Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do you have the tendency to buy the same type of item over and over again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

While I was putting up yet another purchase of note cards-I started to think:

Am I the only one who has the tendency to buy the same type of item over and over again even though I DONT really need it but seem to be drawn to it?

Come on I have enough note cards, greeting card, etc to send probably everyone who has a FT screen name a handwritten note!

In addition to cards I have the same problem when it comes to:

socks (everyone thought they had alot of undies HAHAHA you should see my sock drawers)
scarves
lotion
body wash
travel sized products

AND

I AM NOT ALLOWING MYSELF TO BUY ANY but I am ALWAYS drawn to any luggage in a store so I can *check it out*!

So..do you have the same "issue" and if so what are you drawn to?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:14 am

Programs: DL GM
Oh, my goodness, yes.

Clothes: I buy multiples of comfortable clothes and shoes (sometimes in different colors, sometimes identical). It started out as a sensible idea, but how many pairs of black pants can one woman need?

Shoes: I'm not quite up to Imelda Marcos' standard, by I find it hard to pass up a pair of shoes. When you live in the SE US, do you really need 4 pairs of boots?

I try to buy my Clinique and Estee Lauder products only when they're doing a "gift with purchase" even though I rarely want any of the "gift" products. (But actually, I've found a good use for those: give them to the local hospice or women's shelter.)

I do very little cooking and entertaining any more, but I still buy cookbooks and pots. (I own 3 woks, for heavens sake.) I also have a weakness for kitchen gadgets, have a special drawer for the ones I never use (but can't bring myself to give away).

Like you, I keep a stockpile of greeting cards. That's very useful at times, but I do have a few that I've never found a use for.

I, too, have a luggage addiction, but I'm trying to go cold turkey on that.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Dishes - I'm not even sure how many full sets I have anymore, but I know you could eat at my house for a week and never eat off the same design.

Purses

Funny thing about both these addictions is I seldom carry a purse (at least not when my husband's around - so I have lots of unused purses) and I don't cook so don't make the food to go on the dishes.

I also have a greeting card collection - though I seldom send out cards. Mostly I stock up on cards in Europe as they're so much cheaper there and more appealing, IMO.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I buy things I use a lot in multiples:

Toothpaste
Shampoo
Conditioner
Hairspray
Deoderant
Hair clips
Socks
Undies
Bras
Work out clothes
Chico's black contemporary tanks
Chico's black capri pants
Soft Wear black pants
Soft Wear black jackets
Long Sleeved black silk turtleneck tops
Pajamas
Really comfortable shoes

Neiman Marcus appears to have an exclusive on Re-Nutriv gifts with purchase. While we don't have a Neiman Marcus in Seattle, I am advised by folks in Chicago, Tampa, Portland and Dallas when they are going to have a Re-Nutriv gift with purchase. When the Re-Nutriv gifts are available, I buy stuff from all four places. They often come with a tote bag, with a matching make-up bag. The bags get parceled out.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh My Gosh! Yes!!

I have a major problem with make-up/beauty products… Currently, I live about 4 blocks from (I believe) the largest Sophoria in the world. I also signed up for their frequence plus card and get 10 % discounts in the mail every couple of weeks. I tend to go about every 2 weeks (usually around the time that I get a new coupon) and spend between 150 and 250 euros in one sweep. The worst part is that I continue to buy things that I don’t need. I have approximately 6 ‘daytime’ face lotions ranging from Clinique to Le Prairie, about 3 ‘nighttime’ face lotions, etc. etc. etc. On my last trip on Sunday, I bought 2 new lipsticks (have I used them yet? Nope), and Estee lauder anti-cellulite cream and firming cream (have I used them yet? Nope), 3 new nail polishes (same question – same answer) plus a couple other things, none of which I’ve even taken out of the boxes yet…

I also definitely have a shoe and purse problem as well… I never realized how much I had until I started searching all of my closets and my cave, in an attempt to start shipping my stuff back to the US, before I move back this summer. I have probably 40 luxury name brand purses and 20 non luxury name brand purses, and at least 50 pairs of shoes… All of which I just NEED to bring back to the states…

I need more boxes…
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I like it, why wouldn't I?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:26 am

Does this include chocolate?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
guilty as charged

yes, i do this also!

for me, it's notecards(for what, an emergency birthday?!)

soaps (in case of the apocalypse, come to me--i'll have enough to keep us all clean indefinitely)

and candles (but i'm on self-imposed 'candle restriction' until i start actually burning some of them )

what is that about?!?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have a weakness for black sweaters.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't buy them over & over again, but I do go back & buy multiples of the same item if I really like it.

I can think of several shoe styles I have in every color with some duplicate colors just in case I can't get them any longer.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Shoes
Purses
Black sweaters
Paper (the patterned variety)
Lipstick
Champagne
Silver picture frames

Obsessive compulsive, much?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I buy travel items obsessively. Constantly looking for the new cool travel items, whether it is travel accessories for my computer like a retractable phone cord or a new cool travel alarm clock. I also love tote bags. That reminds me I need a new beach tote for the summer. Headed to the Gulf Coast next weekend and my beach tote from last summer has seen better days!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1P
I tend to buy the same top in multiple colors once I find one that fits me well.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I also do the multiple in clothing-same shirt, pant-different color-that just makes sense. And the shoes I also do which I have justified to myself as OK bc its hard to find good looking shoes in a 5.5 or 6 sometimes-so if I find a good crop for the picking I go for it!!!

I would really be into the kitchen stuff esp since I found a TRUE Williams Sonoma Outlet store last weekend-but thankfully I have enoug stuff in storage right now-I don't want to get a bigger unit to put these new items in it.

But I noticed that I have the purse issue. Like Letiole I usually only carry a purse when the BF is around-to carry his stuff! but I have a zillion of those very small purses-and I keep buying them!!

I feel so much better-not being the *only* one and wished I knew what *it's all about* !

Could you imagine all of us on a shopping spree!!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
if you were to visit chez lala you would see lots of little black shoes (mostly variations on the flats theme), note cards of many different types, pads of expensive note paper from france and italy, many cashmere sweaters in black, books on garden architecture, city planning, social history and travel guides and socks from my travels....

If you were to look at taller half's collection it would be chocolate from around the world, british mysteries, soaps of the citrus variety and notepads and pens from france.

Hey, at least its not furniture and we don't usually ship anything.

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.