Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

YYZ T3 - WestJet Re-opens T3 A/B Annex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ T3 - WestJet Re-opens T3 A/B Annex

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Just booked an itinerary YVR-YYZ-YFC in September and only then noticed (it's been a rough week) that it's a 42 minute connection time in T3.

Is this a do-able connection time?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's tight but possible, though checked bags may be an issue. However, WS wouldn't book such a connection if it weren't possible, and if your YFC flight is a Q400 these take checked bags right up to the door closing.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's tight but possible, though checked bags may be an issue. However, WS wouldn't book such a connection if it weren't possible, and if your YFC flight is a Q400 these take checked bags right up to the door closing.
Thanks. I'll have 2 checked bags (work stuff) so I can easily see a situation where I make it but my bags don't - but I can live with that level of risk.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Must admit it is a long trek to the main terminal and both last Wednesday and last night the main down escalator at the pier was shut down making it a tough slog with heavy carry-ons for a lot of people. One of the walkways was also down last night. GTAA has a sorry record of keeping these things working. As for the 20-minute guarantee of checked bag delivery, not sure when the clock starts ticking, but even if it's when one leaves the plane, it took more than 20-minutes for the bags to arrive off my YEG flight, and a good half hour before any over-sized items came down into that area.

Must say the domestic T3 baggage area is a dank and dreary space, and isn't it time they refresh the signage that refers to the area as a "customs hall"?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:12 am

As for the 20-minute guarantee of checked bag delivery, not sure when the clock starts ticking, but even if it's when one leaves the plane, it took more than 20-minutes for the bags to arrive off my YEG flight, and a good half hour before any over-sized items came down into that area.
The clock starts ticking from when the first guest reaches the arrivals hall. Not sure how that's monitored though.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCguy
The clock starts ticking from when the first guest reaches the arrivals hall. Not sure how that's monitored though.
So adding another 15-minutes for the trek from the new pier gives WS a huge advantage.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:58 am

So adding another 15-minutes for the trek from the new pier gives WS a huge advantage.
I've not experienced that trek since the last time Westjet was stuck in "No Man's Land". I am not looking forward to non-working escalators and moving walkways!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to mention the walk from where the tunnel starts at the very end of the domestic terminal pier! This is a big minus for WS and I really can't see their positive spin meaning much after passengers have endured this "death march". GTAA should have dedicated the remote pier to US transborder flights and put the tunnel entry after security. This endurance test is as bad as the transborder commuter pier in T1...though the tunnel scenery isn't all that bad with photomurals along the way.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
YUL-YYZ-LGA on Westjet at YYZ T3

I will be arriving from YUL to YYZ T3, probably landing at B or C gates.

I do not need to leave the terminal since I will have no checked luggage.

Do I have to go through the security again when transferring to gates A?

At what point do I clear the US customs and immigration?

I have 2 hours between the flight. There is no lounge at the US departures and I could use the Plaza Premium before going to A gates area.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Vaclav
I will be arriving from YUL to YYZ T3, probably landing at B or C gates.

I do not need to leave the terminal since I will have no checked luggage.

1. Do I have to go through the security again when transferring to gates A?

2. At what point do I clear the US customs and immigration?

3. I have 2 hours between the flight. There is no lounge at the US departures and I could use the Plaza Premium before going to A gates area.
1. Yes, security is prior to USCBP facilities.

2. You clear USCBP at YYZ.

3. My recommendation would be to skip the PP lounge on the domestic side. Best case scenario you would only have 20 minutes in the PP lounge.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Already back

Yes, I have found on my own that indeed, once has to go through the security again.

I wonder why they would not arrange at YYZ T3 direct access to the US customs and immigration for connecting passengers?

It was way too long to fly YUL-YYZ-LGA and back. On the other hand all four flight legs turned out to be very good flights. And WJ has an absolutely great passenger agent at LGA gates at the D terminal. I am referring to the gentleman who was there last night. He even came onboard to help rearrange the overhead bins to store more carry-on items.

Most important - all my flights were on time.

Overall, it was a very good experience. ^
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Vaclav
I wonder why they would not arrange at YYZ T3 direct access to the US customs and immigration for connecting passengers?
CATSA and TSA have an agreement whereby CATSA will require it screening officers to abide by TSA screening protocols for preclearance flights. Therefore CATSA must ensure that all regular stream pax go through the shoes off exercise and for SSSS individuals to receive the TSA enhanced screening.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:43 pm

It is great service that they print the Ssss on the boarding pass. That way you know not to go through security if you have anything to hide. Come back another day.

Then again, TSA gives me that treatment almost every time anyway, wether it says Ssss or not.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Are these gates used for all domestic flights? Have a domestic-domestic coming up and the connection time has been reduced to 1 hr (and correspondingly longer layover at YYC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.