Community
Wiki Posts
Search

skirts for sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Columbia sportswear made an awesome skort a few years ago - I have a bunch - simple a line, some sort of synthetic fabric that dries quickly and no extraneous pockets that bulk you up. I am looking for a replacement as my stone colored on is starting to show how much I wear it. I wear it to work in the summer, the black one I take on business trips (summer/spring) and fabulous for Hawaii trips, especially when you are hitting the store to get supplies before a day at the beach.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:29 pm

Cool Macabi Skirt

I have two Macabi Skirts & take one or both on every trip. According to the website, it's an "outdoor travel skirt that uses clips and snaps to adjust to different circumstances."

Last edited by MichelleNC; Mar 7, 2011 at 8:09 am Reason: inserted "take"
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by skipaway
I was so surprised to read this glowing report of one of the dowdiest looking garments I've ever seen! I'd only seen it in the catalog mind you. So today I'm walking past a J.Jill store and I think, "I wonder what that FTer saw in that skirt--I think I'll go in and have a look". Well, since it wasn't on sale and I get almost daily emails with discounts, I didn't buy the long one. I did get the pencil skirt and a jacket, and plan to order the long skirt and pants when next %off deal comes. The picture does not do it justice. Nice drape and fluid movement when walking--really nice. You learn something every day. ^
I never would have gotten into J. Jill just by seeing it online or at the store. You are right, their pictures do not do their clothing justice. I have a friend I travel with a couple of times a year and she owns quite a few pieces and always looked nice. I use the J. Jill pieces as the foundation of my outfit and jazz it up with different blouses, scarves, jewelry, jackets and so on.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:06 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by MichelleNC
I have two Macabi Skirts & one or both on every trip. According to the website, it's an "outdoor travel skirt that uses clips and snaps to adjust to different circumstances."
Thanks for the link! I love the self draining pockets I converted an old khaki skirt to do something similar but this is so much better

I also used to do traditional sarong tying (the way the men wear it as harem-style pants/shorts) but found that outside of SE Asia, people give you strange looks, plus it also required privacy for the untying and retying to transform from skirt to pant to skirt.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
I have two Macabi Skirts & one or both on every trip. According to the website, it's an "outdoor travel skirt that uses clips and snaps to adjust to different circumstances."
I am quite intrigued by this skirt. I especially love the quick drying nature of the fabric, wrinkle resistance, and abundance of pockets. However, I wonder if it is as versatile as it seems? Does it look silly in its alternate configurations (pants, shorts, etc.)? I am no fashionista, but I also don't want to look out of place either.

Thanks for the link. I love the idea of it. If I decide to buy it and not use the clips to clip up the skirt, are the clips removable (so you don't have that strap draping across your front when it's not in use)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:04 pm

For those of you looking for a less expensive long skirt, I have 2 of these long skirts from Target (one in charcoal, the other in a stripe pattern). They're great for travel (although probably better for warmer weather than cold). I took them to Greece and NY last year and thought they were very versatile.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lexi
I am quite intrigued by this skirt. I especially love the quick drying nature of the fabric, wrinkle resistance, and abundance of pockets. However, I wonder if it is as versatile as it seems? Does it look silly in its alternate configurations (pants, shorts, etc.)? I am no fashionista, but I also don't want to look out of place either.

Thanks for the link. I love the idea of it. If I decide to buy it and not use the clips to clip up the skirt, are the clips removable (so you don't have that strap draping across your front when it's not in use)?

Thanks!
Personally, I prefer the skirt down, but in a pinch I have snapped it up to be a short skirt -- it kinda looks like a bubble skirt. The shorts are the silliest looking configuration, but I could see that it would be handy in certain situations.

The clip is removable, but there are all kinds of loops, so you could just leave it clipped on to those so that it doesn't flop around.

I'm not sure if it's clear from the website, but the whole skirt folds up into one of the pockets and is about the size of a tennis ball.

The pockets are REALLY deep and one or both (can't remember) has an smaller internal zippered pocket, so you could keep money & credit cards in it.

I had the first incarnation and loved it so much that I ordered one of the newer ones (that is now available). I am itching to get a new color this year.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Personally, I prefer the skirt down, but in a pinch I have snapped it up to be a short skirt -- it kinda looks like a bubble skirt. The shorts are the silliest looking configuration, but I could see that it would be handy in certain situations.

The clip is removable, but there are all kinds of loops, so you could just leave it clipped on to those so that it doesn't flop around.

I'm not sure if it's clear from the website, but the whole skirt folds up into one of the pockets and is about the size of a tennis ball.

The pockets are REALLY deep and one or both (can't remember) has an smaller internal zippered pocket, so you could keep money & credit cards in it.

I had the first incarnation and loved it so much that I ordered one of the newer ones (that is now available). I am itching to get a new color this year.
Thanks. I figured its best use would be as a traditional skirt and to take advantage of its many pockets. It seems great for that! I didn't think the shorts configuration would look very attractive..... I appreciate your insight.

As an FYI, for anyone else considering the skirt - I emailed the company and asked them when they'd be getting more in stock (many of their colors have limited sizes available) and they said they'd be getting more in stock in a few months. I requested to be sent an email when they get more in and she said they'd be happy to do so. Also, I asked about whether or not the strap on the black skirt was black and the customer service representative indicated it was not, but if I specified I prefer a black strap, I can mention it in the comments box when checking out online and she'd be happy to swap it out on the order.

So, all in all, I was very happy with the responsiveness of the company. I won't order one until they get more sizes back in stock, but they seemed very customer oriented.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: UA
I've never seen the Macabi skirt before, but it looks really interesting. I might have to save up to get one.

Curious about the sizing. I usually wear a US size 10, but will often buy things marked large because those seem to fit better. The Large skirt says it's 14 - 16, so that seems like it would be extraordinarily huge. Have any of you who bought them had to adjust your normal purchase size for a better fit?

Last edited by Owlchick; Mar 9, 2011 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Skorts

Originally Posted by lalala
Columbia sportswear made an awesome skort a few years ago - I have a bunch - simple a line, some sort of synthetic fabric that dries quickly and no extraneous pockets that bulk you up. I am looking for a replacement as my stone colored on is starting to show how much I wear it. I wear it to work in the summer, the black one I take on business trips (summer/spring) and fabulous for Hawaii trips, especially when you are hitting the store to get supplies before a day at the beach.
Sahalie has a cute longer skort
http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?item...roductID=14798
and one shorter style---nicely made
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:23 pm

No offense, but if the Macabi skirt doesn't look that great on a model, think what it will look like if you are shorter...fatter...older. Don't like to wear clothes for travel I would not wear for similar activities here.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Owlchick
Curious about the sizing. I usually wear a US size 10, but will often buy things marked large because those seem to fit better. The Large skirt says it's 14 - 16, so that seems like it would be extraordinarily huge. Have any of you who bought them had to adjust your normal purchase size for a better fit?
I have found the skirts to be very generous and very elastic-y around the waist. I usually wear a small in clothing, but sometimes a medium -- so I'm sortof in between sizes -- and I got a small Macabi and it was perfect. Still generous, but not overly so.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
No offense, but if the Macabi skirt doesn't look that great on a model, think what it will look like if you are shorter...fatter...older. Don't like to wear clothes for travel I would not wear for similar activities here.
ITA: the Macabi skirt isn't going to win any fashion competition! But it's cool, comfy, and easy to travel in.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:37 pm

Most have caught on that white sneakers aren't the way to go unless you just want to stand out as a tourist. By the same token, special travel garb can look pretty silly if you are not really on, for instance, safari.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
For those asking about skirts/dresses and the TSA, I travel in skirts/dresses all the time. I have NEVER been asked to change out of my skirt/dress (whether pencil type or full) and I've not had any search that seemed any different than one I would receive in pants or jeans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.