Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Please stop landing YYC-JFK at 5:30PM (rush hour)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

OK Westjet, I know getting a slot in the Greater New York Area is tough, and for some stupid stupid reason you lost your LGA slot, and kept your JFK slot.

But listen - you leave Calgary YYC at 10AM daily and land at 5:30PM. Yes, rush hour. I know because I am on this frequently. No one is going into work that morning in YYC, so why not just leave a little earlier? Can't get a better slot? do something about it.

Landing at 5:30PM At JFK generally means 2.5 hours to get into the city from the time you land. No one likes sitting in traffic that long. Please get back LGA, EWR or any other slot. Sure, I can take the train, but in the summer I take my golf clubs. It is no fun hauling clubs and a travel case, plus a suit case around the subway system. Please, get a better landing slot in New York, and ideally get the hell out of JFK.

Rant Over.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:19 pm

After many years of avoiding JFK, I ended up there recently thanks to IRROPS and protection on other carriers.

JFK was much worse than I had remembered. They don't even have airside shuttles between the terminals! What the Phugg?

It's LGA or EWR for me, thank you.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Doesn't Westjet still have multiple daily YYZ-LGA frequencies? They can't fly YYC-LGA because of the range restrictions on LGA, so it's EWR or JFK. AC already does YYC-EWR, so it makes sense why they wouldn't want to go head to head with AC/UA*A there...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Airline scheduling is not as trivial as some people seem to think it is. One flight cannot be taken in isolation. Move that flight earlier, and some other flight probably has to be removed from the schedule. I don't think you have enough influence to have them do that just so you can go golfing.

Plus, for anyone continuing to Europe, JFK is a far better option than EWR or LGA.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
OK Westjet, I know getting a slot in the Greater New York Area is tough, and for some stupid stupid reason you lost your LGA slot, and kept your JFK slot.

But listen - you leave Calgary YYC at 10AM daily and land at 5:30PM. Yes, rush hour. I know because I am on this frequently. No one is going into work that morning in YYC, so why not just leave a little earlier? Can't get a better slot? do something about it.

Landing at 5:30PM At JFK generally means 2.5 hours to get into the city from the time you land. No one likes sitting in traffic that long. Please get back LGA, EWR or any other slot. Sure, I can take the train, but in the summer I take my golf clubs. It is no fun hauling clubs and a travel case, plus a suit case around the subway system. Please, get a better landing slot in New York, and ideally get the hell out of JFK.

Rant Over.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh

Rant Over.
It's at 10am for the same reason virtually the entire morning trans-border bank departs around that time.

Being the expert that you are, you should be able to figure out why.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:53 pm
Suspended

If it takes you 2.5 hours, consider eating dinner at JFK and leaving later.

Or take the subway, which is not slower.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I realize I am being completely selfish in this rant, but its a very annoying time to land in JFK.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:53 pm
Suspended

I know. I wish some flights were timed more conveniently for my needs.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:17 pm

YYC-JFK is going to be a year-round-service, BTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.