Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Heading to the UK, any beauty products to look for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Ladies,

I'll be going to the UK (Cambridge) for work in a few weeks. I was wondering if any of you had any favorite, love it products that can usually only be found there (OK, mine is ice cream but that won't travel well, nor is it exactly a beauty product). Actually any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm very excited about this trip. I joined Flyertalk after I returned from my last one, under the impression that it was going to be the first of many. Well, that turned out not to be true. But I have learned so much over the past year thanks to the forums (especially this one) and am looking forward to putting it all to use. My packing is streamlined even more and my 3-1-1 even makes more sense now . Maybe I'll start a "things I learned from Flyertalk" thread when I get back .
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:10 pm

I have found that most things can be found here cheaper than in the UK (there was actually a news article about it today - the same Boots items are cheaper at Walgreens here in the US than at Boots in the UK). With that having been said, I like Bourjois cosmetics, and they aren't available here in the US, so I would probably target things like that that you can't get here.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I love Nivea a couple of the Nivea deodorants that come in the old-style glass bottle. They used to be available only in certain Asian countries but I found then at Boots earlier this summer!

I also like Soap & Glory's two pot concealer - also found at Boots.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
techgirl, wasn't there a thread in this forum where FTers posted things they liked to get in different countries? I could swear I remembered that & you, lalala, l'etoile & others contributing to it but I can't find it via search.

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Boots Serum 7 is the best. Stock up if you can.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
techgirl, wasn't there a thread in this forum where FTers posted things they liked to get in different countries? I could swear I remembered that & you, lalala, l'etoile & others contributing to it but I can't find it via search.
I know I've read various recommendations but I'm only remembering specific items, not locations. Hmm....

Seems like "French Pharmacies" get all the love - I've been trying to see if there's anything I should look for in Germany when I go in December and am not seeing any blog lists like you easily find for France.

The US/UK exchange rate would dissuade me at the moment, unless there is something I must have that I cannot get in the US.

Have fun!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

I'm not from the US, but I look out for these items whenever i go to UK...

Drugstore Cosmetics - Boots and Superdrug. Do comparisons as one drugstore may have better deals than the other.
Bourjois (I love the Healthy Mix foundations)
Sleek Cosmetics (cheap and good eyeshadow and blushes)
Soap and Glory (UK equivalent of Benefit)
Collection Cosmetics (the concealor is amazing)
Barry M (my bestie loves the nail polish collection)

Departmental Store Brands
Illamasqua
Jo Malone
Penhaligons
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ319
I'm not from the US, but I look out for these items whenever i go to UK...

Drugstore Cosmetics - Boots and Superdrug. Do comparisons as one drugstore may have better deals than the other.
Bourjois (I love the Healthy Mix foundations)
Sleek Cosmetics (cheap and good eyeshadow and blushes)
Soap and Glory (UK equivalent of Benefit)
Collection Cosmetics (the concealor is amazing)
Barry M (my bestie loves the nail polish collection)

Departmental Store Brands
Illamasqua
Jo Malone
Penhaligons
Actually Jo Malone was bought by Lancome, the only one that is a true one is the one on Sloan Steet in London.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Actually Jo Malone was bought by Lancome, the only one that is a true one is the one on Sloan Steet in London.
I buy it in London because it is much cheaper than buying it in my home country. I will mention it anyway regardless of parent company since TS mention the brands to look for in Uk, hence it is worth a mention, whether it is unique to UK or whether it is cheaper.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

obviously some UK brands

might also be more availability of organic id imagine
(for those who buy it - real organic gets expensive)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:44 pm

Just heard that Walgreens is buying a substantial part of Boots. I hope the products remain the same. Target sells Boots. Can't wait till I get to the UK and France!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I love the Vaseline rose and aloe Vera tins of lip balm. Super cheap and useful. I also use the simple brand of make up remover wipes.

I have bought Jo Malone at heathrow, but it's just not the same now that it's part of a big corp.
I like sanex deodorant as well. Have a blast!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I love Penhaligon's Querqus. I think the housekeeping department at Grosvenor House in London is confused by how much I use as they need to restock the shampoos, conditioners, body lotion, soaps each day

Penhaligon's is London perfumers founded in 1870. They have a variety of fragrances. They're not cheap though. They have dif shops in the UK

http://www.penhaligons.com/page/storelocator/

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA
On a trip to England 20 or so years ago, I had a great time spending $20-30 at Boots. I said, "I love Boots!", and my English friend said, rather cynically, "and Boots loves you!" I didn't care; those half a dozen or so items lasted me for years and I enjoyed the novelty of them whenever I used them. Small price to pay for souvenirs of a lovely trip.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. Thanks to the internet so many regional things are now available globally but I knew there had to be some "only available in the UK" type things that I should keep an eye out for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.