Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need A Vacation Suggestion (or Twenty)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need A Vacation Suggestion (or Twenty)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 pm

[QUOTE=travelmad478;15881377]Marrakesh. Weather good, safety good, super interesting, spa days possible, day trips for hiking to the Atlas Mountains (Google Le Toubkal to see a good place), food stupendous. If you are into shopping, the souks are fabulous, and if not, just spend your days in places like Majorelle Gardens and you will get relaxation in spades. I think BA flies there from Gatwick (just re-started or will just re-start this route, IIRC).

People have different experiences of Marrakesh. In my family, there have been good experiences like yours, but that was a tour group of middleagers. My younger couple with gorgeous little wife had sexual harassment walking right beside her formidable looking husband. Defiant open groping, a knife was pulled on him in broad daylight. This is a guy who travelled Asia and India in hostels and cheap hotels for a year without trouble and he thinks Marrakesh is the worst place he has ever been. The harassment happened daily while walking from their upscale riad to the Medina or going to lesser, more local places on side streets. Once in the main tourist area, there was no trouble. I conclude Marrakesh would have limitations for a young single woman alone.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.
Thumbs up Japan !

Our son lived in NYC for 6 years, so we would fly AA JFK to NRT a couple of times a year, having a few days in Tokyo getting over the jet lag.

You can easily spend 10 days in Tokyo - doing a few day trips or you could split the time over two cities. Japan is incredibly, clean and safe, has excellent train service, food is good and what a diverse range, several Hiltons in all the cities. Spas and japanese bath houses !! One down side is that Wine is expensive !! but you could try the Sake and the time you want to travel is the start of cherry blossom time.

We still go to Japan every year, and we love our time there. Here are a few web sites that might help.

http://www.japantravelinfo.com/top/index.php

http://www.japan-guide.com/

http://gojapan.about.com/

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/index.html

Ann
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:40 pm

Japan +1

If going to Japan, you could head for the Kansai side of Kyoto and Osaka. Mmmm Kobe beef in Kobe!

Singapore and day trips to nearby countries would also be fun. Plus side is the warmth!

Another Asia suggestion would be Korea- Seoul and Busan. Korean pop culture is influencing a lot of its Asian neighbors and they're considered to be a very "beauty hip" country. Things are usually less expensive than they would be in Japan or even Singapore. Has public transport and some good international eats as well. Spas are a bit different but plenty of them http://florkim.blogspot.com/2008/12/...uth-korea.html
UA's offering a sale to ICN so AA might match, if you find you'd rather add miles than use them.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Places I have really enjoyed on my own include:

Italy (both Rome and Florence are lovely cities, I felt very safe in both, so much to do, all the historic malarky, museums, great food and drink) and

Madrid (again felt very safe, very easy to navigate around etc)

Paris - yes, it is the city for lovers, but surprisingly not at all bad on your own! Might be a bit cool in March for you tho.

Other places that I haven't been solo, but would have no hesitation in doing so, include the islands of the Mediterranean (Cyprus and Corfu especially), most of mainland Europe (Belgium is somewhere people rarely pick as a desination but is lovely!) and Ireland.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:42 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Quepos, Costa Rica
Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Florence, and/or Siena, Italy
Barcelona, with a side trip to San Sebastien
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Lisbon. Don't need a car, non-touristy, full of character, wine, local food, cabs pretty cheap, temps 50 to 60 in late March, spa and glitzy shipping, but also out walking side streets you'll find tiny local shops and little bitty cafes and grocers. Stay in the Chiado area for the most at your doorstep. Not scary late at night, it is a late night culture. Can easily take a local train to cozy Cacais for small town with beautiful sea front and a pedestrian street lined with cafes and good little shops, walkable. It is so easy get to, you can go for no more than lunch. For hiking in the mountains and castles, likewise Sintra is easy to get to by train. Both are within about 20 miles. There's a lot more in Portugal if you are interested. Last but best, the Portugeuse people are kind, there's no antipathy to Americans or terrorist threat, and it is more affordable than other European capitals.
I second the Lisboa suggestion - a very safe, very beautiful and very reasonable place to go. Fabulous food, lots to see, great public transport and generally gorgeous
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I would suggest Hong Kong, in March and not April, when it starts to get very muggy. The weather in March is usually excellent.

Singapore is lovely but horribly humid.

Audrey
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, there are a lot of great ideas and I am going to mull them over.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Rome and Malta?

How about 5 days just roaming casually around Rome and then head for Malta (or Vice Versa)for 5 days. AA to Rome and Air Malta to Malta. I spent 10 days in Malta and thoroughly enjoyed all of the sightseeing, roaming around walking, and taking the excellent, if funky, public transportation bus system. Most of the important and charming cities are within 20 minutes to 45 minutes ride. When a cruise ship comes in, it is crowded in the historical center of Valletta, so you can make yourself scare and go to the countryside. I rented an apartment in the old part of Valletta with a view of the Grand Harbor. It was so stunning to wake up every morning with that view. There is a movement to restore old stone homes into boutique hotels---but not costly by euro standards The naval history is fascinating. The Knights Hospitalers and Knights Templar add to the mystique. Plus it was so interesting to see the underground basement air raid shelters tat were bombed during WWII. There are lovely self-guided tours with ear phones and alsoconducted. Food isn't as good as in Rome, but is fine.
I went to the Island of Gozo on an easy ferry ride and visited old stone villages where artists live. I love to spend time in Rome without a big checkoff list---just wander and eat. I like Trastevere, as it's pedestrian at night and a good place for a woman to eat on her own. Also, I often stay at the Francesca Romana convent in Trastevere. I know you ruled out Mexico,but have you been to San Miguel de Allende in Guanajuato? AA flies from DFW to BJX (Leon) and thin a shuttle can take you the hour to San Miguel. It is a great place to be a woman and make friends, or just keep to yourself. Beautiful hotel and home rentals, There is a new Rosewood Hotel that is out of this worlk. I live in San Miguel and am very happy there.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:50 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Buster
I like Singapore - great food, public transport, shopping. Another suggestion - what about Australia? You could easily do Melbourne & Sydney in 7-10 days.
The new DFW-Sydney route on Qantas might be a good option to get you down under -- I managed to book a business class seat using miles for Thanksgiving which is almost unheard of. There are still milage seats available.

I lived in Sydney for a number of years and that might just meet every last one of your needs -- city, public transit, Hilton, beaches, spas, fabulous wines, lovely weather.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
My suggestions based on cities where I've quite enjoyed my vacation time (and it sounds like you spend yours much like I spend mine):

* Barcelona
* Madrid
* Paris
* Buenos Aires
* Sydney
* Melbourne
* Singapore
* Hong Kong

Based on your stated desires/criteria, my top recommendation would be Sydney/Melbourne.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Lisbon and Sintra, another vote for these. Very beautiful area. Easy public transport on trains, trams, ferries, all over the area.

No one has yet mentioned it but Goreme, Turkey is another choice. The national park with many hiking trails is within walking distance of Goreme town, where you can stay inexpensively in a real cave! I went in late March/early April, so I even had some beautiful snow days. It is not too cold, and the mountains and caves and valleys are unbelievable in the snow.

An advantage of Sydney, voted on by some, is that your transport pass covers more than just ferries, trains, etc. in the Sydney city area. You can go all the way up to the Blue Mountains on the train and hike in the national park there, using the same pass.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
About an hour outside of Tokyo Japan... Go to the onsen every day. When you want to shop ride the train in an hour and have at it, then go back and hit the onsen again. Next time I go back to Japan I will be going to onsen everyday. You will need to learn a few phrases b/c if you go to a good one, there will NOT be much English spoken.

That said, you cant be um shy... But I will never forget lounging for 6 hours in 3 inches of hot springs water in an outdoor onsen while taking in all the trees and landscaping around me...most relaxing thing on earth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.