stress Relief Eye Masks for RM 100 (about 28 USD). These are 36 euro in many DF shops! Will be going back in a little bit and probably stocking up on more Estee Lauder. Interestingly, they also had DayWear lotion in SPF 30 for the same price as the SPF 15 version--I've only seen 15 available normally.

The shops also had many "whitening" products that you can't get outside of Asia.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Asia is probably the only market where whitening lines are prevalent across the major skincare brands. Sometimes you can get them in the U.S., but only at Asian resellers.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:23 pm

Question DayWear Lotion

Originally Posted by kuroneko
Just came out of Kuala Lumpur recently and bought the Estee Lauder Stress Relief Eye Masks for RM 100 (about 28 USD). These are 36 euro in many DF shops! Will be going back in a little bit and probably stocking up on more Estee Lauder. Interestingly, they also had DayWear lotion in SPF 30 for the same price as the SPF 15 version--I've only seen 15 available normally.

The shops also had many "whitening" products that you can't get outside of Asia.
Did you find Estee Lauder (green tinted) DayWear or DayWear Plus? I have been searching for places to buy the discontinued DayWear Lotion and have only been able to find one website that offers it for $32 plus shipping for 1.7oz. I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not, and am curious as to how much it was selling for in the DF shop.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jmcope86
Did you find Estee Lauder (green tinted) DayWear or DayWear Plus? I have been searching for places to buy the discontinued DayWear Lotion and have only been able to find one website that offers it for $32 plus shipping for 1.7oz. I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not, and am curious as to how much it was selling for in the DF shop.
May I suggest eBay? My favorite place for finding many discontinued items.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmcope86
Whoops! Sorry, I have been traveling and not really checking these posts! I actually didn't know that they discontinued DayWear! I have bought this from time to time, and thought that this was a product staple esp. since they just came out with the SPF 30 version.

But back to your question--yes, I saw both the SPF 15 and 30 versions last time I went through KLIA in May. Unfortunately, I didn't note how much it was in the shop then, since I wasn't buying that particular item. Personally, I think 32 is a reasonable price, since I think that's how much it generally goes for? And like the previous poster said, I think Ebay is a good source as well, if you find a good seller. Good luck!

I still can't believe this great product is being discontinued! Boo.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I decided to do some comparing for you all, but then my plans got shot down in flames when I realised very few Duty Free Stores had their pricing available online. For the No5 I've also thrown in an online non-duty price for comparison. If your favourite duty free shop has perfumes (and I used Chanel just because I figure No 5 is quite international, and Chance is becoming popular) I welcome you to put your local price up here.

Anyway this is some price comparison for what I found:

CHANEL - CHANCE - 100ml EDT Spray

Downtown Duty Free - Australia - $113
Duty Free Store - Iceland - 7.590 kr

CHANEL - CHANEL NO. 5 - 50ml EDP Spray

Downtown Duty Free - Australia - AUD$ 106
Duty Free Store - Iceland - 4.390 kr
Strawberrynet.com - USA Online (non-Duty Free) - US$90

---

I used the following websites in my mission:
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
that is a very good point!

Originally Posted by izzik
Asia is probably the only market where whitening lines are prevalent across the major skincare brands. Sometimes you can get them in the U.S., but only at Asian resellers.
I'm also in the very, very pale catagory. So many make ups are way too dark for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.