Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
I love SAS flat sandals, although they may not be dressy enough for you. But I could run a marathon in them (if I could run a marathon!). In the summer, I teach at a lot of conferences and usually attend a professional conference that involves several days of walking miles in a convention center. My feet are always happy in these sandals.

Can't buy them online, but you wouldn't want to anyway. I wear a longer size in this brand. Some non-SAS shoe stores carry them.
SAS recently redid their website, and I think you can buy them online now. In a way, they had to do that because they've greatly updated their product line (for those who think SAS = Grandma's shoes, check out their site) and none of their stores are set up to carry the new pumps in all 8 colors and a million different size/width combos, etc. etc.

I agree on the SAS sandals. I have 3 pair and those are pretty much the only footwear (other than flip-flops to the pool) that I wear all summer. But some of the SAS casual shoes are equally comfortable.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:31 pm
KCZ

I highly recommend replacing supportless insoles with something like Sofsoles. They make different styles with differing amounts of cushioning, arch support, etc.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Thank you all so much!! I have some shoe shopping to do! I want to get a couple pair and wear them a lot this summer so I have them broken in and to do a test run on them. I love the options though and there are so many I hadn't considered before.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Another vote for

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Look at Hotter Shoes. They have a broad range of shoes from dressy to not. I find them to have a lot of cushion and they stay comfortable during extended wear.

You can start with one of their shoes that are on sale right now. This summer shoe looks as though it would go with both skirts and slacks.

Here's another vote for Hotter! Lot's of styles. True to size. I have never gotten a pair that wasn't comfortable.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I recommend Air and Grace. They have memory foam insoles in all their footwear. I met the company founder Claire 2 years ago at a design show and was so impressed that I bought two pairs of shoes there and then.

I LOVE their Coachella boots so much that I have them in all 3 colours and I have never had to break them in (no rubbing at all). I also get lots of compliments about them.

https://airandgracelondon.com/

They are a UK (London) company but they ship to the US and EU, and offer a 10% discount if you sign up to their newsletter.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
SAS recently redid their website, and I think you can buy them online now. In a way, they had to do that because they've greatly updated their product line (for those who think SAS = Grandma's shoes, check out their site) and none of their stores are set up to carry the new pumps in all 8 colors and a million different size/width combos, etc. etc.

I agree on the SAS sandals. I have 3 pair and those are pretty much the only footwear (other than flip-flops to the pool) that I wear all summer. But some of the SAS casual shoes are equally comfortable.
Thanks for the heads-up on the new website. I checked it out and was surprised to see so many new styles--and the new prices. (I haven't bought a pair in a decade since they last a long time even with heavy use, although I've been in the stores looking for something new.) But I would never order online since they don't offer free shipping and free returns. I've tried on enough different styles to know I can't wear many of them.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
Thanks for the heads-up on the new website. I checked it out and was surprised to see so many new styles--and the new prices. (I haven't bought a pair in a decade since they last a long time even with heavy use, although I've been in the stores looking for something new.) But I would never order online since they don't offer free shipping and free returns. I've tried on enough different styles to know I can't wear many of them.
SAS shoes aren't cheap, but I look at the price/year of wear. When a pair of sandals lasts for 8 years of heavy wear, paying $110 for them up front looks a lot better. I have a pair of their casual walking shoes that have 10+ winters of light wear and they still look almost new.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Since my kitties were your kitties secret santas last year, I felt compelled to contribute to this . In addition to Ecco, I have some Reiker and some Gentle Souls shoes that might work really well for you. Got them both from zappos.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:37 pm

One thing to look for: take out the insole and feel if the midsole has any give. If not, you can try compensating with athletic shoe insoles. Just borrow some from your sneakers, and take them with you when you shoe shop. You will have to size up to use them, though. Another thing that really matters is a perfect fit. Your feet need to be able to spread out naturally. Get a bottle of Shoe Stretch and use it while breaking in new shoes. Also, invest in a shoe stretcher. You actually need less cushion when the fit is right. Many brands do not allow enough height in the toe, that is why your pinkie and tops of toes hurt. Mephisto allows the toe room you need and really can't be beat....cost $$$$ but last forever. Next would be Clarks Artisan line, Merrell, and Ahnu.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by KCZ
I highly recommend replacing supportless insoles with something like Sofsoles. They make different styles with differing amounts of cushioning, arch support, etc.
Which options of insoles have you tried? I've been looking at Birkenstock (my mother likes birki insoles better than her custom-made orthotics) But the So Soles are half the price of birkis. I've also been looking at Spenco.....
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:55 pm
KCZ

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Which options of insoles have you tried? I've been looking at Birkenstock (my mother likes birki insoles better than her custom-made orthotics) But the So Soles are half the price of birkis. I've also been looking at Spenco.....
I have custom orthotics but they aren't all that comfortable. I just broke in a pair of shoes and a pair of boots to take to Europe by removing their insoles and inserting the thin model of Sofsoles, then when they had stretched a bit, I replaced the thin Sofsoles with the athletic models which are thicker, squishier, and have better arch supports than the thin ones.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
I haven't been too hard on my heels, yet, but it seems to be my pinky toe and the top of a couple others that really suffer.
You need a wider size to accommodate your pinkie toes. And you need a taller shoe box to accommodate the thickness of your toes. Most shoes really skimp on this.

I have both needs so you get lots of sympathy from me! I buy shoes online (MarylandSquare.com and Zappos.com most often). When I find a pair that fits great, I buy 5 more pairs.

Try peep-toe or open-toe shoes to gain toe box room. Add sling back and you almost have a sandal but dressier.

Get rubber soles. Some people are allergic to synthetics and wonder why their feet are miserable and sometimes hot.

Try changing between two pair over the day.

If you have to woman a booth as part of the trip, order a gel mat for the floor where you will be standing most.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by profnot
If you have to woman a booth as part of the trip, order a gel mat for the floor where you will be standing most.
I want to do this so badly BUT when I work the trade show for my husband - we're demonstrating something that needs to roll in the booth and he won't let anything in the booth (no padding under the carpet either )

I am still deliberating between Spenco and Sofsoles but also trying to figure out which of my shoes they can work with......
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Look at Alegria brand. I love these. If you have wide feet or high instep these are amazing. I have a nueroma on my left foot, small, wide feet with high insteps. These have become about the only shoes I can wear all day without a problem. I also recommend wearing runner compression socks to help the feet/calf. Really makes a difference.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
I've noticed that if I wear shoes 2-3 days in a row without giving them a day off to air out and dry, I get blisters and weird rubbing even with shoes that are normally fine. So I'd suggest bringing an extra pair so you can alternate, giving each time to breathe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.