Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet to Improve Premium Economy/Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet to Improve Premium Economy/Plus

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by JTXC
Never flown WS before, but this enhancement is impressive. I just did a dummy booking YWG-YYZ and the fare comes in at $823; AC in J is c. $1450 (overpriced for the product on offer). I am definitely going to try this. This might win over from defectors from AC.
You can't compare Westjet PE to AC J class. This is not even close to the same cabin. For starter, there is no hot food and does not get you into a louge. Seats on WestJet are closer together and not as wide. Westjet PE is basically AC preferred seating in Y.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Progressively they are becoming more business travel friendly. Air Canada is progressively moving in the other direction.

They inherited proper business class seats with the used 767 joining the fleet. Hopefully they start putting proper business class seats in the 737 with new aircraft coming in. At least do the same thing as some of the European carriers where they can move the middle armrest inwards.
How is AC progressively moving away from business friendly travel. Did AC closes louges. Do they limited the Qty of seat selection or louge visits? Westjet is not putting in proper J class seats in there 767's. Plus AC FF program is light years ahead of Westjets, even with the cut backs.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
No, not unless they start putting ovens on board there 737's for hot food.
It's a start, rather then spend millions to retrofit all their planes their starting small with the 767 and offering better seats with hot meals. For domestic travel some people would welcome these changes Westjet is making and could be a sign of more to come. I think that majority of people on the AC boards would agree that if there was a better alternative to meet their needs they would jump on that. I personally think Westjet is making the right moves to get their feet wet in premium travel. You never know, we could start seeing WS lounges pop up, they entering in OW alliance, lie flat to Europe. It's a start with a long road ahead.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc234
It's a start, rather then spend millions to retrofit all their planes their starting small with the 767 and offering better seats with hot meals. For domestic travel some people would welcome these changes Westjet is making and could be a sign of more to come. I think that majority of people on the AC boards would agree that if there was a better alternative to meet their needs they would jump on that. I personally think Westjet is making the right moves to get their feet wet in premium travel. You never know, we could start seeing WS lounges pop up, they entering in OW alliance, lie flat to Europe. It's a start with a long road ahead.
We could see WS louges and lie flat seats, but that's not WS business model. These extras cost a lot of $$$ and WS is all about cost control. They will not even give there best FF unlimited seat selection.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just did a quick test to see what the difference in price is pre and post changes, using my favourite route - YYZ-LAS. WS has increased the base fare for Plus seating on this route by a whopping $25 each way after blocking the middle seat (it actually shows up as blocked when you check available seating). After tax the increase is $27.50 per leg. No complaints here on that increase to ensure no one sits beside me!

Edit: I wonder if they did this to try to increase the advanced sale of Plus seats rather than having most of them subject to upgrading during the 24-hour check-in period.

Edit #2: Here's a little math to show how WS can actually make money by doing this. My assumptions are:
Before blocking middle seat, 1/3 of Plus seats (6) are sold in advance for a fare difference over Econo of $200 per seat. The rest of the plus seats (12) are sold as upgrades for $75. Total additional revenue over Econo = $2100.
After blocking middle seat, 75% of Plus seats (9) are sold in advance for a fare difference over Econo of $225 per seat. The rest of the plus seats (3) are sold as upgrades for $75. Total additional revenue over Econo = $2250. WS actually comes out ahead if it works this way, despite cutting 6 seats.

Last edited by Gogie; May 6, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
You can't compare Westjet PE to AC J class. This is not even close to the same cabin. For starter, there is no hot food and does not get you into a louge. Seats on WestJet are closer together and not as wide. Westjet PE is basically AC preferred seating in Y.
Yep. And 3x3 with the middle seat blocked certainly is worse than AC 2x2. Now having said that, I'll be looking at pricing.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yep. And 3x3 with the middle seat blocked certainly is worse than AC 2x2. Now having said that, I'll be looking at pricing.
Price always coming into play for most of us. Where is the cut off point on price? I think at $50 more, I'm still in with AC, MLL is a $20 to $30 value min each visit (personally) and AC point program is still well ahead of Westjet's. Plus AC has hot food and better entertainment system.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Price always coming into play for most of us. Where is the cut off point on price? I think at $50 more, I'm still in with AC, MLL is a $20 to $30 value min each visit (personally) and AC point program is still well ahead of Westjet's. Plus AC has hot food and better entertainment system.
If you feel so strongly that AC is all that and a bag of chips, then why post here? Enjoy their Attitude program and be done with it.

Or, like me, do you find it is their attitude that leads you to consider other options?
Old May 7, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Well, at this point, I'm going to give AC another shot once they get that faux 2x2 system (keyword: faux, I'm aware it's 3x3 technically). I'd like to see if zonal boarding is actually working now, whether or not zone 1's board first and I'd like to try out the new IFE.

The Aeroplan partnership is hard to beat though although. I don't even use the MLL's when possible as I prefer the PPL, although PPL's aren't everywhere, although YWG is apparently getting one!

If it all works out well, if it's $50 more, yeah I can get away with expensing that. I just wish the damn receipts wouldn't say "Premium Economy" though.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
If you feel so strongly that AC is all that and a bag of chips, then why post here? Enjoy their Attitude program and be done with it.

Or, like me, do you find it is their attitude that leads you to consider other options?
For me, the latter. Although the scales are tipping me flying WS more than AC every single month I post on FT

And why post on this board? It's more on topic than posting on the AC board.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gogie
I just did a quick test to see what the difference in price is pre and post changes, using my favourite route - YYZ-LAS. WS has increased the base fare for Plus seating on this route by a whopping $25 each way after blocking the middle seat (it actually shows up as blocked when you check available seating). After tax the increase is $27.50 per leg. No complaints here on that increase to ensure no one sits beside me!

Edit: I wonder if they did this to try to increase the advanced sale of Plus seats rather than having most of them subject to upgrading during the 24-hour check-in period.

Edit #2: Here's a little math to show how WS can actually make money by doing this. My assumptions are:
Before blocking middle seat, 1/3 of Plus seats (6) are sold in advance for a fare difference over Econo of $200 per seat. The rest of the plus seats (12) are sold as upgrades for $75. Total additional revenue over Econo = $2100.
After blocking middle seat, 75% of Plus seats (9) are sold in advance for a fare difference over Econo of $225 per seat. The rest of the plus seats (3) are sold as upgrades for $75. Total additional revenue over Econo = $2250. WS actually comes out ahead if it works this way, despite cutting 6 seats.
+1. Great post, I'm with you there.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
As a leisure travaler (2-3 trips per year), I can never justify paying extra money for things like Premium Economy or Business Class. For advance seat selection, I will use all tricks in my arsenal to get good seats for free !
Old May 7, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre

I believe I'm on topic. No, I'm not considering leaving AC because of the changes to AC FF program. Did sign up to WestJet Gold(status match), but ran out of benefited in 1 month. WestJet's FF program had to grow large amounts before I would drop AC for Dom flights as my number 1 airline.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC1MME75KBAGLDSPGGLD
Originally Posted by roastpuff
One could say that they are matching Rouge - Premium Rouge on the 767 is 2-2-2, and the A319's have intra-Europe style 2-2 J seats.
They ain't matching Rouge if they keep Y seats decent and keep better trained inflight.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How are couples going to be seated in Plus rows ? Will they be separated by the middle seat ? What if they have a kidd ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.