Wiki Posts
Search

US Connections through YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

US Connections through YYZ

Hello All,

I will be flying YOW-YYZ-LGA. Will my bags be ticketed through to LGA? Or will I need to pick up my luggage once I arrive in YYZ and re check in then proceed to customs?

How long can I expect the entire process to take (non-nexus)

THanks
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I fly from YYZ so I have no experience with connecting through it - someone else will have to speak to that. But I do believe you will have to claim your bag before proceeding through US customs, then re-check it.

The customs lineups vary. Heaviest lines are early morning and late afternoon, with Mondays and Fridays probably being the busiest. I have Nexus, so it's only a guess on my part, but the lines look like they might be 20 - 30 minutes at normal times, and 45 - 60 minutes (?) during peak periods.

Sorry for what's really a non-answer, but I hope it helps.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:07 am

are both legs with westjet?

apparently now since March there is a new process where your bags are held in a room rather than claiming and re-checking. You are directed to a waiting room and wait for a number indicating your bags were processed and for you to see a CBP agent? I am not sure as YYZ is home, but also horrible at US connections.

It may be best to check the Non-US americas thread with the new YYZ transborder thread.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
I know flying AC they have a holding room where you have to wait until your bag clears. Last time I connected US bound with WS I had to recheck my bag.

FWIW, I don't think there is time savings either way.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:41 am

Sorry I may not be much help either, BUT I was under the impression that your bag will be ticketed AND found in your final destination (keep in mind, ticketing and collecting are normally two different things: your bag tag will say YYZ LGA) and all that is needed to be done in YYZ is to verify when US Border Patrol shows you a picture of your bag and asks if that is your bag. I think that the bag is physically transferred for you and the picture is the customs verification piece. Again, don't quote me on this. Best to ask the Westjet agents in YOW when you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.