Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancelled 1st leg. Drove to 2nd leg. Now what

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Club Carlson Concierge, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond

Had a flight 2/22/17. London, ontario (3pm), to Toronto(6pm), to Calgary, AB. Already checked in both flights and seats chosen. Return was Calgary to London direct on the 27th

On way to London airport, we noticed that this leg was cancelled and they rescheduled us for same flight the next day. This did not work for us, as we needed to be there that day, so we decided to drive to Toronto and catch that leg . Flight was fine, although we now had to switch the return to Toronto since our vehicle was now there. No issues.

Problem i need help with is this. I paid extra for the ticket to fly from London ( 1 hr drive). I now had extra costs to drive to Toronto (3 hours) , and pay extra parking charges and drive back.

Should i be refunded the London to toronto portion? Flight was cancelled due to fog at Toronto which was unable to send the plane to London.

2 passengers, 1 using the 99$ travel Mastercard voucher

Thanks for suggestions
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by jbvideo
Had a flight 2/22/17. London, ontario (3pm), to Toronto(6pm), to Calgary, AB. Already checked in both flights and seats chosen. Return was Calgary to London direct on the 27th

On way to London airport, we noticed that this leg was cancelled and they rescheduled us for same flight the next day. This did not work for us, as we needed to be there that day, so we decided to drive to Toronto and catch that leg . Flight was fine, although we now had to switch the return to Toronto since our vehicle was now there. No issues.

Problem i need help with is this. I paid extra for the ticket to fly from London ( 1 hr drive). I now had extra costs to drive to Toronto (3 hours) , and pay extra parking charges and drive back.

Should i be refunded the London to toronto portion? Flight was cancelled due to fog at Toronto which was unable to send the plane to London.

2 passengers, 1 using the 99$ travel Mastercard voucher

Thanks for suggestions
What you should be refunded, and what you will be refunded, are different stories. I would write westjet a very detailed email, outlining all of your costs. They will likely send you a courtesy WS Dollars credit in the $50-100 per person range.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
They Usually offer up to $150 WS dollars right out of the box, that's the max a res agent can do on a good will. There are ways to get more, but it can become a war of attrition. If your prepared and patient, you can actually get them to cut you a check for your out of pockets.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Check the trip delay/cancellation terms on you RBC WS credit card. You should be able to claim mileage and parking through that coverage if it's the same as most other cc flight coverage. WS should cover the fare difference.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
While I haven't had this happen to me with WS my course of action is:
- Check my CC/Travel insurance - is there something there? (For example I know my insurance covers me for costs in case of weather related delays and subsequent costs...)
- As has been said, write WS with the details and why you think they should owe you. Usually they are covered in their terms and conditions when it comes to weather, but as has been said they want to keep brand loyalty
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club Carlson Concierge, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond
thanks for suggestions. I will check with airline and cc and report back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.