Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Any "cures" for intolerance to Splenda

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler

My stomach gets upset and I get very bloated whenever I eat or drink anything with Splenda. Unfortunately, I'm currently trying to lose weight and have to stay away from so many lo calorie foods and drinks because of Splenda. I've tried many of the over the counter medications to relieve my symtoms, but nothing seems to work. I do have a pretty sensitive stomach and also have a problem tolerating many pre-packaged foods, eg. WW entries, and too much fiber. I never had any stomach problems when I was younger, but I seem to be less and less tolerant as I become older. The only odd thing is that I very, very rarely have any kind of stomach problems when I travel, and I travel to Central and South America somewhat often. I think it may be that they don't use preservatives.

I'm going to make an appointment with a gastro doctor soon, but was wondering if anyone else has any of the same problems and have found solutions.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by vandykes44
My stomach gets upset and I get very bloated whenever I eat or drink anything with Splenda. Unfortunately, I'm currently trying to lose weight and have to stay away from so many lo calorie foods and drinks because of Splenda. I've tried many of the over the counter medications to relieve my symtoms, but nothing seems to work. I do have a pretty sensitive stomach and also have a problem tolerating many pre-packaged foods, eg. WW entries, and too much fiber. I never had any stomach problems when I was younger, but I seem to be less and less tolerant as I become older. The only odd thing is that I very, very rarely have any kind of stomach problems when I travel, and I travel to Central and South America somewhat often. I think it may be that they don't use preservatives.

I'm going to make an appointment with a gastro doctor soon, but was wondering if anyone else has any of the same problems and have found solutions.
\

I am terribly intolerant of most artificial sweetners, it is just how your body metabolism them (remember a decent part of it is synthetic junk the body isnt meant to take in anyway). You can lose weight without living on diet products and in the end you'll be better off without them.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by vandykes44
My stomach gets upset and I get very bloated whenever I eat or drink anything with Splenda.
That is a common reaction. I can't tolerate Splenda at all, and have found a number of articles on the web detailing how large molecule artificial sweetners such as it cause gastric problems.

The simplest and safest solution is to avoid the stuff. Try water with a squeeze of citrus instead of soda, and fruit or pretzels instead of "diet" baked goods.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: nwa
Try putting the zest of fruits in to your water it gives it a bit of flavor without any calories. If you want something a bit more try club soda with a splash of fresh juice. Iam also trying to lose weigh and I can not tolerate the taste of artificial sweetner so iam going with the zest and flavor waters with no sweetners
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
And you intolerance to packaged foods, again probably the synthetic preservatives or also a lot of them hide MSG in them (which I am very susceptible too also). Best thing to do if you want convenience meals is cook a lot of something, portion and freeze and then use as needed. You will find a lot less side effects.

And I say this as the worst cook in the world *smile*
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA; DL;
You are probably better off. I think I'm getting addicted to Splenda and that can not be a good thing.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
I found out that Splenda bothers my system (the hard way). I try to stay away from the stuff.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:45 pm

An ingredient in sugarless gum sets off symptoms of IBS in my son. He also has an intolerance to Splenda.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
So glad I came across this thread! I have been drinking a beverage with Splenda lately and have experienced the same thing!

There are two natural sweeteners that do work for me: Xylitol and Stevia. Both can be found in a store like Wild Oats or Whole Foods. I find that these two sweeteners seem both safer and less irritating than Splenda.

HTH!
GG
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What kind of foods do you eat which have contained Splenda?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
The best

Ok..the BEST tasting sugar substitute EVER is Whey Low. It is a bit pricey, but I swear it tastes like sugar. Also has brown sugar, powdered and maple syrup versions.

It is a bit pricey and (I think) only available at their website, but I swear by this stuff. Give it a try!

http://wheylow.com/
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:50 am

I'd suggest that you get acclimatized to foods which are less sweet. My father was a mature onset diabetic and when he was diagnosed the whole family stopped adding sugar to things. If we could do it as a whole family, I'm sure you can too. This is by far the healthiest option.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
What kind of foods do you eat which have contained Splenda?
Personally, I don't eat the stuff, but I do read labels. I have seen it in:
Yogurt
ice cream
cookies
cereal
frozen desserts/entrees
low-cal candy
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador
Same here had to go cold turkey

I switched to sweeteners when trying to loose weight cause I drink a lot of coffee (and need alot of sugar to make it really sweet)...and the sweetener was causing my whole stomach area to get rock hard and very swollen/bloated. I had to quit cold turkey.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Personally, I don't eat the stuff, but I do read labels. I have seen it in:
Yogurt
ice cream
cookies
cereal
frozen desserts/entrees
low-cal candy
Many yoghurts still use Aspartame (Equal), so you won't have to give up on something as wonderful as yoghurt.

Cereal....just add Equal to corn flakes, cheerios, oatmeal, or any other cereal which has no sugar or sweeteners.

As for baked goods, you can't cook with Equal unfortunately. Only Splenda works so I would just give up those things all together if Splenda makes you ill.

Ice Cream? Sugar or Splenda.....nothing else out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.