Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can companion fare be used for a multi-city trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I am looking at possibly using a companion fare, Caribbean $299 version, to book a multi-segment trip.

Example: YYC-YUL-GCM-YYC. (To and from GCM is a connection through YYZ.)

Terms and conditions state "round trip" but I see in previous threads that open jaw was mentioned as a companion fare usage as well.

Has anyone been able to book a multi-segment using a companion fare?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:51 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
You cannot use a companion fare for a multi-city itinerary. (Short connections are OK, but not more than one stopover.)

~Darren
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:58 am

When I inquired some time ago, I was told that multi-city and open jaws were generally not permitted. However, they would have manually booked a "slightly open" jaw, like starting in YYC and returning to YEG.

YMMV
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

I did finally get a chance to call in, clarify the Companion Fare rules and book a return flight X 2. The call centre rep was very helpful.

I didn't book an open jaw and wasn't able to book multicity, as per Darren's info. The only option was to book a straight return flight, from the list of published fares. I couldn't even create a mini-stopoff by taking an early flight to YYZ as a connection, as it wasn't a published fare. Possible option right now is perhaps using the Gold benefit of changing to an earlier flight at check in for the outbound--that might work subject to availability.

For our purposes, it is +1 for Aeroplan for ease of booking rewards with options and online bookings.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by YYCishome
Thanks for the info!

I did finally get a chance to call in, clarify the Companion Fare rules and book a return flight X 2. The call centre rep was very helpful.

I didn't book an open jaw and wasn't able to book multicity, as per Darren's info. The only option was to book a straight return flight, from the list of published fares. I couldn't even create a mini-stopoff by taking an early flight to YYZ as a connection, as it wasn't a published fare. Possible option right now is perhaps using the Gold benefit of changing to an earlier flight at check in for the outbound--that might work subject to availability.

For our purposes, it is +1 for Aeroplan for ease of booking rewards with options and online bookings.
Your companion wont be able to use the gold benefit of changing to an earlier flight, though.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Your companion wont be able to use the gold benefit of changing to an earlier flight, though.
Correct, companion fare passenger could be charged the change fee.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by YYCishome
Correct, companion fare passenger could be charged the change fee.
Plus fare difference, I believe. Which can be substantial day-of.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Plus fare difference, I believe. Which can be substantial day-of.
It would be change fee only, no fare difference for day of travel changes, at airport; I have called to clarify. It would be subject to availability of course.

As per the WestJet web page: ....."10 Changing to an earlier flight, or re-accommodation for a missed flight, to the same origin and destination on the same day of travel must be requested at the time of check in (or at the airport within two hours of a missed flight) and is subject to availability. Difference in fare will not be charged or refunded for a change to an earlier or missed flight....."

Thanks for pointing out the possibility though.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:43 am

Darren is correct - perservere

I followed up on the Open Jaw concept and refused to take no for an answer - I had faith in what I read.

I had my Agent contact a Supervisor who confirmed that I could do a Companion Fare

Edmonton to Maui

Phoenix to Edmonton

I would have to pay the Hawaii Companion Fare, but I think that is fair.

I didn't book it since it was for future reference.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnOClark
I followed up on the Open Jaw concept and refused to take no for an answer - I had faith in what I read.

I had my Agent contact a Supervisor who confirmed that I could do a Companion Fare

Edmonton to Maui

Phoenix to Edmonton

I would have to pay the Hawaii Companion Fare, but I think that is fair.

I didn't book it since it was for future reference.
Thanks JohnOClark, that is good to know especially for Hawaii flights, into one island and out of another. Interisland flights there are frequent and relatively cheap.

It got a little trickier for our Grand Cayman flights, with the connection and no desire to island hop!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:33 pm

Email response from Westjet for this question:

"Can the companion fare be used in conjunction with an itinerary containing a stop-over and/or an open-jaw?"

"Your companion voucher may be used to book an open-jaw however not a stop-over that is unscheduled.

Loyalty Coordinator, WestJet Rewards"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.