Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

South Beach's First 'Female Friendly' Hotel Opens

Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article16772.html - for the full article - here's a snip from the beginning of it...

In the era of The Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and Morgan's Hotels, the new Sanctuary Hotel in South Beach is a creative superluxe hotel minus the corporate flag.

Sanctuary Hotel is also South Beach's first "female-friendly" hotel, with an ongoing 25-percent discount for single women guests, and special amenities for them like, cabana boys at the rooftop pool to apply suntan lotion; beach jogging and yoga companions; a chic in-house salon and spa for beauty and pampering; and personal shoppers, http://www.sanctuarysobe.com/.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:30 am

Programs: HHDia NWASE AAGold MarriottSilver
Okay...

I'll admit it....

I was just mindlessly skimming over the info about the modern decor and other amenities of this new chic boutique style hotel, but the cabana boy thing, really got my attention!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, this cabana boy lotion service will do wonders for female business travellers. ^
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This hotel just wants to attract women so that men (and more money) follow. Just another meat-market in South Beach.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:16 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
I like the Cabana Boy idea. Can you be a married single woman guest? How about going with a bunch of other Married single women - do you think that counts?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:30 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This hotel just wants to attract women so that men (and more money) follow. Just another meat-market in South Beach.
I'm sure you're right. I wonder about the legality of offering lower rates for women. I thought pricing based on gender is illegal.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by wma
I like the Cabana Boy idea. Can you be a married single woman guest? How about going with a bunch of other Married single women - do you think that counts?
The marketing piece is ambiguous about that. I assumed "single" meant just one woman, not her marital status. If you share a room with another woman, do you still get the 25% discount? I guess if you want to know, you can contact them.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by letiole
I'm sure you're right. I wonder about the legality of offering lower rates for women. I thought pricing based on gender is illegal.
Discrimination based on marital status will cause them plenty of grief.
Discrimination based on gender ought to as well, but telling that to some dry-cleaners (re: gender) and some hairdressers (re: ethnicity) yield inconsistent results.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:26 pm

Bars do it all the time. If I remember, a man challenged this and accused bars of sexual discrimination. I assume his challenge never saw the light of day because I haven't heard anything more about it and the bars in my neighborhood still have ladies' nights in the beginning of the week with 1/2 prices drinks for women so that men will follow.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Where do I apply to be a cabana boy?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Discrimination based on marital status will cause them plenty of grief.
Discrimination based on gender ought to as well, but telling that to some dry-cleaners (re: gender) and some hairdressers (re: ethnicity) yield inconsistent results.
I always forget it's a state law in California and not federal that makes this type of discrimination illegal (although it also brings inconsistent results - some places I go to there's just no sense in even bringing it up).
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Where do I apply to be a cabana boy?
I'd be happy to look over your qualifications.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Somewhat OT - but I've always wondered about this - I completely understand the marketing concepts behind things like Ladie's night - but that's something that annoys me - that's just blatant price discrimination (men pay cover, women don't) - then, at some places, there are things like increased cover charges for people that are 18-20 & decreased ones for 21+ (under the assumption that the 18-20 year olds will not be spending $ on alcohol) - and another thing that I don't get is how some places, like car dealerships & state/county fairs, often offer military discounts & not just for military members, but their families too...lastly, there was a bar in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC, called Madam's Organ that used to offer (and they may still do - it's been a while since I've been there), discounted drinks to redheads - how is that legal??

Not sure whether all those things are legal or illegal, but it just seems to me that the shouldn't be...
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:32 am

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Somewhat OT - but I've always wondered about this - I completely understand the marketing concepts behind things like Ladie's night - but that's something that annoys me - that's just blatant price discrimination (men pay cover, women don't) - then, at some places, there are things like increased cover charges for people that are 18-20 & decreased ones for 21+ (under the assumption that the 18-20 year olds will not be spending $ on alcohol) - and another thing that I don't get is how some places, like car dealerships & state/county fairs, often offer military discounts & not just for military members, but their families too...lastly, there was a bar in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC, called Madam's Organ that used to offer (and they may still do - it's been a while since I've been there), discounted drinks to redheads - how is that legal??

Not sure whether all those things are legal or illegal, but it just seems to me that the shouldn't be...

Oh, please don't get me started. I have a list some where where to states how items for women are priced more then for men. I'd say that is a bit discriminatory. For instance a haircut for women is more, dry cleaning for the same item, such as a blouse vs a shirt, is higher, and clothing for women has been proven to be priced higher.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by JulieAA
Oh, please don't get me started. I have a list some where where to states how items for women are priced more then for men. I'd say that is a bit discriminatory. For instance a haircut for women is more, dry cleaning for the same item, such as a blouse vs a shirt, is higher, and clothing for women has been proven to be priced higher.
I see you're in California, which has a law against gender-based price discrimination on services such as hair cuts, dry cleaning and altering. Of course, not everyone follows it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.