Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WIFI on Westjet Flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
It takes 3 weeks to install Wifi on your aircraft? Lufthansa install Wifi on their aircraft in Europe in 4 days!
Taking an aircraft out of service just to install wifi is very inefficient, especially when the MRO is on the other side of the continent. Basically the whole of the cabin is stripped to the insulation and the Live TV system is demodded, this requires skin modifications on some aircraft. Then new seats, 110V/USB power and wiring, carpet and interior panel replacement is carried out as needed, door discrete switches and wiring, satellite antenna, electronics bay modifications as necessary, new wiring for access points, broadband controller, server, IFEC system install and testing. In some cases split scimitar winglets are added, too.

Overall a complete cabin refresh during the 3 week period.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:15 pm

I dont understand the ins and outs of what is being discussed here, but im going from london to vancouver on WS23

will that plane have wifi at all?

cheers
Old May 2, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ash213
I dont understand the ins and outs of what is being discussed here, but im going from london to vancouver on WS23

will that plane have wifi at all?

cheers
Yes, if you download the WestJet iPhone or Android App or have a Windows PC or Macbook, for free you can stream the 500 or so hours of movies, TV programs or live news and sports to your device, view the 3D moving map or read newsfeed articles. You can also pay for Internet access from 30 mins up to the full flight. Here is the link to the detailed info: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel.../entertainment
Old May 2, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Yes, if you download the WestJet iPhone or Android App or have a Windows PC or Macbook, for free you can stream the 500 or so hours of movies, TV programs or live news and sports to your device, view the 3D moving map or read newsfeed articles. You can also pay for Internet access from 30 mins up to the full flight. Here is the link to the detailed info: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel.../entertainment

ok great, so all planes on that route will definately have the internet access?

ill need it for the full flight.

what speeds are we looking at, internet wise?

thanks
Old May 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ash213
ok great, so all planes on that route will definately have the internet access?

ill need it for the full flight.

what speeds are we looking at, internet wise?

thanks
Depending on which of the 3 satellites you are connected to during the flight, the aircraft will typically have 10Mbps available, shared between the number of people signing up for Internet connectivity. Normally 10 to 20 people would be active at a given time, less on a night flight.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:28 am

Depending on which of the 3 satellites you are connected to during the flight, the aircraft will typically have 10Mbps available, shared between the number of people signing up for Internet connectivity. Normally 10 to 20 people would be active at a given time, less on a night flight.
Thanks.

Is there "better" seats than others for the wifi speed/connection?
Old May 3, 2017, 12:25 pm

No specific seats that have a good or bad signal. There are 6 access points with 12 radios in the 767 with the signal strength adjusted to give as even as possible coverage throughout the whole cabin. Sometimes a single radio band can be over utilised, but it is normally temporary as devices can be switched dynamically to other access points when contention is detected. Video streaming is the hardest on the available bandwidth, but we have been able to sustain 160 concurrent video streams over the cabin wireless network.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Curious how we can check if our flights will have internet access. I have some work to do while in flight that requires server access.
WJ114 on the 27th (Vancouver to Calgary) and WJ1534 on the 27th (Calgary to Houston). Any way to know for sure?
Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:18 am

No way to know for sure if the aircraft will have WestJet Connect, but probability wise it is most likely. At the moment the specific aircraft hasn’t been assigned to either of those flights, but both are scheduled to be 737-700s, of which 83% have WestJet Connect.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
No way to know for sure if the aircraft will have WestJet Connect, but probability wise it is most likely. At the moment the specific aircraft hasn’t been assigned to either of those flights, but both are scheduled to be 737-700s, of which 83% have WestJet Connect.
Thanks. Good chance that at least one of the two will then!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Jennacdn
Curious how we can check if our flights will have internet access. I have some work to do while in flight that requires server access.
WJ114 on the 27th (Vancouver to Calgary) and WJ1534 on the 27th (Calgary to Houston). Any way to know for sure?
Thanks!
You will get an email reminder 24 hours before your first flight that will indicate whether the aircraft scheduled is equipped with WestJet Connect (look for the section about in-flight entertainment). Unless there is a last minute aircraft swap, this has been pretty reliable in my experience.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Tried unsuccessfully to get WestJet Connect to play movies on WS2206 3rd Jan. YEG-CUN on my laptop. I was able to find the wi-fi and could pull up the portal where you click for movies, TV, etc. but didn't work and get saying I needed to use the WS app. which is only for martphones and tablets, not laptops. Gave up after a while and went to Plan B which is a handy paperback but heard later the couple behind me was also having troubles so maybe not a technical difficulty on my end. A little annoying and hope to avoid a repeat performance on my return next week.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Tried unsuccessfully to get WestJet Connect to play movies on WS2206 3rd Jan. YEG-CUN on my laptop. I was able to find the wi-fi and could pull up the portal where you click for movies, TV, etc. but didn't work and get saying I needed to use the WS app. which is only for martphones and tablets, not laptops. Gave up after a while and went to Plan B which is a handy paperback but heard later the couple behind me was also having troubles so maybe not a technical difficulty on my end. A little annoying and hope to avoid a repeat performance on my return next week.
Check that your laptop can install the necessary Flash plug-in for DRM compatibility. In this FAQ: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...estjet-connect, select "TV shows and movies" and then read down from "Do I need a plug-in installed?" In particular, check "I have downloaded the plugin, but I still get the Flash download option. How can I resolve this?", as it may be a case of making sure that Flash is enabled in your browser.

If you are using Edge for your browser, Flash should be built in, but many people have found it problematic (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a049eed?auth=1), it may be better to use Chrome or Firefox in that case.

You should be able to test if your Flash installation is working by going here https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, it should indicate you have a valid version installed.

Last edited by aerobod; Jan 5, 2018 at 3:57 pm Reason: Add link to Adobe Flash test page.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'm on a new Chromebook and yes, it has the latest Adobe® Flash® Player built-in.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm on a new Chromebook and yes, it has the latest Adobe® Flash® Player built-in.
Unfortunately ChromeOS and other Linux operating system variants are not supported, as there are only DRM plugins available that will work on Windows or Mac OSX operating systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.