Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation LGW-YQR: WJ$ vs CAD??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Compensation LGW-YQR: WJ$ vs CAD??

No idea if anyone will have a clue about this.

we were delayed 3.5 hours from LGW to regina on Christmas Eve. I filled out a compensation form under the EU rules. It gave me the option to be reimbursed in Canadian dollars, American dollars, or west jet dollars. I'm certain that I read somewhere they'd provide 300% the value of the compensation if we chose west jet dollars, so we did. I've heard nothing back yet.

i went back online today to the same submission form and found nothing at all about receiving 300% the value if westjet dollars were selected.

long shot but does anyone know- has the policy changed in 2017 or did I somehow dream this 300%??
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I am interested in this as well as I will be claiming a hotel stay due to a flight change.
I will be submitting receipts next month after travelling and was told I would be reimbursed by check or Westjet $ (the person I spoke to said I could be offered more if I took Westjet $). I'm wondering how much more. I'm also assuming that the 5 year expiry would apply and that I could use the WJ$ to book future travel for both myself and my husband.
anyone have experience with this?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:42 am

This was discussed at length in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...gw-delays.html

I do remember something about 300% more if you ask for Westjet Rewards dollars but I don't have time to go searching the whole thread.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
I am interested in this as well as I will be claiming a hotel stay due to a flight change.
I will be submitting receipts next month after travelling and was told I would be reimbursed by check or Westjet $ (the person I spoke to said I could be offered more if I took Westjet $). I'm wondering how much more. I'm also assuming that the 5 year expiry would apply and that I could use the WJ$ to book future travel for both myself and my husband.
anyone have experience with this?
You need to make sure it's Westjet rewards dollars and not just credits put into your name. Westjet Rewards Dollars expire 5 years after getting them. If they just give flight credits you need to book a flight within 1 year.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Normally credits would be offered in WestJet Travel Bank dollars, they can be used for any part of the payment (base fare, taxes, fees) but are only valid for one year. WestJet Rewards Dollars would be valid for five years but can only be used for base fare payment, taxes and fees would have to be paid in addition.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:56 am

On the other hand, travel bank credits can not be used for most sales, whereas WestJet$ can be used.

And to answer the he husband question: Westjet$ can be used for any traveller, the passenger does not have to be the account holder.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:11 pm

Reading through the thread was helpful.
It seems what is typically offered are travel bank dollars to be used within a year (although travel could occur after that).
I am only familiar with WJ$ which are used like cash and can be used during sales.
Tell me more about the pros, and especially cons, of travel bank credits....
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Tell me more about the pros, and especially cons, of travel bank credits....
WestJet dollars - five years, base fare only.
Travel bank - one year, fare+taxes+fees.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:26 pm

Can a travel bank credit be used along with a companion voucher the way WJ dollars can?
Can the tb credit be used on any Westjet flight (I know not partner airlines) even during seat sales?
Thanks for all your help....
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:59 pm

Here is the FAQ on Travel Bank credits: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...travel-credits
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Here is the FAQ on Travel Bank credits: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...travel-credits
This is helpful but doesn't answer whether the travel bank can be used along with the companion voucher or whether it can be used for flight sales.
anyone have experience with this...?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:19 pm

This is helpful but doesn't answer whether the travel bank can be used along with the companion voucher or whether it can be used for flight sales.
At the moment Travel Bank dollars can't be used for on-line bookings with a companion voucher, but checking our internal intranet it does look as though they can be used with the voucher when making a booking through the Contact (Call) Centre, I would call an agent to verify that is the case. In the normal booking flow (not Rewards or promo offers) flights that are labelled as "sale" can be purchased like any other flight in that booking flow with Travel Bank dollars.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:23 pm

Thanks!!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:44 pm

It depends on the sale. If the sale has a coupon code (or whatever they are called), the use of travel bank credits is usually excluded in the small print. And, in my experience, these prohibitions are enforced.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
When I was on an EC 261 applicable flight the offers in Canadian Dollars and WestJet Dollars were exactly the same and the WestJet dollars expired in a year. I remember reading this and wondering why anyone would even contemplate that.

However when they obliterated a suitcase to the point I took it home in a garbage bag I was offered $120 cash or $360 in travel credit. $120 is about what the suitcase was worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.