Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Comfortable and pretty walking shoes/boots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfortable and pretty walking shoes/boots

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by burberrybrit
Why are you fed up with Aerosoles? Of the 3 pairs I bought this weekend, the aerosoles Playhouse in black suede are the most comfortable. I think Naturalizer has some sleeker looking styles though. My last pair of naturalizer flats that I wore to Brussels KILLED my feet. I couldn't understand why?
I have a pair of black suede Aerosole with a buckle which were $29 and they are very comfortable, but the heel was too wide and loose and even heel grips don't fix the problem entirely.

But since they were comfortable otherwise, I puchased two pairs of flats recently. One pair cuts into my foot all around because the trim has too little 'give'. The other pair needs heel grips, but the finishing on the heel of the shoe (top interior) is poorly constructed and hence the heel grips don't fit properly and rub. I have tried three different brands and types of heel grips now.

It seems to be a case of decent comfort, EXCEPT for the cheap materials used on the trim on both pairs, and because the trim touches the foot, it needs to have give and not have lumps or bumps which rub.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:18 am

I swear by Tod's. Their sneakers, boots, loafers and other shoes with proper soles are comfortable enough to walk around in for hours while sightseeing, and also sophisticated enough to wear out to dinner.

Their driving loafer type shoes are wonderful, but not suitable for doing a lot of walking as they wear out quickly.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 20, 2011 at 8:27 am
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
I have a pair of black suede Aerosole with a buckle which were $29 and they are very comfortable, but the heel was too wide and loose and even heel grips don't fix the problem entirely.

But since they were comfortable otherwise, I puchased two pairs of flats recently. One pair cuts into my foot all around because the trim has too little 'give'. The other pair needs heel grips, but the finishing on the heel of the shoe (top interior) is poorly constructed and hence the heel grips don't fit properly and rub. I have tried three different brands and types of heel grips now.

It seems to be a case of decent comfort, EXCEPT for the cheap materials used on the trim on both pairs, and because the trim touches the foot, it needs to have give and not have lumps or bumps which rub.
Yes, the Aerosoles tends to have very cheap looking heels and trims. I'm trying to break in a pair of Eurosofts that I bought that are really nice. They are leather and were only 54.95 which is great since Soffts (the same company) are usually in the $79-100 range. But the aerosoles feel the best.

Regarding the heel, I think the wider heel contributes to the feeling of stability. I cannot do a thin stiletto heel! so these 3" or less wider heels are a lifesaver. Again, I think Naturalizers look sleeker overall and some Soffts (others have that same clunky heel) but the wider heel helps to distribute your weight better.

Last edited by burberrybrit; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:46 am
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I swear by Tod's. Their sneakers, boots, loafers and other shoes with proper soles are comfortable enough to walk around in for hours while sightseeing, and also sophisticated enough to wear out to dinner.

Their driving loafer type shoes are wonderful, but not suitable for doing a lot of walking as they wear out quickly.
I'm getting the Tod's canvas flats next. They are relatively inexpensive ($45 online) and everyone swears by them. Although, to be honest, I HATE the casual look of a canvas show and would prefer a ballet flat, flats can be hit or miss (as I experienced in Brussels. ). I'm also waiting for a pair of boots by Fitzwell which is supposed to be another comfort brand, but I can't believe I'll get lucky enough to find heels and boots all in a short time frame that feel great.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:50 am

How old are your feet? The natural padding on the soles of your feet wears out as you get older. Mine used to be fine with Naturalizers, Aerosoles, etc. and walking on concrete all day in shoes with the thinnest of soles...before I got heel spurs and started waking practically crippled and having to walk it out. Those brands are what I call comfortable shoes, not comfort shoes. Quality comfort brands like Mephistos, Ecco, Merrell and a few others make all the difference for long days on concrete because they have quality built in orthotics that support, cushion and balance you, even help your posture. But as a younger lady, the trade off of style for function was one I wasn't willing to sacrifice, either.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:42 am

The Autumn 2011 line of GEOX has some very nice ballet flats, but they are only available in the shops at this point; I cannot find any online on German, French, UK or US websites.

And the shops just snicker when I ask for a size 42.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
The Autumn 2011 line of GEOX has some very nice ballet flats, but they are only available in the shops at this point; I cannot find any online on German, French, UK or US websites.

And the shops just snicker when I ask for a size 42.
I feel your pain. I'll check out the Geox, thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
How old are your feet? The natural padding on the soles of your feet wears out as you get older. Mine used to be fine with Naturalizers, Aerosoles, etc. and walking on concrete all day in shoes with the thinnest of soles...before I got heel spurs and started waking practically crippled and having to walk it out. Those brands are what I call comfortable shoes, not comfort shoes. Quality comfort brands like Mephistos, Ecco, Merrell and a few others make all the difference for long days on concrete because they have quality built in orthotics that support, cushion and balance you, even help your posture. But as a younger lady, the trade off of style for function was one I wasn't willing to sacrifice, either.
I'm young but I've had 2 ankle surgeries so my ankle will never be the same. Ugh, I can't imagine my foot/ankle problems will increase as I get older. The shoes I all bought (except one pair that's probably going back) have excellent padding. Those aerosoles feel amazing! The eurosofts have thick padding too and feel good but the leather will have to be broken. I also just found a great pair of beige flats by Earth Origins. Great padding and I feel as if I'm walking on clouds. I'm pretty sure I could sightsee all day in those. ^
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

The padding in those brands does feel plenty cushy, Burberry. The insoles of the Merrells, Mephistos, Eccos, and the true comfort brands do not feel as soft, but instead use a dense memory foam and other higher tech stuff that is more supportive. The engineering that goes into their footbeds make an amazing difference, keeping me able to "keep up and keep on" which I couldn't do if my feet were killing me.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:18 pm

It's funny how one shoe in any particular brand will be amazing for extended walks or standing, and yet others are so totally uncomfortable for any period of time. I have some Cole Haan with Nike Air that are dreamy-- others I can't wear for more than a few minutes. Same with Naturalizers. I get both from the outlet mall near me.

I found that Jessica Simpson boots were about the most comfortable for me, especially the platforms. They look super hot and yet are extremely easy to wear for long periods. I have very high arches and a high instep, so that usually compounds the issue of trying to find a comfy pair of boots. Anyone else have favorite boots?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cali-gal
It's funny how one shoe in any particular brand will be amazing for extended walks or standing, and yet others are so totally uncomfortable for any period of time. I have some Cole Haan with Nike Air that are dreamy-- others I can't wear for more than a few minutes. Same with Naturalizers. I get both from the outlet mall near me.

I found that Jessica Simpson boots were about the most comfortable for me, especially the platforms. They look super hot and yet are extremely easy to wear for long periods. I have very high arches and a high instep, so that usually compounds the issue of trying to find a comfy pair of boots. Anyone else have favorite boots?
Regular boots, snow boots, hiking boots, or dress boots?

For daily wear, either in bad weather or just in chilly weather, I have a few that I love. I have a pair of Rocky men's black military boots that if I'm wearing pants, usually look decent enough and I've found that they're great for my ankle issues. I'll alternate those with my Danner desert sand military boots which are also very comfortable, but are taller, so they have their own perks and issues.

For really cold weather (football games in December/January, hunting), I have a pair of LaCrosse Alpha Iceman or Alpha Ice King boots that are amazing! They have a removable liner. I wore them for the first time to an NFL game in the middle of December last year. I usually complain that my feet always seem to get cold, regardless of what socks or how many layers of socks I wear. During the game, I kept telling Mr. Kipper, "My feet are still warm!"
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Comfy pair of Sorels from when I lived in Utah for extreme winter weather. Keen ankle boots for city walking - I sprayed them with weatherproofing spray and wore them for an extremely wet & cold November trip to Amsterdam last year and my feet stayed warm & dry. And they are comfy! (but Keen sandals don't fit me at all.....) I have somewhat wide feet (esp my toe box) with high arches.

For work, with skirts - Rockport black leather to knee and Softspots brown leather to knee.......

Hiking boots - Vasque leather. Hiking shoes (good for wet weather warm season trips) Lowa goretex hiking shoes.....
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

I bought Arcopedico Felly shoes in the last month and love them. They are terrific for cobblestone walking (Europe) and have a bit of a girly look to them.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I have high arches!!! My favorite boots have been from Kenneth Cole for over a decade. I have a pair now called Landbridge, very comfortable for walking. No break-in period. I may have bragged on them before.

I don't get what is comfortable to other women about "flats" but maybe it's because my feet are not shaped the same. Someone mentioned flats that don't seem to have any padding...that is what I always notice. Maybe I am just too used to a blocky heel.

Originally Posted by cali-gal
I have very high arches and a high instep, so that usually compounds the issue of trying to find a comfy pair of boots. Anyone else have favorite boots?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:25 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
For arch support, I go for Arcopedico New Sec and Mephisto Elka. Depending on the weather, sometimes I bring along these shoes just to wear around the room as I find that wearing them helps "massage" my feet in all the right places after a long day. My aunt who is used to wearing heels cannot wear anything that has a heel lower than 1", loves her Mephisto Elkas; they are like flats to her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.