Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase one way in local currency

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Purchase one way in local currency

So I'm trying to book a flight from the US back to Canada, but it's only giving me prices in USD. Given that I'm simply trying to return home on a Canadian carrier I'd prefer to keep everything in the local currency. Is there any way to force it to give me prices in CAD?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by xero9
Is there any way to force it to give me prices in CAD?
You would have to book somewhere other than westjet.com. As far as I've ever seen, WestJet's site will only price based on the flight origin.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:38 pm

If you have WestJet Dollars to redeem, they will charge you the rest in CAD.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You would have to book somewhere other than westjet.com. As far as I've ever seen, WestJet's site will only price based on the flight origin.
Correct and this is how WJ has always priced its one-way inbound flights to Canada.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:10 pm

if you aren't using Westjet dollars you can book it on expedia.ca and it will price in Canadian dollars.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the WJ$ tip! I have a whole whopping $11 in my account so this is the perfect reason to use it!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Thanks for the WJ$ tip! I have a whole whopping $11 in my account so this is the perfect reason to use it!
Uh....you may want to check out this thread: Minimum redemption
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:05 pm

If you have a WestJet credit card, that used to work. It is unclear if that is still the case, or if that has been enhanced away.

Otherwise, the minimum redemption amount is 50 as of recently.

Last edited by sokolov; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:41 pm

WS charges in USD for flights departing Mexico.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So I'm trying to book a flight from the US back to Canada, but it's only giving me prices in USD. Given that I'm simply trying to return home on a Canadian carrier I'd prefer to keep everything in the local currency. Is there any way to force it to give me prices in CAD?
I have had the same problem in reverse, trying to book a one way from the US to Canada on a US airline. Go to the airline's web site, get the quote in US$, and try to pay with my US$ Visa card (issued by a Canadian bank) so I don't get hosed on the exchange rate. As soon as I enter my address it flips me over to the Canadian web site and quotes in C$ .

Apparently in this country it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender, religion, race, or sexual orientation, but it is perfectly acceptable to discriminate on the basis of place of residence.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I have had the same problem in reverse, trying to book a one way from the US to Canada on a US airline. Go to the airline's web site, get the quote in US$, and try to pay with my US$ Visa card (issued by a Canadian bank) so I don't get hosed on the exchange rate. As soon as I enter my address it flips me over to the Canadian web site and quotes in C$
It depends on the airline. For example, United charges based on your credit card billing address, but Delta charges based on your flight origin. I believe there are also airlines that charge simply based on which site you book from.

The easiest way around all of this is to use an OTA. Go to expedia.com to pay in US$ and go to expedia.ca to pay in CA$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.