Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet adds 11 new U.S. and international destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...5056653&EDATE=

CALGARY, July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - WestJet today unveiled its largest-ever seasonal non-stop flight schedule, featuring a record eight new international destinations and three additional U.S. destinations for the winter of 2009-2010.

By late fall 2009, WestJet will operate service to 66 cities in more than 10 countries, as compared to 51 cities in eight countries one year ago.

Beginning in late fall, WestJet and WestJet Vacations will launch seasonal non-stop service to Varadero, Holguin and Cayo Coco, Cuba; Ixtapa and Cozumel, Mexico; St. Martin; Providenciales, Turks and Caicos; Freeport, Bahamas; Lihue (Kauai), Hawaii; Miami, Florida; and Atlantic City, New Jersey.

"This is another first for WestJet," said Chris Avery, WestJet's Vice-President, Revenue and Planning. "We have never announced as many destinations at one time, which demonstrates that we continue to deliver on our strategic plan by expanding our network and providing our world-class guest experience each and every day. We remain confident that in spite of the current economic conditions, WestJet's unsurpassed value and our status as Canada's preferred airline will see old friends and new guests alike flying with us this winter."

This new schedule also includes new, year-round service between Edmonton and Yellowknife and between Calgary and San Diego. WestJet launched both routes on a seasonal basis in May.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:37 am

Atlantic City? Didn't see that one coming.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:31 pm

great to see some seasonal routes become year round and really nice to see all these new destinations. Now lets hope word gets out and these planes are full
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by superdawg
Atlantic City? Didn't see that one coming.
Yeah, it is nice to see to bring more capacity growth in US. I didn't realize know where WS is inauguration new seasonal nonstop to MIA. Do you know where it coming from? Could you please put the specific schedules for me. It must to be more tougher competitive with AC, TS from FLL.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by N830MH
Could you please put the specific schedules for me.
The link in the OP has some fairly detailed schedule information.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:33 pm

Ditto on the Atlantic City announcement. I can see that destination being dropped off after a couple of weeks of empty planes.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by roadtripman
Ditto on the Atlantic City announcement. I can see that destination being dropped off after a couple of weeks of empty planes.
Especially without any connections in Toronto for the return flight.

I am still very sceptical about the huge increase in flights to Mexico after the swine flu outbreak last spring.
Do you know where it coming from? Could you please put the specific schedules for me.
It is a daily flight to/from Toronto, YYZ 11:00 MIA 14:12 MIA 15:00 YYZ 17:51. They also have two daily flights between YYZ and FLL.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Jul 8, 2009 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Atlantic City may be a backdoor attempt to access the Philly market. But I have to think there are more lucrative markets in the northeast, such as say Boston or Washington.

My lament with West Jet is that I wish they realize there is more to the U.S. than Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Vegas and New Jersey. Or do they not care if they surrender the rest of that market to Air Canada or Porter?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by closecover
Atlantic City may be a backdoor attempt to access the Philly market. But I have to think there are more lucrative markets in the northeast, such as say Boston or Washington.

My lament with West Jet is that I wish they realize there is more to the U.S. than Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Vegas and New Jersey. Or do they not care if they surrender the rest of that market to Air Canada or Porter?
One word: Chicago
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Especially without any connections in Toronto for the return flight.

I am still very sceptical about the huge increase in flights to Mexico after the swine flu outbreak last spring.

It is a daily flight to/from Toronto, YYZ 11:00 MIA 14:12 MIA 15:00 YYZ 17:51. They also have two daily flights between YYZ and FLL.
What about the passengers will able go to pre-clear bound for USA flight? This is where are going flying out of YYZ-MIA to get clearance at Customs/Immigrations in YYZ. So whether if the passengers will not able cleared at Customs im MIA.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Another option to Cuba ^ Excellent.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:16 pm

What about the passengers will able go to pre-clear bound for USA flight? This is where are going flying out of YYZ-MIA to get clearance at Customs/Immigrations in YYZ. So whether if the passengers will not able cleared at Customs im MIA.
They will clear customs in YYZ, not MIA.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will clear customs in YYZ, not MIA.
Thanks. Hope WS will be very successful routes for YYZ-MIA nonstop and if they will have to be extendable to becoming year-round. Things to do for WS will be extremely performance very well. It will have more tougher competitive with AC, AA are already existing service. WS will have take the advantage where the passengers will catch the cruise connection in MIA. Do you know which the concourse where WS will be there in MIA?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Atlantic City. Uh yeah, that must be the "low hanging fruit" WS boasted was still around waiting to be picked.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Atlantic City. Uh yeah, that must be the "low hanging fruit" WS boasted was still around waiting to be picked.
You'll let us know when AC starts making money again, won't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.