Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancellation Rules for Canadian Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Wondering if anyone has info on what the actual airline rules are for when the airline cancels a flight. Actually just happened twice delaying the arrival by more than 24 hours.
Only thing WJ is willing to compensate is a 25% off future flight( why choose them again?) and $100 credit off the booked flight.
I believe in the US they have to issue flight vouchers / credits due to cancelled flight when due to their issues.
Can anyone clear this up? Strangely no info on the WJ page.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:59 pm

Here is what they offer for flights to and from the U.S.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...s/delays.shtml

Within Canada I believe they have to give you a refund on the unused portion of your ticket if you choose not to travel. Other than that I don't think they offer anything. It's doubtful you will get more than what they have already offered you.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:50 pm

Always start with the terms of the contract i have entered into. I understand this is a domestic flight. So Rule 4 of WestJet's domestic tariff is what you need to read.

http://www.westjet.com/pdf/localDomesticTariff.pdf

As it is not an international ticket, the Montreal Convention does not apply.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

Could you clarify what flights you are talking about?

24 hour delay sounds suspiciously like the current problems out of LGW, and if that is the case then there are very different rules compared to a domestic or TB one.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rehoult
Could you clarify what flights you are talking about?
OP has posted in the LGW thread as well, so that must be the one.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OP has posted in the LGW thread as well, so that must be the one.
In that case, look into the Montreal Convention, and, naturally, WestJet's International Tariff. Plus, if the departure is from LGW, European regulation applies, which offers a lot more protection than Canadian law:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.