Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Zones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Boarding Zones

Last night I was talking to a colleague, a current AC E50K, about switching some of our business to Westjet. He claimed that Westjet used zones for boarding for a trip he took earlier this month. I don't recall Westjet ever using zones? Is this something new? If so, what are the zones???
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Last few times I flew with westjet - they either boarded back to front (which priority on emergency rows) or they were did general boarding because it wasn't too busy. I don't recall them ever using zones either.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Probably depending on the direction.. No zone when I flew YYC - SAN, but zone was printed on my boarding pass SAN - YYC...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:47 pm

WestJet has indeed introduced boarding zones/priority rules:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23548901-post10.html

We recently changed our boarding process. Our guests are now boarded in the following groups:
- Pre-boarding (guests needing assistance, families, etc.)
- Seats in Plus, announced as "rows 1-4". (Once tiers are launched on October 29, the announcement will read "rows 1-4 and WestJet Rewards Gold members.)
- Rows 17+
- Rows 11+
- All remaining guests
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Long time lurker....first time helper!

I have flown Westjet a few times lately and to add to sokolov's link...what's also included with the pre-boarding section are the exit rows (in my experience anyway...four times).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:54 am

Zone boarding is recently new, and is supposed to help speed up boarding, and for the most part, it does.

Pre-boarding (guests needing assistance, families WITH SMALL CHILDREN, etc.) + EMERGENCY EXIT ROWS

ZONE 1: Seats in Plus, announced as "rows 1-4". (Once tiers are launched on October 29, the announcement will read "rows 1-4 and WestJet Rewards Gold members.)

THEN, ZONE 2: Rows 17+

THEN, ZONE 3: Rows 11+

THEN, ZONE 4: ROWS 5+
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:01 am

I do hope that WS adopt some of the US airlines queueing system (i.e. forming 4 separate lines for the 4 zones). US Air in Phoenix for me was an example of what not to do, multiple zones but only one line so mass confusion, no better than boarding by rows before.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Several
I just posted in another thread on this. Last night flying yvr to HNL they did call by zone. First was pre boarders as noted above. Then they called zone 1 and gold. Of course there were none so the GA started to call the next zone but everyone just stood and lined up as is usually the case on wesjet. All worked well and he plane was boarded early.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC
I just posted in another thread on this. Last night flying yvr to HNL they did call by zone. First was pre boarders as noted above. Then they called zone 1 and gold. Of course there were none so the GA started to call the next zone but everyone just stood and lined up as is usually the case on wesjet. All worked well and he plane was boarded early.
Interesting. I heard them calling out zones last week at YQR while I was waiting to board a DL flight and was confused about what they were up to.

WS has always been very efficient at boarding passengers so I wonder why they want to change things? Zone boarding works very well on airlines like UA, but largely because they have separate lines for each of their zones: no confusion and it's easy to be at the front of the line for the zone you're in. I can see this slowing things down for WS rather than speed them up.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by arf04
Interesting. I heard them calling out zones last week at YQR while I was waiting to board a DL flight and was confused about what they were up to.

WS has always been very efficient at boarding passengers so I wonder why they want to change things? Zone boarding works very well on airlines like UA, but largely because they have separate lines for each of their zones: no confusion and it's easy to be at the front of the line for the zone you're in. I can see this slowing things down for WS rather than speed them up.
With boarding zones it is acknowledged that it is slower than random boarding actually getting people onboard the aircraft, but when the whole aircraft turn process is taken into account including dealing with gate checked bags, guest settling, etc, the tests indicate it is a bit more efficient, predictable and less stressful for guests.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Westjet Gold, Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Platinum
Air Canada is changing its boarding to be by zones in early December

Air_Canada_adopts_new_boarding_policy_with_five_zo nes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.